Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 years later still no powder

theslasher

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as people stop the hoarding, supply will come back.

Yes, its that simple. I've worked in the industry for 5 years and know how much of stuff is on backorder at places. People stockpiling is doing no one any good.

On that note, things are looking a lot better. Just hope they keep improving as Spring/Summer gets here

Every gun store I have visited lately has powder on the shelf. More than you carry home in back pack and priced about 25 per pound for singles and bulk costing less. Powder Valley and others have had 4 and 8 pound kegs available for those who were quick on the key board.

But the final word was when my wife announced the powder shortage was over when I took over a week to take an 8 pound keg upstairs that mysteriously appeared wrapped under the tree.

These days if its not the exact powder I seek, or the price point I deem correct, I leave for the next guy. Ain't life good.

As soon as people stop the hoarding, supply will come back.

Yes, its that simple. I've worked in the industry for 5 years and know how much of stuff is on backorder at places. People stockpiling is doing no one any good.

On that note, things are looking a lot better. Just hope they keep improving as Spring/Summer gets here

I buy powder and primers whenever and wherever I find it. It isn't hoarding if I use it. Blaming others for one's own lack of foresight does no good. I bought more than I loaded before the bust, only buying what you shoot up is dumb. Buy 4 or 8lbs at a time, powder's available a lot more frequently now. Buy primers by the case, buy bullets by the case. Buy up any and all the reasonably-priced once-fired cases you can find a place for. Those of us who bought more than we shoot are doing so twofold now, I don't want to ever run out.

ETA: it's just like those who shoot factory ammo, and only keep enough around for the next outing or match. Keep at least 1k rounds of every caliber you shoot on hand. For .22, keep 10k. It isn't hard or expensive, prices are coming down fast. I've known guys who bought guns and bought guns, but only kept a couple boxes of ammo around. When things dried up, they couldn't shoot their guns

Edited by RigPig

Building up a surplus of powder and other supplies isn't hoarding, it's smart and it's the only way to shoot as much as I like to shoot. Plus, if another disaster happens down the line and supplies tighten up again, I'll still be able to shoot for a while. It's not always hoarding, it's just thinking ahead.

There is a difference between hoarding and actually using a lot like we all do. I'm talking about the guys who say a 500ct box of bullets is good enough for a year of shooting then buy 15 boxes worth "just to have them". Or the guy I heard a few months ago at Walmart buying the maximum 3 boxes of ammo for the day and then say "this will get to almost 5,000 rounds. I don't have a .22 rifle or anything yet but I might get one soon". That's where our problem lies....

Shortages during the Clinton AWB years taught me to keep a base stock on hand of primers and powder at all times. I decided to never get caught like that again.

Wife did get a little worked up when I came home from the funshow (pre Sandy Hook) with two 40 lb kegs of BLC2 tho....... :surprise:

There is a difference between hoarding and actually using a lot like we all do. I'm talking about the guys who say a 500ct box of bullets is good enough for a year of shooting then buy 15 boxes worth "just to have them". Or the guy I heard a few months ago at Walmart buying the maximum 3 boxes of ammo for the day and then say "this will get to almost 5,000 rounds. I don't have a .22 rifle or anything yet but I might get one soon". That's where our problem lies....

+1

Over 2 years after Sandy Hook and people still buy every last pound of powder they can get their hands on. When will the madness end? I miss the days of being able to buy whatever I want when I wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting for things to return to normal isn't a plan, or at least its not a good one.

Why not get together with some fellow shooters and focus on doing large group buys?

Just in the last two months I've purchased 32lbs of AA 1680, 16lbs of H4895, and 32lbs of VVN320...... powder is out there, you just need to do a little bit more than b!tch about it.

If you are only looking for 1lb when you need it, you will probably continue to be frustrated.

~g

It irritates me to hear decent people throw around pejoratives like "hoarder" and "flipper" judging mere preferences as objectively 'good' or 'bad'; any of these people you describe are actors in the voluntary market :cheers:

If you want to feel morally superior why not look towards the involuntary win/lose interactions like theft, rape, murder, torture and subjugation; examples abound in this world of ours.

I'm still set from what I had before it went bad....I replace now what I use to keep level the same

^^^

This is what a sensible, cautious and foresightful reloader did, does and will do.

Edited by kevin c

The pistol powder shortage is still very frustrating, I haven't found a 4lb or 8lb jug of W231/HP-38 in LGS in 2 years and only rarely find a pound of it here and there. Very frustrating.

On another note to people with Large quantities of powder please take special care in how you store your powder and if anything ever happens please let responding firefighters now you have 75lbs of powder stored and where it is located. I have responded to multiple structure fires where occupants had large quantities of ammo, powder and or black powder and while we know how to operate within that circumstance it could be a horrible surprise, That does present certain unique hazards to firefighters.

The pistol powder shortage is still very frustrating, I haven't found a 4lb or 8lb jug of W231/HP-38 in LGS in 2 years and only rarely find a pound of it here and there. Very frustrating.

On another note to people with Large quantities of powder please take special care in how you store your powder and if anything ever happens please let responding firefighters now you have 75lbs of powder stored and where it is located. I have responded to multiple structure fires where occupants had large quantities of ammo, powder and or black powder and while we know how to operate within that circumstance it could be a horrible surprise, That does present certain unique hazards to firefighters.

I store my powder in a closet by the front door. In the event of a fire it is getting tossed outside even if I get burnt a little. Most home owners policies only allow like 10 lbs or something. My 40 lbs of powder would probably cost me everything!