Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170 & 140 mm mag capacity

cnote

What do you mags hold in either caliber? I get 28+1 in a 170 and 23+1 in a 140 in 9mm with grams followers and Bolen or Dawson SNL pads

I watched a friend yesterday shoot a 28 round stage with plenty of steel without a reload and some make ups. I though to myself, big balls for not reloading between arrays where there was some distance.

Asked him and he said , "no worries, I get 31". ?

He shoots 38 super something

I can get 29 reloadable in my 170. Old style SV mag with Taran new style spring and follower and 3mm Taran pad. 30 will fit but it won't seat.

I get 24 in my 140. STI mag tube with Grams guts and a 7mm pad. I usually load and make ready with this mag so it leaves 23 for the reload though.

This is for 38 Supercomp.

Edited by robb315

I am getting the same as you 28+1 and 23+1 with non SNL Dawson base pads and gram guts. That said I have some factory sti mags with the factory spring follower and base pad. That said if I had to go back I would have saved the cash and just done the big stick and used factory mags at 21 rounds and saved the cash. If I need the rounds I have a big stick

• 8 months later...

Was looking for info on this topic, seem like basepad has a big effect(new to open)

New sti mags with grams spring/follower and the factory STi basepad only hold 27 in the 3 I have.

Hello: Try a Dawson "SNL" base pad. Dawson follower and ISMI spring. Check the gauge to make sure it is legal. It will hold 29 rounds reloadable. You may have to take a little off the back of the mag to make it legal. This is for new STI mags. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Try a Dawson "SNL" base pad. Dawson follower and ISMI spring. Check the gauge to make sure it is legal. It will hold 29 rounds reloadable. You may have to take a little off the back of the mag to make it legal. This is for new STI mags. Thanks, Eric

I tried this combo and only get 28 reloadable. If I go to 29 I get a follower tilt. Any recommendations?

I tried this combo and only get 28 reloadable. If I go to 29 I get a follower tilt. Any recommendations?

I tried the ISMI/Dawson follower combo a while back. I couldn't get 29 with it in an STI tube either. It was consistently half a round to a full round less than the grams or bolen/TTI guts in both STI and SV tubes. Try the grams guts. They are rock solid reliable and the springs last much longer than any other I've tried and I've tried them all (bolen/TTI, ismi, stock STI, stock SV, first gen MBX.)

I tried the ISMI/Dawson follower combo a while back. I couldn't get 29 with it in an STI tube either. It was consistently half a round to a full round less than the grams or bolen/TTI guts in both STI and SV tubes. Try the grams guts. They are rock solid reliable and the springs last much longer than any other I've tried and I've tried them all (bolen/TTI, ismi, stock STI, stock SV, first gen MBX.)

I have 3 mags set up with grams but I keep getting rounds sliding by the follower. I tried the Dawson follower and it seemed to help. I'll try the grams again.

I have 3 mags set up with grams but I keep getting rounds sliding by the follower. I tried the Dawson follower and it seemed to help. I'll try the grams again.

Is it at the very bottom when the mags are close to/fully loaded?

With STI tubes, the ribs don't go down far enough and you might have to use a spacer like the the one arredondo makes.

post-5006-0-45269500-1439671341_thumb.jp

Is it at the very bottom when the mags are close to/fully loaded?

With STI tubes, the ribs don't go down far enough and you might have to use a spacer like the the one arredondo makes.

Exactly. I'll order some and see if they do the job. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Your reloading routines is directly related to how many you can fit as well, I went from 29' with force in my svi 170mm ipsc mags, to 29 reloadble easy, maybe 30 by sizeing the base more and running super dies.

Your reloading routines is directly related to how many you can fit as well, I went from 29' with force in my svi 170mm ipsc mags, to 29 reloadble easy, maybe 30 by sizeing the base more and running super dies.

For 9mm ??? Or are u talking supercomp

I dunno... when I do a 30 round stage with no reload, I do so simply because I can, not because it gives me any advantage - pretty much every stage has a convenient reload spot.

"How many rounds can you put in" is a sport with no practical significance. IMHO, of course. :)

Edited by Foxbat

Hello: My old style140mm SVI mags I can get 27 rounds with the right base pads,follower/spring setup for 9mm. I can also get 26 rounds in my old SVI 134mm tubes and will check to see what I can get in my 124mm SVI tubes. If you can take three steps you have room to reload. Thanks, Eric