Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Steel Challenge Dying?

drysideshooter

First time poster, had to say something. So nobody ends up in trouble there is NO, I repeat NO, exception to the assault weapon ban in California. I'm not sure what or who you asked on Calguns but they are dead wrong. You actually believe California give enough of a s*** about competitions to build in an exemption for them, come on?? Police officers can't even build their own "assault" weapon without a department letterhead-Bullet button for everbody unless you build featureless. Just because nobody pays any attention to the laws at the matches does not make what they are doing legal. Just to be 100% clear, there are NO exceptions to California's assault weapon ban for the odinary citizen. Please do not get yourself into any trouble for our stupid laws.

And what does this have to do with Steel Challenge and USPSA's mismanagement of it?

How's this for mismanagment?... Putting a major match in a state where large numbers of the potential competitors would be committing a felony just by crossing a state line. Bringing in tax dollars that support the facists and the apparatus enacting and enforcing those laws. Those dollars are a drop in the proverbial bucket but, there is such a thing as standing on principles.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To have a match you first have to have a range and people to run the range. All the pontification about California is pointless. The Steel Challenge started in California, which, BTW, has the most USPSA shooters by state. I feel the same way as all of you do. When I decided to shoot the Steel Challenge I went to California. Guess what. I loved it, had a great time, made some lifelong friends that I miss dearly now that I don't get to go there for the match. The drive into the Range is breathtaking and you can feel the history that was made there. Are things more expensive there. Yep. I plan for 20-40% more expense there than most places I go. Funny thing is that it looks like any other place I go to shoot at, pretty much wherever I go.

I started with a single stack open gun. No problem shooting there. I then went to a double stack STI. No problem there. Could it have been a problem. Maybe. People still shoot in other states with Draconian laws. The shooters there know it is BS but they still find a way to shoot there.

Back to the grumbling at hand.

You have to have a range and people to run the match. There are not a lot of matches where you have enough bays to run the match and practice, which is what is necessary for the WSSC match. You can ask for a centrally located range for everyone.....um wait.....how about PASA in Illinois.....oh damn.....another communist state with Draconian laws.....and it is in the middle of nowhere....nothing to do at night......grumble grumble grumble.........Well it can handle the match and probably could come up with match staff if they had time to set it up. I don't think anyone asked, and people like to bitch about the location....so please spare me the location card.....PS.....I agree with you all about this......Oh wait.......Tulsa......no.....range could handle it......I don't know about staff to run it.....so.....

IF, and a big IF for this year........We may have a match if they can talk Art Leach into it at the Hogue Range. It really boils down to want. If you want to compete against the best shooters at the Big Match then you figure out how to go. Everything else is just talk. I want to go...but I also want to go the World Bianchi match in Australia/New Zealand next year, and may have to stay home and save Vacation days.......

Support the matches you can and promote it in your area. I have a feeling that things will be better for match planning at USPSA next year.....fingers crossed....

DougC

I hear you Doug but as long as the US Steel National Championship continues to be held in Florida, which Sean Berry plans to do for the forseeable future since he owns the range, you can shoot against the best in the world and stand on principle about communist states and their laws ... that's what I plan to do ... one of the few times you get to have your cake & eat it too ... :)

Roger that. I love coming down to FL in March to escape the snow and shoot for a week. The match was great. I just hope that it continues as it is set up.....We will certainly come as long as it lasts.

DougC

I hear you Doug but as long as the US Steel National Championship continues to be held in Florida, which Sean Berry plans to do for the forseeable future since he owns the range, you can shoot against the best in the world and stand on principle about communist states and their laws ... that's what I plan to do ... one of the few times you get to have your cake & eat it too ... :)

Please talk Sean into running it as a legit match and not an outlaw. IMO with no results posted to Steel Challenge web site it's outlaw.

Illinois has draconian/communist gun laws? News to me. No suppressors or other NFA items (yet) and RESIDENTS must have a FOID card ($10 per 10 years and easily obtainable) to own/buy guns/ammo. No its not the wild west, but nor is it California.

Hold it at Pro Gun Club in Boulder, NV. Make Pete Rensing run it. Plenty of space, easy travel, activities outside the match, gun friendly state, and it's on the opposite side of the country in an area with decent weather into the late fall. Close enough for CA folk to drive, far enough from FL to be separate.

Hold it at Pro Gun Club in Boulder, NV. Make Pete Rensing run it. Plenty of space, easy travel, activities outside the match, gun friendly state, and it's on the opposite side of the country in an area with decent weather into the late fall. Close enough for CA folk to drive, far enough from FL to be separate.

I like this idea!

Please talk Sean into running it as a legit match and not an outlaw. IMO with no results posted to Steel Challenge web site it's outlaw.

Unfrortunately I think they may be other things going on in the background along with the sale from Mike to Sean .... in 2014 there was some talk about some kind of long-term deal with USPSA but I have zero information on what it was about. Don't know why he wouldn't run a SCSA sanctioned match if he could since the monthly local match at his range is sanctioned ...

Must be why you entered the NSSF Rimfire WC this year. Everybody, including BJ, starts out even. One of the things I like about NSSF Rimfire is the decisions you have to make when you step into the box on a stage you have never shot before.

I was born in CA and I won't shoot a match there if somebody gave me a plane ticket. Reason I did not go to a Ruger Rimfire WC until they moved it to New Mexico in 2011 (and I drove from MD). Been to every one since plus the new NSSF version. Probably the funnest match I shoot all year.

Shooters, sorry to hijack, since we are on this topic, Please Help me out with a quick survey......

Would any So cal shooters be interested in an SCSA sanctioned Club again?

Genuine 8 stages, not a "fun" or "outlaw" steel match.

Reason why is mysellf and few core shooters are in talks with a popular club in starting a Steel Challenge club in So Cal / Los Angeles area. (No, not at Piru)

Here's why we like it:

1. Excellent gateway to action shooting/ IPSC/ USPSA/ IDPA
  2. Teaches ALOT for the shooter. Index, transitions Etc.
  3. Allows Rimfire! Unlike our USPSA / IDPA clubs
  4. Physical attributes not critical. Young and old can shoot it
  5. Challenging
  6. Bring it back to California

Please chime in with your input.

Thanks in advance

Shooters, sorry to hijack, since we are on this topic, Please Help me out with a quick survey......

Would any So cal shooters be interested in an SCSA sanctioned Club again?

Genuine 8 stages, not a "fun" or "outlaw" steel match.

Reason why is mysellf and few core shooters are in talks with a popular club in starting a Steel Challenge club in So Cal / Los Angeles area. (No, not at Piru)

Here's why we like it:

1. Excellent gateway to action shooting/ IPSC/ USPSA/ IDPA
  2. Teaches ALOT for the shooter. Index, transitions Etc.
  3. Allows Rimfire! Unlike our USPSA / IDPA clubs
  4. Physical attributes not critical. Young and old can shoot it
  5. Challenging
  6. Bring it back to California

Please chime in with your input.

Thanks in advance

I'd shoot it

• 2 weeks later...

Illinois has draconian/communist gun laws? News to me. No suppressors or other NFA items (yet) and RESIDENTS must have a FOID card ($10 per 10 years and easily obtainable) to own/buy guns/ammo. No its not the wild west, but nor is it California.

That's still draconian.

Even the wild west needs improvement. I'm in AZ and I still need X to legally own Y. If I put W and Z together, I'd have just created an illegal firearm. And if I held Q a certain way while shooting it (maybe don't even need to be shooting it), I'd be breaking the law, even here.

If I had xyz-toolset and klm-parts and abc-knowhow, I can be arrested for intent to build ZZZ.

Edited by GunBugBit

Steel Challenge may be Dying but shooting STEEL is not. The last few years I have been fortunate enough tospend a couple winter months in AZ. They have a shoot called Tuesday night steel at Rio Salado in Mesa. A

couple years back on my first Tuesday in Az, I just had to shoot even though it was the coldest night in AZ since the 1850"s. (I'm from Pgh Not Cold to me) they had 180 shooters, and have that many every Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Steel Challenge may be Dying but shooting STEEL is not. The last few years I have been fortunate enough tospend a couple winter months in AZ. They have a shoot called Tuesday night steel at Rio Salado in Mesa. A

couple years back on my first Tuesday in Az, I just had to shoot even though it was the coldest night in AZ since the 1850"s. (I'm from Pgh Not Cold to me) they had 180 shooters, and have that many every Tuesday.

I think the reason that Tuesday Night Steel has so many shooters is the price.

TNS is $12 for non-members. If we had a SoCal steel match that was 4 stages and $ 12 there would easily be 200 entries - maybe more.