Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bifocals and iron sights

slinginlead

Ok, thought I was going to shoot Limited this year. I started taking a class with my limited gun and i noticed I could not see the sights well enough on the fly. I would have to hold my head at an awkward angle to see the ft sight just right. I tried to do a target focused sight but then I was looking over the sights and I was shooting a little higher. Would you go and get glasses specifically made for shooting or just go back to open and forget about limited? If I am taking my time and and wanting to bullseye shoot I can put bullet on top of bullet at 15 yards.

Welcome to my world

I'm luckily my eye doctor understands my needs

My prescription is made so my dominate eye is set to focus on my front sight

My weak eye is set for distance, bifocals for reading on both

An added benefit is the my dominate eye focus is the right distance for working on a computer so I no longer have to lift my head read the screen

Welcome to my world

I'm luckily my eye doctor understands my needs

My prescription is made so my dominate eye is set to focus on my front sight

My weak eye is set for distance, bifocals for reading on both

An added benefit is the my dominate eye focus is the right distance for working on a computer so I no longer have to lift my head read the screen

I can attest to this. Having a super-sharp front sight has made a big difference for me.

I had a pair of glasses made with my middle prescription on my dominant eye, and normal tri-focal on the other eye. It works well, but only if you shoot with both eyes open. I got tired of trying to remember which glasses I had on and now shoot open exclusively.

Shooting glasses with left eye glass Rx set for normal distance. The right eye Rx is focused on the front sight. Just my long journey. Forget having any bifocal cut in the shooting glasses. You can read well enough with the right lens to see score sheet. You save money and anywhere on the lens (given different shooting angles.) the view of the sight is the same.

I wear no lines for work and the above for shooting limited. The brain adjusts to the shooting glasses pretty quick. If I could wear contacts, I would have had shooting contacts made.

Good luck!

I too had glasses made with the dominant eye set for the front sight and the non-dominant eye set for distance. I still wear those glasses when shooting for groups. The last summer that I shot Limited I just wore my regular street glasses and put up with a fuzzy front sight. Most of the stages locally have precious few long or difficult shots so shooting with a "soft" front sight focus made little to no difference in scores. I now just shoot Open Division. I have chilled out as I got older and now I just shoot for fun.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I tried shooting limited with glasses (dominant eye Rx focused on front sight). Also tried contacts with same setup. If you can do contacts that is the way to go.

I would recommend having your dominant eye Rx adjusted to the farthest distance you can still see the front sight acceptably.

I was having trouble with my brain switching to my non dominant eye at times on long shots due to the extreme blurriness of the background.

Maybe more practice would have helped, but I gave up and went back to open with an 8min dot. :cheers:

I've had the "shooting glasses" with the dominant (right) eye set for front sight and left for distance since the middle 80s and found, early on, that putting them on when I got up on shooting days worked the best.

Now up for cataract surgery tomorrow and the 23rd, real interested is seeing how it turns out ????

My input having suffered with this problem for more years than I care to think.

Been wearing glasses for nearly 50 years (probably should have had them sooner, maybe I'd have seen what teacher was writing on the board, but that is a different story)

When I had single prescription it was fine, I shot Irons in Pistol and Rifle and did quite well. THEN I got my variables. I could no longer see my sights clearly. What I did was with the help of my optometrist was to use my regular glasses and a series of additional lenses to work up the best combination to see the front sight clearly and still see the targets. I can't Use two different focus lengths as in shooting 3-Gun I need to be able to shoot strong or weak with rifle and shotgun so I have one focal length that is about 6" in front of my outstretched arms. I Adjust the scope to offset this and I am good to go.

I have that age related effect too. Before you spend a lot of money, buy yourself a set of decent clear safety glasses and stick on bifocals (total about $20).

...depending of course on your current prescription.....

I put one bifocal on the center of the dominant eye glass, right in the vision path, and leave the other off.

I can see both sights in clear focus and my eye is pointed at the target, naturally, without tilting my head any way.

I have to remember to turn my head towards the target when shooting around corners, but I think that is something I should be doing anyway.

I may eventually go to an eye doctor to make a prescription like this, but this is working pretty well for me right now.

Now if I can only get my head right with the timing (not rushing), I may have a chance of not embarrassing myself (I have a lot of fun though)..

PS I also tried Advantage tactical sights and could see them without glasses, but never could get an answer from IDPA on whether they are legal...so I moved back to something more conventional, Dawson fiber sights.

I've had the "shooting glasses" with the dominant (right) eye set for front sight and left for distance since the middle 80s and found, early on, that putting them on when I got up on shooting days worked the best.

Now up for cataract surgery tomorrow and the 23rd, real interested is seeing how it turns out ????

I'd be interested in knowing how your cataract surgery works for you. My wife just found out she has cataracts and is going to schedule surgery in January. It was surprising to us how fast her sight went down hill in just 1 year. Good luck with it.

Guys,

I am having my second pair of glasses and lenses made by Allen Lehman of Lehman Optical in Prescott, AZ. He made my first pair in 1997 and I am still using them. By taking my prescription and telling him what I was doing and shooting ( iron sights) He made the glasses set up so I could see the front sight perfectly. 17 years later my eyes have changed and I called him up on Friday. 34 minutes later he is making a set for my new prescription and sending some extra lenses so I can go to the range and see what works best for my needs....25 and 50 yards so I can see the front sight crisp and still see the target well at 50.

Once I figure out which extra lense works best he will make them and send them to me.

Allen is a shooter and has been doing this for 40 + years, so he knows what we need. He doesn't have a flashy website but doesn't need one either.... www.shootingspecs.com

A very happy customer so I can keep shooting irons for many years to come......

DougC

This is great! Thanks! I just discovered this problem also of using prescription glasses for distance, but no focus on front sight. I am nearsighted, so I don't need glasses for close distance (arms length). I just started shooting L10 and production a couple weeks ago (was shooting open before), shooting with my prescription glasses, I was missing the target, shooting high and left. I discovered that my front sight was not focused when using my prescription glasses shooting iron sights. I did an experiment to confirm, aiming at the blank wall, using my prescription glasses (front sight blurry), then i removed my glasses while not moving the gun, sure enough the front sight was clear, but way to the left and high. "ahha moment" sat in. So, next match I'll just use my regular safety glasses so that I can focus on the front sight, and see what happens....If not, then I gotta tighten the "nut" behind the gun...LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently had a pair of glasses made for shooting( dominant eye front sight, other distance) and I have to say it is quite an adjustment. I have not shot them in a match yet but it is nice to have a crisp front sight again, my groups look a lot better. It will take awhile to get used to but at least it keeps me able to shoot irons for sometime.

I got a pair of flip up reading lens ( 1 power ) they clip on. i removed the left lens and just use the right one for a clear front sight. Left eye sees target, right eye sees front sight. takes a little getting used to but it works for me