Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex introducing new 3-gun scope?

ambluemax

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The purple fringing around so many tree branches, the top of the Stop sign, the top of the road name sign, and over on the power line tower look like evidence of chromatic aberration. Is that in the scope when you look at it or is that an artifact of this particular camera used?

I'm starting to think were all expecting to much out of this scope, and may be a little disappointed with the glass, also the new release date is August. Wish a scope price war would break out to compete with Vortex Strike Eagle release :sight: LOL

The purple fringing around so many tree branches, the top of the Stop sign, the top of the road name sign, and over on the power line tower look like evidence of chromatic aberration. Is that in the scope when you look at it or is that an artifact of this particular camera used?

Typically that's camera

Typically that's camera

I hope that is the case here, also. I wouldn't expect the scope to behave that way.

Remember guys, this is a $300 scope. Vortex makes great stuff but don't expect Razor-like glass at this price point. I imagine it'll be as good or better than anything in the price range but still not perfect.

I'm not saying people won't be happy, I'm sure it'll be a great scope in its category. I'm just hoping people aren't going to set themselves up for disappointment by over analyzing the glass or directly comparing it to their Razors and Swaro's.....

I would encourage people to set realistic expectations for this scope.

I am using an older leupold Gilmore redit for now as I get more into 3 gun. When I want to have some glass with longer range, the vortex is going to be my go to. Not because the glass is going to be awesome, but because I know vortex has incredible service if something does happen and $400 (scope and rings) makes it a bit easier to jump in than trying to buy the really top shelf scopes.

I would like it to be here sooner than August, but it is what it is.

Edited by roadie3

So at the 300 to 400 price range if you put Vortex glass quality up against Burris. Which would you say is best ?

Hard to say since the 300 to 400 range vortex hasn't been released.

If the crosshairs and hash marks are the same MOA subtensions as a JM-1 except this has an upright 100 yard aiming point, just ignore all the other stuff in the reticle and shoot it like you would a JM-1. $400 is a great price for the shootability of this optic, or pay another $1000 for the red dot function & better glass... to buy a Razor

Edited by Moltke

You bring up a good point, but I have good reasons.

I have a Razor 1-6 HD Gen II w/ a JM reticle on my 18 inch match gun.

Absolutely love it.

The only reason I would purchase this scope would be to put it on a 16 inch carbine that I shoot sometimes at local matches that are almost always up close and personal. I want the red dot aspect because it would probably stay on 1 power 90% of the time.

That, and when I shoot the different guns, I want the same sight picture, or similar. Right now the shorty sports a vortex red dot. Just can't bring myself to put out $1300 for another Razor for the carbine. Would eagerly put out $400 to get my cake and eat it too!

I agree.

Not saying that it isn't going to be great glass, especially for a starter or casual guy.

Just that if they could possibly integrate the red dot and JM reticle, even for a couple of hundred more, I bet they could double the sales.

The reticles aren't that different. Instead of the .5 MOA center dot, you have a sort of crosshair and horseshoe. Admittedly, I am used to the MTAC 1-4 reticle with the horseshoe, but I love it for close targets. Much better than a .5MOA dot.

The important bits are the BDC drops, which are identical, and it looks like the widths at each range are the same too, although JM doesn't have a width at 200 usable for ranging targets.

Maybe what they need is new Razor with the AR-BDC reticle :-)

I am definitely in the casual camp, and I ordered one to replace the MTAC as soon as I heard it was coming out.

Edited by JimP42

If Strike Eagle is too good then it will decrease the sales of Razor HD II. If you calculate that they need to sell 4 Strike Eagles to get the same profit as from one Razor HD II it becomes clear than doublimg Strike Eagle sales is nowhere near enough to cover any decreased sales of Razor HD II.

I own a HD II and will buy Strike Eagle dor my IPSC mini rifle if it is any good.

Im just gonna venture a guess and say that the average Joe gun owner doesn't have any thing in the closet that cost $1400 like the Razor does. Most gun owners aren't coo coo for coco puffs over 3-gun like we are. They have 1-2 $300-800 rifles for hunting or plinking and a cheap 1-4, 2-8, or 3-9 scope on top. This $300 1-6 isn't going to cut into razor sales. It's going to give the budget low power variable market a new best option.

It's a mustang versus a GT500 fellas. Or even a camaro versus a corvette.

Jesse is on the mark.

The person buying this glass will not, in most cases, be looking at this as an alternative to the Razor.

Certainly there might be a few.

If anything, Vortex is looking to capture a niche in the market that their current line does not fill.

If anything, in the long run, I suspect it will actually bolster Razor sales because it will get people exposure to Vortex products that might have otherwise chosen another brand. And, we all know that while 3 gunners are always looking for the next best thing to give them an edge, they are typically very brand loyal.

The other thing too is that you cannot make the statement that Vortex will have to sell 4 eagles to make the money they make on one Razor. Without knowing the cost and final margins, you just don't know. They well make as much on one Eagle as they do on one Razor, or it could be 4 as you suggest. Probably somewhere in the middle.

I agree with Bigsampson on his last couple points.

Having worked in a shop, not a gun shop (full disclosure - I figure the margins are pretty close), the bread and butter products are what keep the doors open. Those $300-400 will sell a huge number of units because the average person, like me - that is until those doctor paychecks start rolling in (school cannot end soon enough) - doesn't have $1400 around for a Razor let along $2000+ for a swaro.

I am looking forward to this scope to actually hit the market and then I shall snag one. I can't speak to the glass quality as I have not held one, but I have only ever heard good things about Vortex and their customer service. I doubt they are going to jump into the less expensive 3-gun market and ruin their reputation.

The only good thing is there warranty / reputation on the line ; I see this new price range was to get into what Primary Arms created a low budget 1-6 scope. Maybe that's why they look so much alike. Primary Arms reticle seems like a been thought out with the windage added