Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major vs 38 thread # 2,927,642

MikeRush

I have a Cheely Comp.

124gr Precision Delta JHP

7.1gr Winchester Autocomp

C.O.L. 1.165

The reason I said that is because I am new to USPSA and Open Division and at first was not sure if I should go 9 major or .38 super comp. Before I ordered my gun I talked to a lot of people I shoot with and read a lot of post on this sight. The older post seem to go for .38 super comp and the newer post are beginning to come over to 9mm major. When Bobby at Freedom called me before starting my build I asked him if I should go with 9mm major which I showed on the build list I sent him or go with .38 super comp. He recommended I go with 9mm major. So far both guns very well and I am have a great time shooting Open.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect your doubts come for it not shooting as flat as you expected it to?

A lighter bullet, slower powder or a different comp would all help that gun shoot flatter.

115s with HS6 would be a big improvement, 3n38 better still (but twice as much money).

A lighter bullet, slower powder or a different comp would all help that gun shoot flatter.

115s with HS6 would be a big improvement, 3n38 better still (but twice as much money).

I had a 9mm barrel fitted to my gun. Its just a trubor t2 comp in 9mm barrel. Right now, I have only fiddled with 3n37 and 3n38 with 124's. Loading with 3n38 is a little tedious, need to go just a touch slower, getting 8.3 into the case they are quite nearly full to brim, but they do shoot just fine.

What is the hs6 recipe with 115's exactly? I want to try...

Thanks kneelingatlas. I will give your suggestion a try. How would Autocomp work with the a 115gr bullet? I also did not mention I have 3 poppel holes in the barrel.

Edited by S&W686

Thanks kneelingatlas. I will give your suggestion a try. How would Autocomp work with the a 115gr bullet? I also did not mention I have 3 poppel holes in the barrel.

With three holes it might take closer to 9gr which is OK to load as long as you don't run the press like a drunken sailor ;)

WAC will work too, just a little harder in the hand.