Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124-125 grain bullet that allows longest oal?

Garmil

Using blue bullets 125 in my ts right now and having to load to 1.085. I'd like to be able to go longer.

What bullets have you used that allow a longer oal than most in this weight range?

CZ's are notoriously short chambered. Most loads I see are in the 1.10 or less range. Extreme or MG RN's are much more graduated towards the tip allowing longer oals typically. I learned that BBI have the most bulbous nose and require shorter oals to fit.

I had this same problem in my SP-01. I now use the 124 Bayou RN. I load my bullets to 1.150" using them. If you look at the pictures on their website, you will see why that profile allows me to load them that long. Great guy to buy from also, super fast shipping.

I would suggest getting your barrel reamed to accommodate a longer OAL

I have done this as well to ensure reliable feeding. I use a reamer that I picked up from manson reamers to increase the headspace while leaving the chamber length intact.

If you don't want to go this route, the Precision Delta 124g FMJ can be loaded up to 1.145 with the stock barrels. However, I advise to load to 1.140 or less to allow for OAL variation.

The xtreme 124gn RN are not my fav bullet but they can be loaded long as they have a much sharper shape to them (many shoot and love them).

Since you're shooting coated already you might be able to find someone doing a 125gn conical. They can be loaded really long.

Maybe try a sample of these. these are a truncated cone. a conical is basically the same but the tip is round which does aid feeding reliability a bit.

for $7.50 for a 100 round sample it's worth a try. http://www.bayoubullets.net/9mm-124-gr-tcg-100-ct/

The other nice thing about that shape is no lube groove. gives more bearing surface. easier to seat at any depth and they shoot better too. :)

Xtreme. I like 147's at 1.15.

I second this. I haven't found another 147gr bullet that can achieve this OAL. But since the OP was inquiring about 124's, the Xtreme 124gr RN can be loaded very long as with the Bayou 124gr RN.

Xtreme. I like 147's at 1.15.

I second this. I haven't found another 147gr bullet that can achieve this OAL. But since the OP was inquiring about 124's, the Xtreme 124gr RN can be loaded very long as with the Bayou 124gr RN.

The current version of the Bear Creek 147g Truncated noses has a shoulder so the profile is slightly slimmer. I have loaded out to 1.15 but I tend to stay at 1.13 because I like crimping right after the shoulder.