Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 becoming obsolete?

MrUnderwood08

ESR is going away in IDPA and an unknown future of SSR rules. So either IDPA is going to make everything thats not the 625 obsolete by opening SSR to 6 shot moon clips or eliminate them from competition entirely.

USPSA has opened up minor power factor allowing 8 shots in revo division. This makes the typical 8 shot per position stage setup favor Minor power factor. 625s will be too slow because of standing reloads.

ICORE staging is setup for 6 shot neutral but having two extra shots comes with no penalty. The 8 shots will probably be more popular.

Is the 625 (a really great gun) being relegated to a handful of other "good guns" that don't have a place in competition. I'm having the same problem with finding a division suitable for a Sig P220.

Daniel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite IDPA's frequent missteps I really believe IDPA wants to increase membership rather than loose it. I am cautiously optimistic it will remain within the rules and competitive.

I tend to think along these lines. I don't shoot a revolver often in IDPA but I own and have shot both minor PF speedloader and major PF moonclip guns. I did not feel one had a dominat advantage over the others, at least in IDPA. If IDPA ever opens up to 8 shot moonclip guns, it might be different but IDPA COF's are short enough that many stages would still reguire the same number of reloads.

Yeah its dead.

I think we did this thread two months ago: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204769&hl=

Sorry. Didn't mean to rehash old info. Just getting back into shooting after some time away. Surprised to find that the 625 I bought last year for competition won't serve its purpose anymore. Read through the thread you attached. Good info there.

Daniel

Edited by MrUnderwood08

Rob,

My wish, should I have any say in IDPA, would be to allow 8 shot moon clip revos in SSP. Crazy, I know, but why not? Certainly no competitive advantage.

That would be innovative. It would also be an option in a Not For Competition (NFC) Divsion if the local MD offered it.

It may not be dead just yet.... but it's dying. The only reason it ever achieved any prominence was because 'completion rules' favored it. Now they don't. Live by the rules... die by the rules.

It was, and still is, great on pins. But, a 8 shot .38 running a 158 or 160 grain SWC or wide mouthed hollowpoint, bullet at 1000 fps is just as good, with similar recoil. And, you have a few extra shots if you Screw The Pooch. Live by the Rules -- die by the Rules. The 625 lived by the Rules. They have now changed.

Can anyone think of a reason to buy a 625 other than competition? And, now it's no longer competitive. Hello Boneyard.

Yeah its dead.

I think we did this thread two months ago: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204769&hl=

Sorry. Didn't mean to rehash old info. Just getting back into shooting after some time away. Surprised to find that the 625 I bought last year for competition won't serve its purpose anymore. Read through the thread you attached. Good info there.

Daniel

Sorry also, I didn't mean to post that in a way as to shut down discussion. I don't mind a good rehash, sort of enjoy it. Just meant to say I think it is probably dead as a viable competition revolver and to give you a recent discussion along the same line.

I still shoot mine in USPSA competition. At local matches we are usually allowed to shoot the match more than once. If that is the case I usually shoot my 625 in Revolver and then my 627 in Production. I suppose I could shoot Revolver twice but its more fun to shoot two different divisions. I really do enjoy shooting my 625 and that gives me that chance.

The 627/929 with the current rules may be the new king but the 625 is still a spectacular revolver. A smoother reloading revolver will be hard to find. But alas other than that reload I can think of nothing that other revolvers or semi-autos can't do better. The 45 ACP revolver a child of necessity in a desperate time has far out lived what anyone that originally figure out how to jam a 45 ACP cartridge into a revolver probably thought it would.

It will be interesting to see if IDPA drives the final nail or leaves a place for it to play.

At a typical match I seem to finish about 3% higher in the overall with my 627. Unless you're losing by 3%, a 625 isn't going to effect your finish at the local match.

There's one local indoor match that has a lot of longer shots and partial targets. I'm really digging the major scoring at that match. Breaking a stage into 6's just take a little more creativity.

I would think if uspsa manipulated the scoring they could make the 625 competitive. You'd have to have Major6, minor6, minor8 (I dont know that you'd have major 8, but likely, cause eventually someone will game it). This could balance the major/minor/8/6 and put them onto level, and maybe encourage some more revo shooters (especially 6 shot minor folks) to participate.

This is speculation on my part because I don't shoot revo (though I want to) and I barely understand uspsa scoring.

If they designed courses for 6 or fewer shot arrays with movement in between it would put both revolvers in good standing. Not talking about every match just Revo only matches. It would make it the same as every other division other than Production if you shoot minor. By going minor in a match like this you'd have to be more accurate but you'd have 2 extra shots for every reload for the make-up/misses to help offset the minor scoring.

We already have "Major6, minor6 and minor8. Are you saying to score minor 6 shooters as major?

Gregg,

I thought uspsa was just scored major or minor for revo?

What I'm saying is that they should be scored in order of difficulty.

As I see it, from "easist" to "hardest"...

8 shot minor -> 8 shot major -> 6 shot minor -> 6 shot major

So you'd have 4 individual scoring schedules to even things out.

They have that already. They call it ICORE.

To be fair a lot of people said the same thing about the 8 shot rule :devil:

My 625 is now my dryfire gun to keep the wear off the 627. :mellow:

Edited by Bosshoss

If IDPA allows moonclipped guns in the single revo division things could get interesting. Yesterday I shot my first match since September in ESR against one guy in SSR. We're both MA class shooters and everyone was looking forward to see how the match turned out as a good test case. I came out ahead by 20 points.

Granted, this isn't an objective test case but if it was to hold up with many shooters in revo I'd suspect that speedloader guys would either bring out their 625s or else get into another division. Very few new shooters will want to invest in a 625 to get into revo. And since IDPA used the 3% ESR totals from majors to justify killing the division, if participation dropped significantly who's to say they wouldn't just eliminate revo altogether.

We'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out. The 625 could find new life in IDPA only to meet it's end there, again.