Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 becoming obsolete?

MrUnderwood08

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor is that ESR will be folded into SSR for IDPA with a 155 PF for moonclip guns. If that is true, the 625 still has some life. At that PF it can be competitive with a speedloader/105 PF revolver.

Got to love it when an organization makes an expensive piece of equipment obsolete overnight. I am not a big Revo shooter, but I spent the money to get a 625 and have it worked over, now it is a safe queen. Sure, I can use it in steel and II could shoot USPSA with it if I wanted to, but it would be like shooing Open Minor with Iron sights and 10 round mags!

I don't care what others say, changing the rules to allow 8 rounds minor in USPSA was a bad move.

I don't care what others say, changing the rules to allow 8 rounds minor in USPSA was a bad move.

"Obsoleting" THE GUN (5" 625), that was discontinued what, at least 8 yrs ago, is a bad idea? Seems like it was about time. If S&W had produced a 6.5" 625 (which we lobbied for) would you be whining about it "obsoleting" the 5" version? Want to change what's competitive? Change the "8 rds from a position" rule...

"Obsoleting" THE GUN (5" 625), that was discontinued what, at least 8 yrs ago, is a bad idea? Seems like it was about time. If S&W had produced a 6.5" 625 (which we lobbied for) would you be whining about it "obsoleting" the 5" version? Want to change what's competitive? Change the "8 rds from a position" rule...

Good point. If we had 9 per position like IPSC it would make the 625 more viable. I can hear the single stack .45 shooters screaming now.

Thats ok.

I think it was a great move.

It was either allow eight shooters or kill the division. As it was it was almost dead anyway.

Around here it defiantly seems the 8 shot rule has pumped life into revolver class. I think it was a nice move.

Thats ok.

It was either allow eight shooters or kill the division. As it was it was almost dead anyway.

Around here it defiantly seems the 8 shot rule has pumped life into revolver class. I think it was a nice move.

Want to buy a 625 for the full value the move destroyed? The move sure pumped life into revo around here too. We now have 3 shooters in stead of one or two. WOW!

As for the gun being obsolete, IDPA may have a barrel length rule, I neither know nor care, but a 4" 5-1/2" or 6" barrel is good to go in USPSA and now I own an expensive paperweight. We could have made a new division or if you will, a new category, Open Revolver, 8 rounds, minor, ports and optics and left the 'Limited" revolver alone, all the steel shooters and ICORE Shooters with 'Open' revos would have had a place to play and the 'Limited' Revos would still be viable.

-1....you gained a few people who didnt like shoot 6/reload shoot 2 but lost the casual/beginning shooter with a 6. smith sold a few more 8 shooters. good for them. I have an email from Strader saying he wanted to scotch the division last year but could not get enough support to do it. The division was not going away however not loved at least not at the point of time 8 was adopted

-1....you gained a few people who didnt like shoot 6/reload shoot 2 but lost the casual/beginning shooter with a 6. smith sold a few more 8 shooters. good for them. I have an email from Strader saying he wanted to scotch the division last year but could not get enough support to do it. The division was not going away however not loved at least not at the point of time 8 was adopted

I've never seen a beginner with a 6 shot at any match I've attended. It would take a minimum of 6 speedloader to complete a field stage, casual shooters don't have that many of those sitting around.

I've never seen a beginner with a 6 shot at any match I've attended. It would take a minimum of 6 speedloader to complete a field stage, casual shooters don't have that many of those sitting around.

Wouldn't it only take 5 speedloaders? Handload the gun with loose rounds and have five speed loaders on the belt. I have shoot a few USPSA matches with my model 10 like this. Five Comp IIIs and one HKS. If it's a short stage I load with the HKS. If it's 30+ rds then I load with loose rounds and have to HKS in the back pocket for when the plan falls apart.

Wouldn't it only take 5 speedloaders? Handload the gun with loose rounds and have five speed loaders on the belt. I have shoot a few USPSA matches with my model 10 like this. Five Comp IIIs and one HKS. If it's a short stage I load with the HKS. If it's 30+ rds then I load with loose rounds and have to HKS in the back pocket for when the plan falls apart.
And what do you do on an empty table start?

And what do you do on an empty table start?

Hmmm... hadn't thought about that. I guess I would grip it and rip it with the 5 speed loaders I have an then for those last two shots I would reach into a convenient pocket that is full of loose cartridges and stuff two rounds in closing the cylinder in just the right orientation (you practices this right?) and double tap that last target. OR you could shoot two strategically selected targets with only one round each receiving two misses but avoiding the FTE by completely skipping the last target OR load with loose rounds coming off the table so that you will have 4 extra rounds at the end of the stage, say for a stage with lots of steel. Yeah there aint no good solution but then again your are shooting with your foot in a bucket to begin with choosing a revolver and a rather awkward bucket given that you choose speed loaders over moonclips. Then again how often do we see 31+ round field stages with unloaded table starts? :roflol:

Then again how often do we see 31+ round field stages with unloaded table starts? :roflol:

A large percent of the field courses around here go to 32 rounds. That means a large percent of the table starts do too.

Aside from me, I've never see anyone else shoot their first USPSA match with a revo and I had a 627.

Then again how often do we see 31+ round field stages with unloaded table starts? :roflol:

A large percent of the field courses around here go to 32 rounds. That means a large percent of the table starts do too.

Aside from me, I've never see anyone else shoot their first USPSA match with a revo and I had a 627.

We have lots of 28+rd stages but unloaded table starts are fairly uncommon and tend to be shorter stages when they do happen...

I think we have had one guy show up with a GP100 for his first match, I can't remember if it was cut for moonclips at his first match or not, it's cut now for sure.

I shot my first USPSA match (we just called it IPSC, or combat shooting, back then) with a six-shot S&W 25-2!

Thats ok.

And it's really alive now? I hear a lot of talk, but is match participation really up?

Thats ok.

And it's really alive now? I hear a lot of talk, but is match participation really up?
I'm sure it varies by area, but it is in eastern Colorado.