Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex introducing new 3-gun scope?

ambluemax

@Moltke- I too am optimistic and probably won't be disappointed. However, I've been wrong before so I don't have many eggs in that basket yet.

@JT- I'll have to agree to disagree with you, unless it features a real daylight bright dot like the Razor does, which makes a bold aiming point in the reticle unnecessary. But such bright dots are lacking in cheaper scopes, and some of those have aiming points bold enough to pick up quick but often at the expense of precision. And yes, inside of 300 doesn't require anything special but my opinion of reticles is skewed by the fact that I shoot my rifle to well over twice that distance, mostly because I'm too cheap (or poor) to actually have a long range precision gun so my 3g rifle gets to play jack of all trades and I'm always looking for a reticle with the best of all world's.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Moltke- I too am optimistic and probably won't be disappointed. However, I've been wrong before so I don't have many eggs in that basket yet.

@JT- I'll have to agree to disagree with you, unless it features a real daylight bright dot like the Razor does, which makes a bold aiming point in the reticle unnecessary. But such bright dots are lacking in cheaper scopes, and some of those have aiming points bold enough to pick up quick but often at the expense of precision. And yes, inside of 300 doesn't require anything special but my opinion of reticles is skewed by the fact that I shoot my rifle to well over twice that distance, mostly because I'm too cheap (or poor) to actually have a long range precision gun so my 3g rifle gets to play jack of all trades and I'm always looking for a reticle with the best of all world's.

For $350 I wouldn't expect illumination to be bright like the Razor HD II. In fact I am expecting to not even put batteries in my game guns that would use it.

I hear the reticle is going to be design for 3-gun. Hopefully it looks like the JM reticle that had an drunken unprotected one night stand with the BRT reticle.

Im hoping/guessing it will have some sort of circle or horseshoe with a small dot in the center. The dot will hopefully be 1 Moa for precision aiming and the circle will be used as a high speed hosing aiming point since illumination won't be useable in daylight. Hopefully it will Have 3-4 smallish marks below the dot for 200, 300, 400, & 500 yards. Maybe a windage bar or two would be tits.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

That all sounds well enough. As someone whose spent a lot of time behind a BRT, a reticle of similar design absolutely must be SFP, FFP gets way too small at 1x, it would be nice if the center dot stood apart from the post underneath it (it may but in my model the glass is so horrible you can't really tell what's going on there anyway), and I'd still like a couple windage dots on the side to give some useful place to hold off of for the nonstop tornadoes I always have to shoot in.

At this point I would be surprised if it came with anything less than an awesome reticle. Vortex is on the ball when it comes to 3 gun equipment.

If its as good as a viper pst 1-4 in quality its going to blow a lot of manufacturers out of the water for 3 gun.

I probably wont get away from my razor, but ill defiantly be buying one at that price point.

The point at the top is the 100yd aiming point. You could certainly zero it however you liked and use Strelok to figure out the range values of all the other hashes, but I personally like a 100yd zero with optics. Irons I prefer the 50/200 but that's a different story.

Yes....200 yard zero! My work rifle ' s red dot is 50/200 and my limited gun. Thank you for having a scope with the same setting. I understand that I could use the program but would like to have the scope set up for the 50/200 right off the bat

When I put that in the reticle I was specifically thinking of the 4" autopopper at 100 yards - rascaly devils

It's true, he said that very thing 3 hours ago.

ETA: hey raleck thanks for taking the time to chat with a walk in and drop some knowledge on me!

Edited by TonytheTiger