Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Powder

copecowboy22

With that bullet, 4.0gr of American Select gives you a 700fps, accurate, powder puff loads good enough for bullseye and powerful enough to knock over pins.

So far my best performing load is 4.8 to 5.0gr (depending on whether you want to make PF) Solo 1000. It is amazingly consistent and accurate. The 5.0gr loads is the best of the three; consistently giving SDs in the 7 to 8 range with average velocities of 865fps. Stupendous performer at 50 yards.

4.0gr VV N310 is another superb performer. 780fps with single digit SDs. VV is quite temp sensitive, so your velocities will vary thoughout the year. Accuracy will not. I use N310 for Minor and Solo 1000 for Major. Both also work very well with 200gr LTC bullets.

With that bullet, 4.0gr of American Select gives you a 700fps, accurate, powder puff loads good enough for bullseye and powerful enough to knock over pins.

So far my best performing load is 4.8 to 5.0gr (depending on whether you want to make PF) Solo 1000. It is amazingly consistent and accurate. The 5.0gr loads is the best of the three; consistently giving SDs in the 7 to 8 range with average velocities of 865fps. Stupendous performer at 50 yards.

4.0gr VV N310 is another superb performer. 780fps with single digit SDs. VV is quite temp sensitive, so your velocities will vary thoughout the year. Accuracy will not. I use N310 for Minor and Solo 1000 for Major. Both also work very well with 200gr LTC bullets.

Personally, I switched from Win 231 to VV 310 and have never looked back. Meters like a dream, extremely consistent and clean, clean, clean.

Jay

Here is another reason I like Solo 1000. I prefer to shoot 200gr LTCPB bullets for competitions other than bullseye, because my 1911 feeds them perfectly. When I load with a fast powder such as N310 or Clay Dot I get up to 40fps lower velocities than I do using LSWCBB bullets. With the extra bearing surface, I suppose the fast powders run out of ouumph and the bullet actually slows in the barrel. Using Solo 1000 there is only a 6fps difference and the POI is exactly the same for both bullets. In lighter loading Solo 1000 prefers WLP rather than CCI 300. SDs are much better. With hotter loads the WLPs are still more consistent, but only by a little.

I'd get what you can. Personally I like fast powders and it seems a lot are just as good for .45 as 9mm; which I also shoot. I also like powders that meter well (who doesn't). What I like that I have experience are Bullseye and Tightgroup.

My favorite, Clays haven't seen any for sale in over a year. Red Dot is out there and a good choice 4.6 with 200 lead bullet works very well.

Still reasonably priced when found. Lot's of rounds down range with Winchester 231 and HP 38 which are one and the same.

Used Solo 1000 more in 9mm minor using heavy bullets but worked well in 45 acp. Only issue with Solo 1000 it slows rapidly when it gets

warm. Light flake powder doesn't meter well. Like Tight Group in 9mm and 40 S@W but doesn't work as well in 45 as the above powders. Has also

been hard to find. Hodgen had a fire a while back and it's been slow for them to get back on line.

I just found WST powder at Graf & sons. Had been using 700x and the WST has very similar load data.

Happy New Year & Good Shooting

What are you using to dispense 700x? I have trouble getting it to meeter consistently.

Its been a while so I dont remember the exact numbers but with the Lee perfect powder measure I could never get two of the same charges. With Clays, Clay Dot, Autocomp, Titegroup, H335 all stay the same.