Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Sniper (film)

Jman

This book helped to change my view of servicemen, their families and what they have to endure. Easily one of my favorite reads.

can I ask, what was your view of service members that made you change your view.
While I always had a respect for servicemen, I hadn't given much thought for their families before. This book didn't paint a fairytale of a perfect relationship and was very honest about those struggles.

I live in the great state of Texas. I my line of work, I interact with a great many people, lots of them are veterans. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank several of them for their service. When I can, I also support organizations that sell items that contribute to veterans and their families.

Edit: Change my view probably wasn't what I meant. This book helped me to better understand what servicemen and their loved ones have to endure.

Edited by v1911

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I always had a respect for servicemen, I hadn't given much thought for their families before. This book didn't paint a fairytale of a perfect relationship and was very honest about those struggles.

I live in the great state of Texas. I my line of work, I interact with a great many people, lots of them are veterans. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank several of them for their service. When I can, I also support organizations that sell items that contribute to veterans and their families.

Edit: Change my view probably wasn't what I meant. This book helped me to better understand what servicemen and their loved ones have to endure.

it just sounded like you had a bad view prior to reading book that's why I asked.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have my helmet on am prepared for the beat down. I would rather watch act of valor any day! This movie didn't do a thing for me. Just like the book didn't. Not up to Clint's usual standards. It will probably win an academy award though.

This movie is an excellent character study in Chris Kyle, how he who he was, why he fought and what the ramifications of his service were.

It isn't pro or anti war. It is true to the book and based on Taya Kyle's statements and interviews, true to Chris.

It is very well done.

One thing in the article that I have never understood - perhaps someone can explain it to me ???

The Iraq military gassed Kurds and Iranians with poison gas, seems everyone agrees on that.

As far as I can tell - poison gas is considered a "weapon of mass destruction" !

People claim that Iraq had no "weapons of mass destruction" ??

Saw it this evening. It was well worth seeing on the big screen. They definitely changed a few things from the book to give the movie more of a linear plot feel, but it was well done. This could have easily been a great 4hr movie and they could have stayed more in line with the book. Never heard so many men sniffle at a movie. It was almost eerie how quiet everyone was while exiting the theater.

One thing in the article that I have never understood - perhaps someone can explain it to me ???

The Iraq military gassed Kurds and Iranians with poison gas, seems everyone agrees on that.

As far as I can tell - poison gas is considered a "weapon of mass destruction" !

People claim that Iraq had no "weapons of mass destruction" ??

If memory serves, ingredients were found to make sarin and mustard gas but were so degraded and old it was a joke.

saw this movie tonight. good movie - I enjoyed how it focused solely on him. we didn't even see what was happening back home unless he was there or when he called home. didn't know until after the movie that Brad Cooper spent time talking to Chris Kyle for the movie before C.K. was killed.

I saw the movie and apart from some small technical criticisms, felt it tried to convey his story in the book accurately.

There was spontaneous and sustained applause at the end.

America is hungry for heroes and leaders.

The current crop of pygmies, both parties included, seem to be out of touch with the world as it is and infatuated with the world as they wish it was.

This is extremely dangerous.

Chris Kyle, whatever his foibles, accomplished great deeds of valor, on the battlefield that can not be diminished.

He was not a saint but a man with flaws like each of us, perhaps more publicly known now.

After seeing the movie was deeply moved by his sacrifice and the sacrifices of all of the men and women and their families, all volunteers, since 9/11.

Just watched the movie. It differs significantly from the book, imo. Tries to be a bit of an action movie, whereas the book paints more of a picture of a guy going to work everyday, and his job just happens to be to look through a scope for hours and hours.

The movie fails to convey many points from the book I thought were really enjoyable, but no movie can ever encompass all the great details that a book can, so I get some of the omissions. Didn't think this was one of Eastwood's better jobs, and it barely even felt like an Eastwood movie, right until the ending tribute section, where Eastwood really shines. That section was extraordinarily well done, imo, and the movie is worth it just for those final minutes.

Was also pleased that it didn't turn into a political thing. It stayed focused on the man himself, the sacrifices he and his family made and the service he gave -- as it should be.

Well worth a watch

Awesome movie. Make sure you get there probably a half hour early because we got there twenty minutes early and there was only about ten seats left, they were in the front row and on the side. Made the screen look warped and my neck hurt.

OK I have my helmet on am prepared for the beat down. I would rather watch act of valor any day! This movie didn't do a thing for me. Just like the book didn't. Not up to Clint's usual standards. It will probably win an academy award though.

I'm with you Kevin. My wife and I left the theater scratching our heads trying to figure out what the movie was about. An action flick with some dramatic scenes yes, but zero character development and a weak story line.