Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Shooting BEginner, pistol choices...

akeefer

Hey all,

Could I get some of your opinions? I started shooting about a year and a half ago. I've been going weekly, joined a club, bought basically almost every handgun out there to find what I like, but want to now finally get into some sort of action shooting comp.

I love 1911's. I currently have a 2011, but decided I don't want that much money wrapped up in one gun. Plus, I'm just beginning, I don't need something that nice.

My most recent plan was to use my Glock 35 and just shoot that as much as I can. It has a Heine rear and a dawson FO front sight. Other than that, just standard.

BUT

I just don't love to shoot it like my 1911's or also CZ's.

Can CZ be a competitive option for a beginner? Or should I just swallow my pride and vanity and just shoot the Glock??

Thanks everyone!

CZ is a great option for a beginner. I got a CZ shadow as my first action shooting pistol.

You can pick up an SP01 (90% of a shadow, just has a firing pin block which the shadow doesn't) for very reasonable money and with maybe $100 in parts and a couple of hours doing simple stuff make it into a very competitive and most importantly nice to shoot IPSC production gun. :)

Have a look in the CZ section of this forum. lots of info there.

The CZ's are very reliable, have a nice DA and SA trigger, plenty of aftermarket part options and grip options. I think it's a great starting action pistol. :)

I love 1911's as well (and shoot one in uspsa sometimes) .. but as far as CZ's go.. there are large amount of them being used for competitions.. my goto pistol for most uspsa shooting is a CZ.

I've also used it for 3gun..

I can't comment on the Glock as I'm just not a fan of them .

For USPSA Limited, I believe the CZ-75 TS in .40 is a fantastic choice. It's incredibly reliable, runs with stock magazines, and can run factory ammo if necessary. From what I see, the CZ's run out of the box, while the 2011's require lots of tuning and need experimentation with load length to be reliable. The TS is also significantly less expensive than a quality 2011.

For Production, the CZ-85 Combat can be a good choice as well, but I'd probably lean towards a Glock there. Unless you really want the mass of an all steel gun and can master the DA/SA transition, the G-34 will probably be the better choice. Or, if you want to be different, the SA XDMs are a good choice. I believe you can get a better trigger (Powder River) on the XDM versus the Glock (Zev or others).

One thing to keep in mind on the CZs is that due to the internal rails and low bore axis, it can be difficult to rack the slide during a malfunction. On the TS, you have the massive rear site to mitigate, but on others it can be an issue.

If you already have the 2011 and enjoy shooting it and shoot it well I don't understand why you would want to back up. I would just put the time into practice and run with it. You are probably eventually going to go back to one anyway. Buy once, cry once.

It would be foolish to sell a 2011 to buy a Glock. Today you say " don't need that much gun" tomorrow you will be saying " my gun holds me back"

You will improve quickly if not steadily with even a modest devotion to training.

Good luck wherever you go on this.

If you love shooting 1911's and cz's, why would you even consider shooting a glock? That's like saying "I love pretty and athletic girls, should I marry a fattie?"

You can certainly learn and get better with *any* decent gun, but you'll probably be more motivated to practice with something you enjoy shooting.

If you want to shoot production or singlestack, and you like shooting cz's or 1911's, I would get a cz or 1911.

If you're dead set on a glock, at least put your hands on one first prior to purchase. They're going to be decidedly different from your 2011. And as others have said, if you like 2011 and the CZ shoot those and leave the glock alone.

I love glocks & dont believe the gun will hold you back BUT if you dont care for them, please get rid of it & shoot the gun you love. You have a 2011 so shoot it. They are great guns overall & you already have it & like it. Sell glock & buy couple of mags for your 2011 & good competition holster.

just shoot your 2011, just fine tune it. To me, Glocks are great, but for competition, the 2011 is better. CZs are good too! Maybe just spend the money upgrading your 2011, instead of buying a new gun?

• 2 weeks later...

You have a safe and functional pistols (2011 and Glock 35). You're over thinking it. Shoot them, and try them both out in competition. Don't let someone else tell you which one will give you the "competitive advantage;" try it out for yourself.

"Hey, will the Arnold Palmer golf clubs make me a better player, or will the Tiger Woods golf clubs be better?"

"Have you ever played golf before?"

"Um, no,not yet."

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot the one your most comfortable with. While I am about the same as you, where I prefer 1911's, BHP's and a host of other guns over Glocks... I do shoot a 17/35 for competitions thou... Mainly started with me wanting to shoot Production and fell into a run what you brung (already had). Now-a-days, I always dump far too much money into them getting them set up to suit me, that I will never see again. Least you can recoupe funds better with a 2011

I am currently shooting a G34 but I screwed up and shot a friends CZ 75, now I am trying to convince myself that I don't want to sell my Glock and get an SP01. Knowing what I know now I would have saved a little extra and went with a CZ from the beginning. Honestly to me shooting a glock instead of a 2011 is like driving a truck instead of your Corvette.

Edited by NateTSU

Welcome to the world of competitive shooting; its a great place to be but it is a far cry from a day on the range plinking away. Your primary concerns should be that you are a safe shooter and know the safety rules of the game, and that your pistol and ammunition that you plan on shooting run 100%. I have seen too many new shooters be utterly frustrated because they "got yelled at" for violating safety rules and never came back or brought guns and ammo that would not run.

You will also need to know how to operate your firearm under a small to moderate amount of stress; for example, plinking away with a 1911 and running one hard on the clock are different things. I suffered through a whole squad with a new 1911 shooter that allowed the recoil to press the safety onto the top of his hand mid-string of fire. He simply did not have a good grip technique to contend with the recoil...After we told him how to fix things, his last few stages went much much better.

I cant comment on CZs etc. but I do think that its easier for newer competitive shooters to run one of the plastic pistols in 9mm then most others. Yes, some come out and run 1911s like a champ but I have not found it as common.

If you love 1911s then run one of those...just make sure it runs!

You should go with your heart and stay with the 1911/2011 platform. Yes, the CZ and Glock are awesome in their own right but I feel the same that the 2011 is the best all around gun, especially for Limited and Open divisions. I promise if you don't, you'll be regretting it like I did in the beginning. My first 2011 was an Eagle and I had a blast with it. I had a Para wide body kit before that and a Glock before that (and a few before that) - all good guns but nowhere near the satisfaction levels I got from shooting my 2011. I wasted a lot of money going back and forth but once I finally got my 2011, there was no going back.

Go with your heart on this! Be safe and have fun...

Shoot what you have now. Observe other shooter's and interact with them. Talk with them on what they have and why. Most shooters will allow you to try there gun out, or at least look at why standing at the safe table. Shoot some competition with what you have and then decide on the future.

@akeefer

I feel like you do-- I use a glock for home defense but at the range anything that feels good is fine--mostly 9mm(beretta,cz, sig,h+K) but some steel 45 acp--1911s(dan wesson heritage) ,cz 97, eaa match elite---

check out a custom cz(cz custom shop)--if you love czs-- you will be thrilled. I am.. If you like beretta--wilson combat released a brigadier-- very sweet-- to each their own

hope you get one you love--

my wife loves our shadow 75 9mm da/sa so much--she wants it with us on every range trip--just saying

happy shooting to all

• 2 weeks later...

CZ is a great gun for a competitive option but it's 3x times the cost of a Glock 34/35. It's definitely a buy once and cry once scenario.

You can interchange barrels for a Glock 34/35, shoot between production, limited Major/Minor, and stay cost effective. Not sure if CZ can do the same but if you dedicate to one specific class it'll definitely be worth the cost.

That's just my opinion. I ended up jumping to Open and I haven't looked back since :)