Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storing powder and primers

Justin C.

New to reloading. as a matter of fact, all I have now is powder, primers, empty spent brass, and bullets. bought these when they were available even though I haven't a reloading press yet. anyway, what is the proper way to store powder and primers SAFELY. Should they be in separate locations? On open shelving or within cabinets? Cool and dry locations such as a dry basement? Would be very grateful for advice. Live in Colorado if there are different regulations or laws for each state. Thanks.

Here are some recommendations from SAAMI, and yes local ordinances may be different and/or stricter. No idea what they are for Colorado so I won't pretend to know.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

How much do you have? If it's a small quantity say less than 20lbs (I'm just throwing a number out there) there is nothing wrong with keeping it on a cool dry shelf or a in wood cabinet. More than that I would build a powder box out of 1in thick wood following recommended SAAMI guidelines. Personally, I think it is good practice to keep powder stored away from the bench. Reason being I pull one powder at a time and only grab another when I've exchanged the first. Having to move away from my table to my garage where I store mine for me adds another layer of protection against confusing powders.

I also keep my primers separate. While the odds of them actually setting off powder in their jug is pretty low, the idea of ignition sources close to powder doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Key thing about powder is in an open and/or well vented environment it just burns. In a contained environment it goes boom.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

I've always kept powder and primers in a closet in the house.

My current 38super load is using Winchester primers purchased in 1998, and VV powder from 2001. The loads have excellent SD.

I think the fairly consistent temperature and humidity from being inside helps.

Agree with the simplified logistics to alleviate confusion (I learned reloading from a software engineer and his reloading room was, uh, creatively organized).

I did some quick research about house fires when I was trying to decide how to store reloading components. I figure that's my highest risk event. The closets burn the hottest (piles of fluffy fabric or cleaning agents provide an easy ignition and fuel), the walls of the basement are the coolest place (less ignition material). I ended up with storage tubs to keep everything dry, stored on the concrete floor along the outer foundation wall. Easy to access right next to my bench and the tub slides under the storage shelves easy enough.

I just realized Colorado probably doesn't typically have basements, but I think the same principle would apply.

Whatever it's worth.....I purchased a three door metal storage cabinet at Harbor Freight on sale....stores powder, primers and cleaning supplies perfectly........its a 3 beer job to assemble this erector set, but it really works well and has locks on all 3 doors......just sayin'.

We do have basements. It is also very dry here. Winter humidity is around 5-15%. Would static electricity ignite powder? Excuse me if this is silly but I'm still saving up for reloading, which I think will be next year.

Very few homes had basements when I lived there, especially on the western slope (Parachute). When it rained hard the adobe was hard to penetrate and it would flood. Don't put your powder and primers there if you have one. Powder is harder to ignite than you imagine. Gasoline is much more dangerous. Just keep it out of a carpeted room and you probably won't have sparks from static electricity. I keep my components in a large ice chest (no ice in it) so it's insulated from the concrete floor in my shop and stays cooler during the hot months here in Az. Cannot get wet either no matter what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any harm to storing these materials in a ammo can with packs of silica beads? Very humid here in the summer.

No harm at all. I store my stuff in the barn along the north wall on the cement floor.

Check your ammo can lid for an "O" ring. It seals the can air tight.

If you don't have silica beads, pour an inch of un-cooked rice in the bottom. Rice will absorbe moisture.

I guess I never put much thought into it. I have a metal cabinet that stores everything. If the house catches fire grab a cold one and sit back and wait for the fireworks to begin.

I heard that some fire departments like to know if you have large qtys of flammables. But never have I seen It personally. My garage and basement are full of flammable crap

• 1 year later...

Just close it when done. No need to jump through hoops.

BTW, cool and dry means no standing or dripping water and if you're comfortable there the powder and primers will be too. No one reading this will live long enough for powder and primers stored under "cool, dry" storage conditions to degrade. So what happens if it does degrade? Powder just loses it's oomph and primers don't explode. It doesn't explode spontaneously or become unsafe. Static? Don't worry about it with smokeless powder. Static will make black powder ignite .

I'll also add not to repackage powder. Keep it in the container it came in, and be sure it's clearly labeled. If there is any doubt as to the lineage of the powder (no contamination from other powders) it becomes fertilizer for the garden, or piled on a rock, a 25' flame for a few seconds. Very impressive at night.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool and dry location, powder and primers separate, and away from the loading bench. One powder on the bench at a time.

+1 on the "one powder on the bench"!! When you switch calibers or loads, you think you'll remember what you've got cooking... but then you'll get distracted and come back to your press a week later and wonder what's in the hopper. Not a safe situation.

Take the extra time when you change loads or calibers and put the previous powder away.