Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taming VZ grips

aandabooks

Before I get out the sandpaper and ruin a couple sets of really nice grips I figured I would come here for advice. I love the two sets of VZs I have on my 1911s but when I'm really gripping down on the gun the aggressiveness of the grips starts to hurt. Or when I'm running a couple hundred rounds through during a practice my hands are raw at the end.

What is the best way to take some of the aggressiveness out of the grips but keep the looking nice?

Not a lot of options. You can either sand the "bite" off of them and likely change the great look of vz's, or work on toughening up your hands.

However, hogue sells some rubber slip on sleeves you might think about as an option for those long range days. That way your hands will get a break and you won't have to damage the grips.

I'm a machinist and have fairly calloused hands but the VZs have a lot of grip. Maybe I'm just too used to shooting the XDM with rubber grip tape. I definitely don't want to ruin the grips. They look too good.

Thanks for the suggestion of adding a sleeve but with my hand size I really don't want to add any diameter.

From their website,

If you should want them a little smoother, you can lightly sand them with a 400 grit paper to your liking.

G10 dust is bad for you so use a mask. When your done, wipe a little gun oil on them to bring back the color.

Just wondering how long you've been using them.

If you've been shooting with them at least a couple of months, I'll say no more.

But if they are still new, you might shoot with them a bit more to see if your hands adjust to them at all.

When I recently installed aggressive VZs on my guns, I noticed the pain much more in the early going. When I practiced with them on Friday, I didn't even notice.

Get some less aggressive grips the have plenty of options,

Being in Australia we don't have much choice other than to buy and see if you like them. I'm a sucker for their grips and have purchased probably 8 different set to finally settle on the ones I like. Luckily they are easy to sell off down here.

I had a pair of VZs on a CZ that were tearing up the finger tips of my strong hand because I was pressing them into the grips pretty hard with my weak hand. After a week of dry fire I finally wised up and put some paster tape over the part of the grips where my finger tips were. That did the trick, and being that the grips were black to begin with I ended up putting a small strip electrical tape to provide a little protection for my poor digits.

Sanding them won't ruin them, they're harder than you think. I used sandpaper and took my operator II grips down to where they were grippy but not painful, also expanded the thumb notch all the way across (didn't have the VZ factory full size thumb cut) you can't tell by look that the points were knocked off.

I just ordered two sets of VZ, OPii and Alien. I will have my sanding block ready when they arrive. Coincidentally 20 minutes after I ordered (and subscribed to their mailing list) got a coupon for 15% off, tomorrow

Red

I had a set with the thumb notch and very aggressive texture. I eventually sanded them slightly as they would start to be uncomfortable after an hour or so using the pistol.

Mine also did not come pre-cut for an ambi safety and I had to inlet them.

Then I bought at $15 set of ergo plastic grips with skate tape-like texture that I liked even better than the VZs. YMMV.

I like very aggressive grips. But I had a set of operator II's that hurt the tips of my fingers. I used 400 grit sand paper to knock off the edges. Wipe with some silicon cloth after sanding to bring back the color.

Safety note. The dust from G10 is very bad for you. So wear a mask and do it in a well ventilated area.