Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 trigger return spring broke! How to increase life?

daves_not_here

I was warned that this would happen and I have a spare so no real down time.

However, I bought this pistol in September!

Am I really dry-firing that much?

Anyone have suggestions on how to make this spring last longer? No, less practice is not an option and I'm actually starting to ramp up.

This is a IPSC production pistol so stock parts are required. Any other CZ factory parts to consider?

Is there anything I can do with the trigger area to make it less stressful on the spring?

Thanks,

DNH

i did an informal survey every time someone broke a TRS. it seems i could not find a consistent answer out of maybe 15 occurrences any trend. i asked if people kept it wet or dry, if the re-bent one of the legs to lighten the spring pressure, if they were using CZC or CZUB TRS, and if they were using an aftermarket trigger pin. perhaps my sample is too small.

i like to put a drop of lube on it regardless. i have a CZC improved return spring (don't know if it counts as factory) using the improved CZC pin. i broke one i think around the low 20 thousands, but only once.

maybe others could share their experiences.

I'm in BC Canada and my TRS broke during dryfire the day after my black badge course. Good and bad haha. Some people get lucky with the stock spring and get 50k pulls out of it. Others like you and me.. not so much. I got 10k pulls about before it broke. Seems like it's just the design of the TRS.

Ok. I am going to give you my opinion and reasons for decisions on using the CZC Improved TRS in the gun.

Strictly speaking, the (Improved) TRS from CZC down in Arizona is an illegal modification, but I bought 3 because:

1. It does not improve the performance of the gun in stages in anyway ie. shooting faster/less recoil/more accurate, so I feel morally fine with using it in Prod. division whose rules are in place to prevent an equipment race. The Improved TRS simply increases the round count life of the part.

2. From one guy who shoots standard with a CZ75 Shadow and uses the CZC TRS, it does last a lot longer. CZC themselves say they should last in excess of 20k pulls.

Note: I am going to keep 2 spare CZ factory TRS' so that if I eventually go to a major match one day I can replace the CZC TRS' with stock so I can be totally legal for a match.

IF you are really concerned about having parts checked at a match whatever the level, I would just use CZC TRS' for practice/dryfire, and whenever you go to a match just swap a factory spring in.

Edit: If you decide to use the factory TRS' for matches, I recommend 5k rounds before you toss it out.

Edited by ZachJ

With help from Burningsquirrel's video, I was able to replace the spring pretty quick. :)

I haven't seen that video...can you toss up a link to it? Thanks!

You can pm Burnsquirrels directly for the link. I don't think it's in youtube.

Does CZC replace the stock TRS with theirs on the Shadow Custom and Target?

I do not know. If you get one, you should call and check, I imagine they would considering how much longer it seems to last compared to most stock springs.

Also, another option for practice is the CGW reduced power spring, but I would not use it myself as it does slightly affect the gun's performance in that it decreases the trigger pull weight by 1/2 of a pound. The only things I am going to change to make the gun "perform" better are the hammer springs and recoil springs and an extended firing pin as to use lower poundage hammer springs while reliably setting off primers.

Edited by ZachJ

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at doing this with my CZC AccuShadow. The issue that I ran into is that the trigger pin seems to be flared on both sides. How does one drive that trigger pin out?

Did all the work on my CZ85B on Dec. 29th.

This thread documents the disassembly with pics and the things done/changed in text. Watch for language.

http://doodieproject.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3077-cz85b-tooning/

Get the floating trigger pin from Dave at CGW. I assume if you're using a CZCustom Shadow that you're in the US, so this doesn't apply to you, but to IPSC Prod. Shooters it does: Grab 1 or 2 spare stock pins as well to keep in compliance at matches.The floating pin is a dream, I bent one of my punches a bit, probably 1-3 degrees from straight before I remembered that the stock trigger pin should be started off with a starter punch. Now I just push it out with the punch without even using a hammer. Just remember to hold the top of the frame so the TRS doesn't fly out.

Have not tried to reinstall a stock trigger pin, but I assume using a vice as eboadway suggests works as that is what I used to reinstall the firing pin retaining pin. Just remember to put some padding/protection on the frame so you don't mar it.

hmmmm .... i got my Shadow in Feb and have put 20,000+ rds through it plus dryfire 4-6 nights a week and have not broke a single spring .... i am having to replace the hammer and possibly the sear which have worn to the point that the gun only shoots in DA but thats it ...

The hammer and sear? :o Dr YVG from doodie has gone something like 50k with a stock spring so idk. Maybe its just a bad design or their springs vary quite a bit. Mine broke in less than 10k pulls and 1k rounds.. Testing the czcustom spring, so far about 200 dryfire pulls.