Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Steel Challenge Dying?

drysideshooter

I've never really understood how people can be bored by shooting "the same 8 stage all the time" when a quick look at their scores reflect that they are not very close to mastering them .... in a sport that's about raw speed and unrelenting accuracy I can't imagine ever being bored ....

Maybe folks don't like being reminded that they are not very good when they shoot the same stages over and over but their times don't really improve. I guess they can then fool themselves into thinking they are better then they are since if the stages continually change there is no history to show them they haven't improved ....

For me, the challenge of breaking 80 secs & then 70 secs is more than enough to keep me motivated ....

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really understood how people can be bored by shooting "the same 8 stage all the time" when a quick look at their scores reflect that they are not very close to mastering them .... in a sport that's about raw speed and unrelenting accuracy I can't imagine ever being bored ....

Maybe folks don't like being reminded that they are not very good when they shoot the same stages over and over but their times don't really improve. I guess they can then fool themselves into thinking they are better then they are since if the stages continually change there is no history to show them they haven't improved ....

For me, the challenge of breaking 80 secs & then 70 secs is more than enough to keep me motivated ....

Bingo !!!

Getting really good at something requires a great deal of repetition. Don't we do the same drills over and over? With a Steel Challenge match, I get a really good drill -- or set of drills -- under my belt, plus the chance to move up in the rankings if I shoot well.

At the same time I see no problem with wanting some variety. I have no religion about this.

I do see many casual shooters get bored with the same stages. At the same time I see many who want to improve savor shooting the same 8 stages every month. We are affiliated and we have a dedicated group who enjoy the classification and seeing their scores improve. We often invite new shooters to SC for the ease of entry to action shooting. Some go on to other things, but it is nice to have the SC match.

You make a lot of assumptions. Typically a sign that someone isn't very intelligent and is possibly pretty insecure. To each their own.

You make a lot of assumptions. Typically a sign that someone isn't very intelligent and is possibly pretty insecure. To each their own.
That's pretty harsh.

I think people are in hobbies for different reasons. Some folks just aren't the mastery types. Not everyone has the attention span, and not everyone had the time to commit to things

Some people are into drag racing, some Formula 1, some into NASCAR, go carts, baja... some don't like any of them.

Everyone likes different things for different reasons. I think it's a funny discussion every time it gets brought up of whether we should change Steel Challenge or not. I like all kinds of shooting, but am more interested in some than others. One of those happens to be SC. I know lots of my friends don't like it near as much as I do. It's an unwinnable discussion and everyone is right in their own mind.

Go to the matches you like, don't go to the ones that you don't. Make's no difference to me. I will even go to the ones I don't like as much periodically to help support the clubs and keep the variety and interest level high in myself.

To each their own...

A lot of erroneous assumptions being made here. It has nothing to do with feeling inadequate (son and I were both doing quite well at SC), or not being concerned with mastery, or lack of time.

I own a full set of steel, shoot on average 3 days per week, I have a range at my home, adjacent to my walk in 600sqft gun vault. When we were shooting SC we would set a stage up and practice it. Times improved with live and dryfire practice. After a while it just wasn't that stimulating for us. Had nothing to do with most of the reasons listed. We have enjoyed USPSA shooting because other than some of the classifiers you never really know what you will see. We like the problem solving aspect of stages. With SC we had shot all of the stages about every way they could be attempted and knew what way was fastest for us. It was about consistency and execution, which is great and a lot of folks enjoy it. We just didn't like the repetition and lack of new problem solving you face with a new stage.

Face it, if three gun matches and USPSA matches each only had 8 stages they probably wouldn't be as popular and folks wouldn't be as willing to travel just to shoot different matches. Things like SC are typically much more repetitive and that appeals to a certain type of shooter, though obviously some SC shooters also shoot other disciplines. Other steel formats like pro-am and ISSA offer something different and may appeal to a different type of shooter. It doesn't in any way imply that one is better, or the shooters inadequate or less dedicated. The assumption that someone that doesn't agree with your point of view or doesn't enjoy your same sport as much just gave up because they couldn't master it, didn't have time to practice, or it made them feel bad and inadequate is really pretty sad and pathetic.

ON EDIT: Two other matches that we regularly shoot switched from SC to ISSA and have been seeing increasing numbers and interest. At our local ISSA match, as well as the other two matches we regularly shoot there are increasing numbers of USPSA, Cowboy Action and 3-Gun folks shooting the ISSA format matches than did SC, and most have told me it was because they thought SC was too boring. Obviously different strokes for different folks and to each their own, but some top level shooters from other disciplines are shooting ISSA matches. Don't forget that the head of ISSA in the US is a former national and world SC champion.

Edited by drysideshooter

That all sounds totally valid, and it is a good way to look at things. That's a much better response than a personal insult.

What is it that tweaks your rivets about Nimitz's choice to try to master the 8 specific SC courses?

Ps I got a chuckle about the tactical kilt comment.

Edited by b1gcountry

What is it that tweaks your rivets about Nimitz's choice to try to master the 8 specific SC courses

I don't think anyone cares about his choice to master SC. They (I) do care about being told that only lazy self-deluding quitters don't like it:

What is it that tweaks your rivets about Nimitz's choice to try to master the 8 specific SC courses

I don't think anyone cares about his choice to master SC. They (I) do care about being told that only lazy self-deluding quitters don't like it:

Exactly!

(I am only a lowly "A" in OPEN using Production Gear.)

We have a shooter that regularly wears a 511 Tactical kilt. Great guy.

We are fortunate to shoot pretty regularly with P.E. Kelley at quite a few ISSA matches. Those of you that don't know who he is probably don't watch much shooting related television. Of course Nimitz probably thinks Pat likes ISSA because he lacks dedication and motivation.

We just fired up the affiliation here and started submitting scores. They've been running the matches for a long time - it just needed a volunteer to take on the scoring challenge. Heck - we may actually have a State Championship match next year....

At the state ISSA match this year we had quite a few folks shooting that you can see pretty regularly on television. Hard to believe they are self deluding folks that lack dedication or time to practice.

Grant, the father of the tactical kilt wearer puts on a great match. This month there were a couple of stages with 7 plates. Being an obviously delusional shooter that lacks dedication and hates being reminded how bad I am by shooting the same stages over and over again, I really enjoyed it.

talk about someone making assumptions ......

That's pretty harsh.

I think people are in hobbies for different reasons. Some folks just aren't the mastery types. Not everyone has the attention span, and not everyone had the time to commit to things

you'll notice that I never said what I've observed in people's behavior was 'bad' or 'good' becuase putting a possible explaination on human behavor doesn't mean you have to pick a side. Also, my comments are always in response to others who seem to want to label Steel Challenge as 'boring' or 'the same old thing' or only a sport for old, crippled, fat people .... I've also never heard a top shooter say any of those things about SC. In my limited 2 years shooting SC those comments always seem to come from the poorer shooters which got me thinking about why that was the case ...

I don't shoot, nor will I ever shoot IDPA but you don't see me saying negative comments about the sport. I like to focus on things I am interested in, not rationalize why I am not interested in something ....

a while back there was a post in the SC forum from someone who wanted to have Outer Limits removed as a stage because it was basically costing him the ability to win matches because he couldn't run as fast as the younger competitiors and his score on that stage always killed his overall match time. He was trying to argue that since the other 7 stages didn't have movement Outer Limits didn't belong. While pretty obvious in this case, when I read posts where people want to change what has been working for a long time it always gets me wondering what people's motivation is for making the suggestions they do .... and for better or worse, in my personal experience I see people rationalize a lot more than address the actual issue with critical thinking & self analysis ...

of course I've spent the last 34 years working for the gov't which may be a somewhat skewed sample but that's what I have to go on ..... :)

Edited by Nimitz