Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which magazines are the preferred choice?

mikeinctown

My new SP-01 is due in Monday and it comes with the high capacity mags. I do plan on getting into shooting with one of the organizations and was wondering what the preferred or legal magazines are for the CZ?

Also, would the choice be the same for the shadow?

Last, I see people getting replacement springs and followers as well as aluminum basepads. What are the preferred parts of the setup? I guess I'm looking to figure out what parts you guys all use in order to get reliability and proper function and capacity and still be legal.

I like MecGars (17rd). I also have a set of nickel plated MecGars from CZC with ShockBottle basepads.

The regular MecGars are stock.

All the above is for Production.

I sold my factory 18rd mags because during spirited reloads, the base pads pop off.

Sorry for the late response. I will most likely play IDPA in either SSP or ESP though I may get involved in another organization. Either way it would be mostly stock. (Would love to eventually shoot a tactical sport)

Anyway, I've seen the Mec Gar mags in the different capacities as well as the regulations CZ mags. So far it looks like the nickel plated is better than the anti friction coating they advertise. I've also read that CZ Custom sells replacement springs that are better than the stock stuff.

You just can't beat the deal at Greg Cote. MecGar 17 round AFCs for $24.95 each plus $6.95 shipping on total order. They work and factory springs are fine. I also have the CZ plated ones but by the time you pay for shipping and the 5 mag deal they cost over $38 each. I don't think they are worth $12 more a mag.

Edited by z40acp

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 cz rigs.

17 mec gar 16 round with the cz rubber base pads and have never changed any springs. I really like g his set up.

8 cz 18 rounders that all have the +10 springs so they don't puke rounds.

8 19 round mec gar all original.

All work for my guns.

• 3 weeks later...

i want the 16rnd nickel plated ones, any manufacturer. not that easy here in CA.

Following up on this as I'm in the same situation in Hawaii. I just need an alternative to the factory blued mags as things tend to rust extremely quickly here.

Ideally, I would have a nickel body with a limiter/plug.

Thanks

I have the two factory 18 round mags, unmodified in any way, that came with the gun. Are the Mec Gar 17 rounders with an aftermarket base pads the preferred production legal mag? Im really liking the looks of the Springer pads, will the factory 18 rounders fit the box with those? Either way, I'm going to get the 17 round mags, but I would like to have the factory mags as some spares, set up in the same manner. What have been everyone's experiences been with that set up?

I have the two factory 18 round mags, unmodified in any way, that came with the gun. Are the Mec Gar 17 rounders with an aftermarket base pads the preferred production legal mag? Im really liking the looks of the Springer pads, will the factory 18 rounders fit the box with those? Either way, I'm going to get the 17 round mags, but I would like to have the factory mags as some spares, set up in the same manner. What have been everyone's experiences been with that set up?

The factory 18rds should fit the USPSA and IDPA boxes. The Mec-gar 17rders with the Springer pads are the same length as the factory 18's. I actually just set up all my Mec-gars that way.