Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

backup competition pistol?

jriggs

so I have a question I was hoping I could get some input from everyone on?

in and of the sports...USPSA, IDPA or 3 Gun....how many of you guys keep a spare pistol in your bag/car for that rare occasion where your primary competition pistol goes down?

the reason I ask...last year was my first season of competitive shooting...I was using an M&P and during the course of the year I built a second M&P that was identical to my competition pistol. it was there in case there was a serious failure...I figured I could just grab the spare and get right back into the next upcoming stage without having to "fix" what went wrong with the primary.

no moving forward...I've sold my M&P and moved over to glocks...and I have 34 that I worked up for 3 gun. I'm tossing around the idea again of building another identical 34 to have as a spare.

am I wasting my time and money building up the second pistol? how many other guys out there keep a spare pistol in case of failure...and out of those guys...how many GLOCK shooters keep a second pistol.

I'm proficient working on safe action pistols...does it make more sense to just keep all the spare parts handy and save that cash for something else?

thanks,

riggs

I think having a spare pistol is a great idea. I wouldn't even say it needs to be "built up." Even a stock pistol with the same sights can go a long way. If your gun is broken, it would be so much easier to get a RM's approval and switch than it would be to have to fix your gun mid-match.

Yeah that was my thought too. This is what I worked with this year. I'm just curious how many shooters have had issues where the arch was over for them due to massive failure with a glock? 3ad0f5f271178e1bc15f9e45f33f9d72.jpg

Fun $$$ is tight and I can't make up my mind as to whether or not I want to do the same thing with my glock??

Edited by jriggs

it is a great idea.

I have both an M&P Pro and Glock 34 but do not have a spare of either. I have been debating consolidating for similar reasons as you mentioned.

In your case (and mine really), I feel perfectly comfortable going to a safe area and fully rebuilding a Glock. I have enough components that I feel comfortable I could get through a match. I don't have a spare "competition" trigger bar, which I should probably get.

I look at it as cost. As mentioned, it's a lot easier to just get an identical gun approved for a switch by the MD than it is to monkey with trying to fix something.

If I take 3 days off from work, pay a match fee, travel and want to meet goals - a second pistol isn't that big of a deal. I am just getting back into shooting USPSA and have already started working up a second G34 to match my main Production pistol. IF money is tight, just get some parts. That being said. In 14 years of shooting USPSA, mostly with glocks, I have only had a slide lock spring break in the middle of a match. I electrical taped it down and finished the match (college student at the time with 1 pistol.)

Absolutely it's a Good Idea.. Have 2 Glock 34's. Make them Identical as far as sights, triggers etc. Use 1 as your Competition Gun and the other as a Practice Gun that you beat up practicing during the week. The Practice gun gets all the practice rounds and also is your Backup Gun.

Depends on how serious of a competitor you are. If you are very serious and compete at high levels then heck ya.

If you are a weekend warrior then I think one glock 34 would be fine. Just keep a few spare parts and your good to go.

If you just want to buy another gun then go for it. Why not? Instead of a glock 34 how about a glock 35? You could use it for uspsa limited and throw a 9mm conversion barrel and use it for 3 gun!

Edited by 3djedi

jriggs?

how many other guys out there keep a spare pistol in case of failure...and out of those guys...how many GLOCK shooters keep a second pistol.

I always have a 2nd competition Glock in the range bag, actually 3 setup with the exact same, along with 2nd backup electric ears, holster, safety glasses, etc.

I think it all depends on how the budget is. With a glock its not that expensive of a gun but its also one that dosent break often and is also an easy one to fix. When I shot a glock, the backup was basically the parts in a carry gun and never had to resort to fixing it at a match. For a 2011, its not as easy a gun to fix in a safe area as the parts would need to be prefit etc. Since I have a 2011 now, I keep the factory trigger parts that I could swap if I have time and my old glock, as a backup to it. Even going to larger matches, I just cant justify dropping over 3K for a backup open gun set up exactly the same as I have to sit there Idol to have IF it goes down at a big match. Just depends on what Its worth to you to have the exact same gun to finish a match with(thats probibally already tanked if your gun messed up to the point of needing a backup to be used). For me I will take something that will allow me to finish and call it good

I compete with a tricked out G35 for Limited division. The only other .40 cal Glock I have is a stock G23. I always bring it as a last-ditch just in case backup gun. I don't expect that I'll have a failure that I'll need it for. I keep a lot of spare parts in my range bag.

I compete with a 34, but keep a 17 for backup. It would be easy to borrow a rifle or shotgun to complete match, but a handgun that shoots your ammo and fits your holster would be much harder.

I was thinking the same thing....I have a g34 and a g19, but I was thinking about getting a g17 as a backup comp gun.

I've cracked a slide in a club match.....

I probably finished that with my backup.....

I've always carried a second identical gun to major matches, and in states where my carry permit was recognized I brought a Glock 19 along as well. Then I carried a tool kit and an extensive set of spare parts.

End result -- I always finished the match match with the gun I started it with....

I would love to have a spare pistol but have too much money into it to have two. I do keep spare parts with me. All of the normal replacement parts you would expect and I keep a lot of OEM parts (barrel, slide, striker) that I could throw in if my aftermarket parts failed.