Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

100 round case gauge?

Sarge

I'm finally thinking of picking up one of the hundred round case gauges by shockbottle.

Are the opinions still positive after extensive user testing?

Will be 9mm. I load everything with a Udie and gauge with a Dillon. If it passes that gauge it works fine in my gun. Do I need the super match version with tighter specs or is the original plenty tight for my needs? I don't want a really high failure rate if the standard model is good enough.

Thanks everybody!

Kevin

They are awesome. Will never go back after using one. I have one for 9mm and .40S&W. Hell I even case gauge all my practice ammo now since it is so quick. You should be ok with the standard spec version. The gauge is way more picky than the chambers on my guns. You can have full confidence that if passes the gauge it will run in your gun. Both my guns, CZ SP-01 & Tactical Sport, will still chamber most rounds that fail the gauge.

Edited by W_Buck

The HUNDO is great, when done you can flip the whole 100 into the ammo box upside down, the flip into another ammo box right side up. I gauge all ammo, any ammo that does not pass goes in a large bag that I use for draw only practice.

I have the standard 9mm Hundo and love it. Its a little bit tighter than my Dillon gauge. Everything that passes the Dillon works in both my unaltered CZs. I normally Hundo everything, then the ones that dont pass the Hundo get a last chance with the Dillon.

I have the Shockbottle (regular one, not the match grade). Sometimes I buy things and later regret it. NOT this time. This thing is fast and slightly tighter than the Dillon gauge. It has caught 5 different cracked cases that easily pass the Dillon gauge. It has caught a couple of cases that were slightly bulged near the head and also passed the Dillon gauge (although slightly hard to fall out of that D gauge).

I am sold on the ability of this thing. Buy it...fast and improved gauging. It demonstrated the need for a Lee Factory Crimp die in place of the Dillon crimp die in stage 4 of my press.

With these chamber checkers, there really is no reason not to chamber check every round you make (it's quick.)

And since I began practicing with ammo that has been checked, I would never go back to checking only my match ammo - I can't count how many times I would have a malfunction in practice and be standing on the range scratching my head wondering whether the problem was caused by a bad round or if the gun was developing a problem. With every round having been chamber checked I almost never get a malfunction and, when I do, one possible cause is off the table.

I have both the match grade 9mm and the .40L and I have one in .38 Super coming. They had .38SC but came out with the .38 super about a week ago. Checking rounds 100 at a time is so much faster than 7 at a time with the EGW.

In case anyone looking for the new .38 Super for their Open rounds you can get them at Ben's pro shop

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=CG38SR-100

I am getting ready to start loading .40. I assume I will be loading my rounds long for the new gun that I am getting. I found a deal in a used Shock Bottle 40 case gauge. Any reason that I couldn't use it for ammo up to 1.20 OAL ammo? The site says get the long for ammo over 1.20 OAL.

I have both the match grade 9mm and the .40L and I have one in .38 Super coming. They had .38SC but came out with the .38 super about a week ago. Checking rounds 100 at a time is so much faster than 7 at a time with the EGW.

In case anyone looking for the new .38 Super for their Open rounds you can get them at Ben's pro shop

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=CG38SR-100

Whats the difference between a 38SC and 38super gages? I use the SC gage for both.