Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Someone Going to Tell me I'm Using the Wrong Grips

Smitty79

I've been a USPSA member for about 6 months and I've finally got my Production gun where I feel great about it.

I tried, and didn't like, thin aluminum, thick aluminum and lemon grater grips. I don't like flat grips.

I've liked Copper Gun Grips and the stock rubber grips. I like grips with palm swell.

I'm still a newbie. Is someone going to tell me that not using flat grips is holding me back? Should I hang on the the flat grips?

I'd prefer to sell them. But I don't want to sell them and then need to buy them again when a go to a class and they tell me I should get them. Is there a technical reason why all of the "cool" guns have flat grips?

I'm going through the same thing. I really WANT to like the aluminum grips. They look better! But the larger rubber grips fit my hands better and the gun just seems to lock into place with them.

I go back and forth between the rubber grips and the stock plastic grips covered with grit tape. Use what works for you, not what someone else tells you because they don't look as cool..

Use what works for you. I happen to like the thin aluminum grips and was considering trying something with a more aggressive checker instead of the tape grip but I'm not really motivated as the thin Al seems to work just fine for me plus I like the way it looks.

Rubber grips here or the plastic with skateboard tape. thin aluminum did not work for me.. If the mindset is you like the rubber grips run them and one less thing on your mind when they say make ready!

I feel like I need to scan the stock rubber grips and then get them 3D printed or milled in another material. I think LOTS of people would did them.

You only have so much attention to "spend" while shooting. If the stock grips allow you to shoot with less attention spent on the gun, the better.

And as others have said, anyone that is soo dogmatic in training that only one grip type panel is correct maybe shouldn't be the person you receive training from....

I take the contoured plastic grips and cover the outside checkered surface with two part epoxy and then shake 120 grit silicon carbide all over them. I go back and forth between these and the large checkered VZ grips.

DSCN1399_zpseoom6jue.jpg

DSCN1397_zpsyadjp1nh.jpg

They don't look as blue in "real life" or if the lighting correct (quick pics).

I run the thick DAA grips because I have bigger hands. I wish some one out there would make better grips, with some contour not just flat.

If some one would start making more of a custom grip I sure every one that owns a shadow would buy them. The companies out there making aluminum 2011 grips should jump on this.