Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whoa ... case feeder for the 550????

BE has on his site "In addition, a Casefeed Caliber Conversion is required for each caliber." I don't see why Dillon didn't include the first caliber conversion with the casefeeder. I am a bit disappointed in them stiffing us with a $20 kit that obviously everyone is going to have to purchase the first time at least.

They could have did that but then they would have had to add $20 to the price of the Casefeeder w/conversion. (Retail is based off cost.)

They do a "similar" thing with the 550 press. When you order a 550 press, with one sku number, it "appears" you are ordering the 550 w/Caliber Conversion (for whatever caliber you order). But actually two separate sku numbers are used for the order, which total the 349.95 retail price. One sku/price for the 550 w/o Caliber Conversion, and one sku/price for the Caliber Conversion. So the "behind the scenes bookwork" for the 550 has to include a series of sku numbers for the 550 w/Caliber conversion; a series of sku's for the Caliber conversions only; and a sku number for the 550 only. I'm guessing they decided to simplify the ordering/sku/scheme this time with the Casefeeder.

Last year, Dillon considered changing the way you ordered a 550 to they way they're doing for the Casefeeder now: You order the machine and the conversion separately. But the 550 had been ordered they way it was for so long (order one part number and get the machine and Caliber Conversion), that it was feared the confusion caused by the change wouldn't be worth it. (A big fear of mine actually, from taking orders for years.) So I'm guessing that since the Casefeeder is a new item, they choose to educate "how you buy it" correctly from the beginnning.

be

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Brian / Dillon on this.

As a dealer when you stock Dillon (that is actually carry them in your retail shop on display), you have to order the RL550 machine only and then the seperate conversion kits as required. This means I can carry 5 or 6 machines at a time and as many conversion kits as my budget allows. When a customer comes in I can supply him / her immediately off the shelf with the machine and the right conversion kit and dies for his calibre. This means I don't have to carry 25 machines, each in a specific calibre.

The price of a press that you buy is made up of the base price of a machine plus the conversion kit either way. They have just done the casefeeder the way they sell RL550's to the dealers who carry stock. I don't want to have twenty casefeeders in stock, just two or three, and a bunch of conversion kits, way cheaper for me, therefore way cheaper for the customer.