Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which sight for Tactical?

Jim Norman

If you are like me, there is a good chance that you have a shelf, closet or drawer full of miscellaneous gear. Things you bought that you just had to have, but after you got them, you weren't as sure that the switch was worth it.

Currently I have more scopes and dots than I have guns to put them on. I started with an AR-15 A2, put a forward low mount and an Aimpoint, then added a 3-9 variable with carry handle mount, next got a flat top, added a 1-4 Leupold and then a Eotech.

Now I know there is no "Right Answer" as to which sight is right. I have an opinion. Those of you that know me might find that hard to believe.

I am currently leaning towards going back a step, a low power (1-4) scope. For close in, I find it works similar to an ACOG close up in tghat I simply see through it as well as around it. As my eyes have aged, the ability to zoom to 4x is nice.

Now, the problem is, what am I giving away here? In my mind I get greater accuracy at 200-300 yards. I see the mid range targets fine, and the upclose of course are OK as long as you remember the centerline difference.

So lets see what the poll shows. Feel free to leave comments.

Jim

I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20mm on my Colt that is my 3-Gun rifle.

I will admit that I have been using a red dot (on other guns) lately since the longest shots at our club matches have been in the 35-40 yard range.

When I do "real" 3-Gun, however, it's the Leupold.

For tactical too, you'd never use just iron sights right? Otherwise you'd be Limited. And tactical can use one optic and iron sights?

I'm looking for a side-sight. That would really help with the ~25yd shots, when the scope just slows you down..

I recently switched from an EO tech to a 1-4 Burris. Ran thru several drills and one match with the scope and found nothing but good results. Used it in a tire house with shots as close as 10 feet and found it just as fast as a dot. Have not shot any farther than 200 yards, but believe it will be much better than the dot at distance. I can't find a reason at this time to go back to the dot. I think the real key to the scope is having it mounted so that you get the perfect sight picture when you snap the gun up. My times with the dot and scope were the same across the board, and I gained long range accuracy with the scope. The scope stays...

Careful BerKim, that's a true statement for USPSA Tactical class but not so for SMM3G or Rocky Mtn. Tactical.

Opps.. After Area-2 just have that on the brain..

Looking at SMM3G... isn't it the same?

They seem to have Tactical Iron = USPSA Limited, and Tacitcal Scoped = USPSA Tactical?

I heard that some (California Series?) uses Bipods, and some don't?

Couldn't find Rocky Mtn.

Just starting, and want to make sure I have the right equipment, or at least, don't have illegal equipment.

A Pipper. Grease pencil mark on the windscreen...very effective and accurate. This is on the 2nd focal plane and will not increase or decrease in size, only the target.

You reckon this will make Major?

255709.jpg

You reckon this will make Major?

with photos like that you are going to set AH6IP off ! :)

You need an Apache to make major!

Little birds are production or BUG division!

....and with comments like that you are definately gonna set him off !!! :huh:

In response to the poll......I kinda like to be different and I, and a few others I met last year at RM3G like the challange of Iron

At SMM3G there is a Tactical class with subdivisions of iron and scoped rifles. The shooters shoot against each other in the pistol and shotgun stages but when it comes to rifle stages the top iron shooter gets 100 points and the top scoped shooter gets 100 points for the stage and so on down the line. Alot can depend on who shoots what. There is no seperate division for scope and iron at SMM3G. Tactical division is like the old SOF.

• 5 weeks later...
At SMM3G there is a Tactical class with subdivisions of iron and scoped rifles.    The shooters shoot against each other in the pistol and shotgun stages but when it comes to rifle stages the top iron shooter gets 100 points and the top scoped shooter gets 100 points for the stage and so on down the line.  Alot can depend on who shoots what.  There is no seperate division for scope and iron at SMM3G.  Tactical division is like the old SOF.

Old SOF huh kellyn? I shotthat a few times in the early 90's. I am just now getting back into shooting after 11 years of NOT! I have a match Hbar and my M1 super 90 also have a colt 1911 45, browning high power and a glock 19. Any suggestions as to what pistol is best for 3 gunning? Maybe a high cap .40? Looked at the new springfield sd tactical today, looks nice and has metal mags unlike the glocks, which drop free dont seem to mean drop free... :angry: Just want to get back shooting again and if all I may need is another high cap pistol in a major pf, then so be it. I just want to be able to compete again! Cant put optics on the Ar, as it has a carry handle and scoping it would put the line of sight way high! Benelli also has reg sights and justthe 18 1/2" CB barrel on it. Any help in the what guns/optics to use in my situation would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance folks! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I like the Aimpoint scopes now that they have the magnifier available.

I have an ML2 mounted on my rifle, that works great on the up close stages.

Then when we go to a stage with 100 yard + shots I can add the magnifier which snaps on the rail behind the ML2. It adds 3X power and works fine on the distance shots. Since it is just a magnifier that goes on behind it does not change the zero and can be quickly added or removed.

This photo has the Aimpoint quick mount on the mag, I like the ARMs 22M68s instead since they come competely off the rail. The Aimpoint mount leaves the base on when the mag is off.

mountedmagnifier.jpg