Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whoa ... case feeder for the 550????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a little more info I ran across on another dealers site.

"Dillon was showing a Case Feed system for the RL550B!!! Expect it to be ready for retail in about 6-8 months. It is more complicated than the XL650 Case Feed (same hopper but you need more than that) so expect a retail in the $225-$250 range."

NW

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to a guy at a gun show this afternoon that has made one for his press. I'm pretty sure he has a Dillon. I'll have to have a look at it for myself someday but it's a heck of a good idea for the 550B. He also made an automatic primer tube filler and say's it loads primers twice as fast as the one Dillon sells. He must be one hell of a tinkerer.

• 3 weeks later...

We got a guy up our way like that, he has the most amazing brass sorting machine.

I would be interested in a case feeder for the 550 even if it did not speed it up much if at all. Just not getting cramped in my hand from putting the brass in would be worth it.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I stopped in at Dillon last week in March. We picked up a 45 long colt, 44/40 winchester and 7.62x54r conversion setups. I also picked up the new brass bin kit for the 550b. I inquired at the case feeder for the 550b and was told that there was no less than three different prototypes with and without automatic indexing. It will be released in the spring of 2006.

thats all I know so far.

take care all,

eric

I wonder if that will come with autoindexing?

I bet it will be a separate price for the autoindexing and for the case feeder.

I always wondered what the extra holes are for on the strong mount.

Now I know.

take care,

eric

I called DILLON and asked them, they said "yes", they were working on a casefeeder for the 550B, it still won't have auto index, but he said it would be about $200 and the goal was to have it on the market before Christmas.

• 1 month later...
I called DILLON and asked them, they said "yes", they were working on a casefeeder for the 550B, it still won't have auto index, but he said it would be about $200 and the goal was to have it on the market before Christmas.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas!!

I don't mind the manual index - you have to reach for a bullet anyway (unless you have a bullet feeder).

IMO, the 550 priming system are more trouble-free than the 650.

Friend of mine had one on his 550 about 12-14 YEARS ago. It was an aftermarket thing made out of barstock aluminum. I *think* - maybe - it was made and sold by Beven Grams.

It worked. Friend said he was told in no uncertain terms it voided Dillon's warrantee.

Talked to a guy @ Dillon yesterday on the phone and he said that yes they were working on one, but he didn't see any way that it would be ready in time for Xmas '05. One guy says 'yes', another says 'no'. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Monte

• 3 weeks later...

A local (Central Florida) IPSC shooter by the name of Terry Phelps used to make a case feeder for the 550. This was before the 1050 and 650 existed it was a popular accessory, I used one the years.

Terry Phelps also made and sold cast bullets, one of the first to supply a light 160gr .45 bullet to IPSC shooters this was before there was a .40 S&W or a limited class in IPSC.

He also was a gunsmith building early race guns, I believe Dave Dawson worked for him for a short time.

He got out of the Gun / IPSC business years ago, don’t know what happened to him.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the new case feeder from Dillon for the 550 b and how it may work? Any idea as to cost and when they will hit the street. thanks, Old John

[edit: merged this post into an existing thread...thanks rtr]

Edited by Flexmoney

Got the new Dillon "Blue Press" the other day and noticed in the page where they compair all of the press features in spreadsheet form. On the 550B and under the heading case feeder it said Pending or something simiular.

Did anyone else catch that? I want I want I want!!!!

I had a 450 when they first came out. it was great!! then the 550 came out ! ( the 450 now sucked! LOL). I have 11 tool heads for the 550. then I got a 1050..then two. havent used the 550 in years. put a case feeder on it and i wiil be very happy!! :D

• 1 month later...

I just wondered if there were any more rumors of the case feeder?

If not here is one...

I noticed in the latest blue press that the case feeder was "pending" on the 550...

Looks like marketing has gotten wind of this option and I may have to lighten my wallet in the future...

;)

Ira