Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Weights-Practice vs. Match Ammo

aandabooks

From a purely economic standpoint I am thinking about buying 115gr lead bullets for practice and sticking with 147gr lead for match ammo. With my son and I both shooting USPSA monthly and having gone through about 6,000 rounds of practice ammo in our first year it might be time to look at shaving some costs. The price difference is $15 per 500 from S&S at my LGS.

How many of you practice with a different bullet weight than you compete with? Do you adjust your sights for each? The last practice before a match would it make sense to go back to match ammo just for the different feel?

I practice with the same weight I'm shooting in matches. I would not mess with my sights even if I shot 115gr in practice. If you decide to try it, definitely go back to your match ammo before the match. I'm not doing anything "new" on match day.

Just looking at Black Bullets International, it is $13 per 1,000 rounds different in cost for bullets. If you go buy in bulk, 115gr is 6.18c, while 147gr is 7.50c per. Then if you factor in the difference in powder (1.0 gr per round, or more) you save 1,000gr per 1,000 rounds. That is an extra 200-250 rounds in the same pound of powder.

I shoot the same bullet in practice and at matches. Keeps the press set up simple, and the ammo storage simple. I know I can grab any box, and it will all shoot the same.

To each their own, I understand the desire to support local (which can be awesome), and I don't want to downplay that either. But sometimes abusing the poor USPS folks with a 60lb medium flat rate shipping box can be interesting.

Edited by littlehendrick

Bullets have to be cheaper online than buying from a LGS. If you are interested in saving money you can't be committed to buying local.

Here is a question. Have you ever tried 124's? They are a great bullet weight in minor. This way you could order several thousand from any of the reputable bullet guys we all use and promote and develope one load and shoot it without worry.

There is no way a 115 will act like a 147, no matter what you try. There is also no way I would practice with a different load than I compete with.

Matt, I would stick the bullet you use in a match.. I've had a tendency to buy from LGS too but now am weighing more options as I'm not as new to this sport and loading as I once was..I've been using 147 Sns .. I've been working on 125grn loads too , although I'm not liking the poor data on 125 lrn .. you just might have to stop all the pistol swapping and use the money for loading and more practice. ...lol

Got my math slightly wrong. The difference is $15/1k. In looking at what I pay from my LGS, S&S locally is still cheaper that BBI not figuring in the shipping. I can stop and buy a 500 of 147gr coated FP for $42 or BBI has them for $43 plus shipping. My LGS is $34.50 for 115gr and BBI is $36.

My guy at the LGS drives down to S&S Casting and brings back a bunch at a time. I'm paying slightly higher than there website price but I'm not paying shipping.

I do load 124/125gr RN but only shoot them for indoor Bowling Pin matches. That or the 135gr might be something else to look at.

I agree with you Kyle about simplifying by sticking with one gun but I really enjoy trying different platforms. Production is my main focus but I can't hardly help dabbling in SS and Revolver.

There is a BBI 130, or 135 is there not? That should give you a great impulse recoil wise and be a great one size fits all. I used to shoot that size from them for a long time IIRC. Think I bought two big boxes that lasted me for a year. (7k?) Use to run them over Solo 1000. That was a really accurate round out of my g17.

I was in this situation one time with bullet weights and cost. I ended up going to 124 for everything - Open, Production, SC, and 3Gun. The only different one is Limited but I really don't shoot that anymore. This makes life easier in so many aspects from purchasing to reloading to practice and matches.

BlackBullet's shipping is included in the price. so no extra there. Secondly if you are shooting as much as most of us order by the case and 500 115gn 9mm bullets come out to $30.92 per 500.

If your goal is to save money then you really need to work on a large volume to save cash. Buy your primers and powder in volume and your bulets by the case. Bullets in flat rate boxes is the best deal out there.

If supporting your LGS is the most important thing ask him for the bulk discount he gets on his Bullets from S&S. If he values the money you spend there he will make a deal with you. It is only a sellers market when the buyer refuses to walk away from bad deals.

Edit: Find the load that shoots best for you and that you like. Then load up a couple thousand and Shoot them all. restock, reload, and repeat. Happy Shooting..

Edited by clawson2011

I agree. The only time I buy 500 bullets is for load development! :) buying by the full case is the only practical way to buy them. And most of the major players don't charge for shipping plus there is no tax

Another voice for having your match load and your practice load be the same. If you absolutely don't want to do that then do something like a lead or moly 147 for practice and then a plated or jacketed 147 for matches.

Take it from all these seasoned competitors, they all say keep the load the same.

(personally I shoot a 124gr plated round nose)

I've given it some thought and I'll be sticking with my S&S coated 147gr bullets. Just on the price per 1000 difference it is only $8 difference if I place an order directly and order 10k to get the 10% discount. I live close enough that I can drive over and pick them up or have Jim/Aaron deliver them to me at a match.

I'm a fan of sticking with one and being done. If you want to cut costs, buy some cheaper options to try. Once you find the load acceptable, buy in bulk.

I started out with FMJ and have progressed to plated because of costs. I shoot ten different 9mm's with the same 165 grain bullet now. No adjusting the press and no wondering what ammo is what.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to dance with the one you brung. The recoil impulse will be different with the lighter bullet. You need to practice with the same equipment and ammo you use in a match. You are only looking at $180.00 per year or $15.00 per month based on $30.00 difference per thousand. Or look around for a better deal on bullets.

Same bullet for match and practice (Leather Heads), but I've been using cheaper powders for practice and saving the VV N320 for matches. Last year my practice powder was e3 but then ran out and I couldn't find any. Then ETR7 became available thru Leather Head so will be using that for all my practice ammo (9mm and .40).

• 2 weeks later...

Competition is not practice. It is the time to see if you can execute what you've practiced.

Can you execute the fundamentals, at speed, on demand, perfectly, under conditions not of your choosing? And then better than everyone else there on that day. This is competition.