Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whoa ... case feeder for the 550????

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dillonprecision.com website is down for me. I wonder if they are doing a website update with new product(s) from the SHOT show?

This casefeeder might be something needed since the Hornady progressive press has been getting enough good reviews for long enough that it may be impacting 550 sales. I've seen plenty of comments like "650 features for a 550 price and you can add a case feeder later, you can't do that with a 550". I'm not giving up my 550 anytime soon, but the bad reviews on the Hornady press are way down compared to a few years ago. Bring on the case feeders! :)

I called Dillon, and the customer service guy I talked to said that he knew they had been working on one, but that the higher up's haven't said anything more to them about it. Didn't know anything about when it might be out, or pricing. I am hanging on the edge of my reloading bench. :D

OMG!

Well, the case feeder for the 650 is $180 (more or less). I doubt one for the 550B would be much beyond that.

I'll keep the AmEx idling just in case....

Some year I just have to get to the SHOT show....dammit.

After thinking about it, Dillon must be concerned about something to release a factory casefeeder for the 550B. With the 550's lower cost and easier/cheaper caliber conversions, this casefeeder could hurt the sales for the 650. Wouldn't it be interesting if someone else was about to release a good casefeeder for the 550 and Dillon decided to do it first? I love the idea of a 550 casefeeder, but the why of it makes me curious. <_<

After thinking about it, Dillon must be concerned about something to release a factory casefeeder for the 550B. With the 550's lower cost and easier/cheaper caliber conversions, this casefeeder could hurt the sales for the 650. Wouldn't it be interesting if someone else was about to release a good casefeeder for the 550 and Dillon decided to do it first? I love the idea of a 550 casefeeder, but the why of it makes me curious. <_<

Some time back there was a thread about someone who used to work for Dillion quitting and working on a casefeeder??? Was that also for the 550?

Thought that was a bullet feeder, not a case feeder.

And if the long rumored bullet feeder for the 650 is in the immediate future then having a case feeder for the 550 won't hurt sales. Besides, the 650 still has auto indexing, another station for a powder check or whatever and so on.

Either way, they stand to sell a PILE of case feeders for the 550. I know someone who will be watching the Dillon site several times a day.

Maybe Brian will have some inside intel for us tomorrow.

Edited by kimel

Looks kool enough to spend the bucks on just for the visual. I wonder how much it will speed up the loading process? How much time do you save with the case feeder on a 650?

On the 650 I'd say the case feeder is worth 15% at a minimum (in speed).

But there's more to it than that:

1) Improved Saftey

Anytime you can reduce the number of steps performed by a human, the safer the operation will be. Maybe not on the 50th round but on the 500th, you betcha! Also few steps mean you can give more attention to watching what's going on with the press, and additional important, if soft, saftey advantage.

2) Expanded capability

The increased speed form both the feeder and the auto indexing lets me do stuff like run brass through twice - 1st run deprimes, then I tumble (cleans out the primer pocket, and I catch crappy brass). 2nd run sizes & loads. Press is smoother and easier to run. This mode is particularly useful for rifle brass.

The CF for the 550 sounds like a great thing!

I saw the gizmo at the show. It is a prototype, machined from barstock, as a test and demonstration of principle rig. The interest is quite high, and judging from the commetns I heard while in and around the Dillon booth, a sure thing for sales. But until it is bulletproof Dillon isn't making any promises. Except that I'll get one as soon as it is ready.

Or course I've heard rumors of this... ;)

A casefeeder without auto-indexing - I wonder if the theoretical improvement in speed would be worth not only the cost, but the increased maintenance, changeover time, and tunning?

Not sure, just wondering...

And I wonder about it from a marketing standpoint as well. It will definitely dent the 650's sales, although you still won't have an extra toolhead station for a Powder Check, and it still won't be nearly as fast as the 650/w/auto-indexing.

:unsure:

be

Would Dillon ever sell a combo casefeeder/auto-index mod for the 550?

Dillon apparently has a prototype casefeeder working well or it wouldn't be at the SHOT show. If the feeder rises/falls with the shellpate, I have an idea for an auto-index that could be added to a 550 with slight mods. What I'm thinking of would require a casefeeder for practical operation. It'd load as quick as a 650, but would it ever be sold? If I can think of how to do it, so can Dillon. B)

I suspect the market segmet Dillon is going after are the guys that have a 550 and are never going to move to a 650...which has got to be a pretty big part of the market. So, how to get more $$$ pried out of their wallets? Make new toys for the press they already have!

I have thus far personally spoken to several 550 owners, guys that have had 550 presses for years, who would pre-order one today if they could.

As far as speed increases...this all depends on how the case feeder operates. If you can leave the right hand on the handle and just move the shell plate and place a bullet with the left hand then there will be some speed gained and ergonomically it is a big advantage. Even though you might think you are placing the bullet and inserting a new case at the same time you probably aren't. Time how fast you flip the shell plate and place a bullet. Now time this including the placement of a new case on the shell plate.

Now, if you have to remove your right hand and push a knob or throw a lever or do anything else to make the case hit the shell plate then the case feeder is just a toy.

Anyone that saw it in action care to enlighten us as to how it functions?

The lads at Dillon aren't stupid. If they bring this to market they have a good reason for it.

Just given the reaction in this thread and what seems to have come out of SHOT it looks like they will sell a pile of these...if they come to market.

Don't forget the 650 bullet feeder that was a strong rumor about a year ago. Pictures and the whole 9 yards but that still isn't on the market as far as I know.