Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whoa ... case feeder for the 550????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get first article parts in from the mold house about the First of December. If these work out well, then we should see assemblable parts in large quanties between December 15 to January 15th. We hope to start taking orders about mid-November. :ph34r:

So, how exactly does it work? I'm just trying to imagine what actually places the brass in the shellplate.

We get first article parts in from the mold house about the First of December. If these work out well, then we should see assemblable parts in large quanties between December 15 to January 15th. We hope to start taking orders about mid-November. :ph34r:

Thanks for the replies. I'll buy one as soon as it comes out!

Thanks for the replies. I'll buy one as soon as it comes out!

+1 Looks like pure SEX to me. ;)

Just got a final list of cartridges the case feed will work for- It will handle most handgun cartridges from 32 S&W Long through .454 Casull, plus 25-20,32-20, 38-40, & 44-40.

It will not handle 32ACP and 380 ACP. Cost of the case feed assembly will be $229.95, which will include one case feed plate. The actual caliber conversion, which consists of a

locator to guide the case into the shellplate and an adaptor for the bottom of the case feed tube is sold separately from the case feeder, at a price of $19.95. The caliber conversion parts are similar to, but not interchangeable with the XL650.

For those who will ask, we tested the case feed with 30 Carbine and 22 Hornet, but it lacked reliability with those calibers.

We anticipate accepting orders beginning with the Desert Classic. :ph34r:

No .223?!? Yer killin' me! :D

Well, it's good to have an option for the calibers you do have listed. In all reality they shoot far more than I do even w/ an AR Service Rifle, and probably need it more.

Thanks,

Monte

The primary purpose for the 550 case feeder is for increasing handgun caliber production on existing machines. If you are buying a new machine, the 650 has additional advantages besides the case feeder. But there are a bunch of 550 machines already in existance; most shooters go through more handgun ammo than rifle ammo; if you already have a 550 and multiple caliber conversions, then it is much more cost effective to add a case feeder to increase productivity than to sell the 550 and replace it with a 650 (unless you want higher output of rifle cartridges).Plus some people prefer the additional control offered by manual indexing, which is only available on the 550. Additionally, the caliber variety available on the 550 is greater than that of the 650, because the manual indexing allows loading of bigger, taller cartridges than the auto indexing of the 650. On the 650, the tallest rounds still have the bullet up in the seat die when the shellplate begins to rotate. :ph34r:

We begin accepting orders in person next Friday at the Desert Classic , the Area 2 Championship being held in Mesa, Arizona.

We will begin taking orders by phone on Monday, November 14th. The case feeder probably won't be available online until December 1st. :ph34r:

I will get the 550 Casefeeder and the Casefeed Conversion Kits built into my Online Store soon, probably probably toward the end of next week. They will be in a "pre-order" situation, with an approximate ship-date of mid-January.

In Large or Small Pistol, the Casefeeder will be $229.95. (The Casefeed plates are the same plates used by the 650.)

In addition to the Casefeeder, you will need a Casefeed Conversion Kit for each caliber, which are $19.95.

The Casefeeder will not work with Rifle calibers, including 30 Carbine and 22 Hornet.

The Station One Locator, used by the 550 Casefeeder, is not the same as the 650's Station One Locator.

be

1 877 219.5598

Dillon had one on display at the Area 2 Vendor tent in Mesa. It's pretty slick...

can you describe how it worked?

Marginally.

The feeder interfaces with the press where the case ramp/paper clip thing is. The lower half of the feeder thing rides up and down with the stage. It fastens where the case ramp bolts into the bottom side of the platform. There is a slip joint sort of thing that allows the press to work while keeping the feeder bowl stationary. I forget the exact machinery that pushes the case into the shell plate. I did not take any pictures. (I could of used a camera on Stage 2 though!). Perhaps Dillon will publish something soon. The Dillon guy I talked to refered to the thing as a prototype so perhaps they don't want pictures out yet.

$229 :o:o:o OUCH !!

New 550B 349.95 + 229.95 - $579.90

New 650 459.95 + 179.95 - 639.90

A grand total of $60 difference between the 550 and 650 with auto case feeder.

Do you really think you can sell that many of these with such a small price difference ? Especially if it is limited to pistol calibers ?

I'm not knocking the idea by any means, but in my mind, the 550 must offer some serious advantages over the 650 if I were buying one new, or the 550 needs a substantial price drop on the core unit. The 550B does have it's advantages, but such a small price difference may cut heavily into 550B new sales.

I like the 550B's, I have two - great machines in every respect, but when a completely outfitted rig approaches $60 of the next machine up the scale, I would drop the $60 bucks in a heartbeat.

Not to say you won't sell a ton for retrofit, you will. I was going to place an order for one the first day they could be ordered, but for $229 I think I will wait and let someone else ginuea pig it.

Any significant upgrades in the works for the 650 ?

BigSlick

BigSlick,

I am with you. The case feeder is over-priced. I would sell my 550B and purchase a 650 before shelling out the bucks for this puppy. One of the reason I purchased a Dillon was because of it's high resale value.

If the case feeder option included a manual auto-index select feature, I would say it's worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a 550 for a number of years to support two USPSA & two IDPA matches per month. I do not see the need for a case feeder, however, it's not what we need, but what we want. Big toys for big boys, great marketing on Dillon's part.

I'll bite.

I'm too deep into 550s to switch to 650s, so I'll set up my high volume load (38 Special) and see how it goes.

Dillon is accepting orders for shpment in mid-Jan 06. I've heard the casefeeder is in thier Jan 06 catalog.

Dillons been good to me - I'll trust they got it right - Ordered mine today = $230 + $20/caliber.

Craig

Inside cover of the January Blue Press.

Though, I would've rather had the girl on the front demonstrating the casefeeder rather than holding some wheelgun! :)

If you're going to just be starting out loading and don't have a press yet, obviously the 650 is a better solution imho. Something else to remember is that a 650 is more expensive to outfit with different calibers at nearly twice the cost for shellplate kits so those with many calibers to load, it'd be cheaper to shell out the $250 for casefeeder and adapter.

BE has on his site "In addition, a Casefeed Caliber Conversion is required for each caliber." I don't see why Dillon didn't include the first caliber conversion with the casefeeder. I am a bit disappointed in them stiffing us with a $20 kit that obviously everyone is going to have to purchase the first time at least.

Edited by ampleworks