Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Scale accurate to 0.01

ES13Raven

Currently using a Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digital scale, which is accurate to +/- 0.1 grains. It had great reviews on Amazon and Midway, and was only $25 so I bought it. It has been working fine so far, but I would like even better accuracy.

Are there any digital scales that are accurate to +/- 0.01 that are not too expensive?

I usually do 10 drops into the pan of my scale for my reloads. That way I know I'm dropping the correct weight. Like if I need 4.2 grains, I adjust the powder measurer till I can drop 10 drops into the scale pan and get 42 grains. That way if you really feel you need to get another decimal you can go to 42.5 grains, which would be a 4.25 grains in an individual drop.

The scales may not be a problem to find but who produces a powder measure accurate to +/- 0.01 grain? Unless you want to load all your rounds individually +/-0.1

is as good as you need. A beam scale is all I have used for my reloading and all that science used throughout history. You can work to 0.05 with them as long as you don't have the fan running on a hot night :surprise:

I usually do 10 drops into the pan of my scale for my reloads. That way I know I'm dropping the correct weight. Like if I need 4.2 grains, I adjust the powder measurer till I can drop 10 drops into the scale pan and get 42 grains. That way if you really feel you need to get another decimal you can go to 42.5 grains, which would be a 4.25 grains in an individual drop.

This is it right here :)

Once I started doing this I couldn't believe I ever measured one drop at a time. Another big time saver was when I realized I could remove the failsafe rod, work the powder drop manually and dump 20-30 charges in a few seconds before weighing my first ten.

Never heard of a powder measure being more accurate than .1 gain and worse depending on the powder so not see what getting a scale that is an order of magnitude more accurate than oupowder measure going to do for you except empty your wallet ...

Don't know if it's considered "too expensive"; but have been extremely satisfied with the GemPro 250. Lifetime warranty and accurate to 0.02gr.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-gempro-250.html

HR

PS: Just noticed that it appears to be the unit that Brian sells as ron169 pointed out above.

Highly recommended.

Edited by HOGRIDER

I just so happen to have a background in which I have acquired lab grade components such as highly accurate scales with draft windows, and certifications of mg accuracy. I recently purchased a Gempro 250 knockoff that apparently uses the same HBM sensor as the Gempro, similar layout, etc, just a different case (still with the adjustable feet, and the leveling bubble, etc), and it was surprisingly accurate after calibration compared to a multi-thousand dollar lab grade scale. I think all in I paid about $60 US for it. At the time I also saw the same scale without the AC adapter for $50 US. It reads to 0.001 grams and 0.02 grain. Fantastic when you're charge is around 4-5 grains. A tenth of a variation in many powder scales is not quite sufficient to me at 4-5 grains. But ya the Gempro from OWK is a great purchase at $150 with the noise suppressing adapter thrown in, and fantastic warranty as well.

This is what I do as well, it works great.

I bought a Gem Pro... but it was not that accurate.... it quit all together... so I sent it back.. got another one... the new one was screwy... if you dropped a charge in it.. after sitting on the scale for about a minute.. it would count down... meaning if you put 5.0 gr and let it sit for a minute.. it would register 4.9.. and after another minute it would register 4.8 and so on... so I got rid of it... bought a RCBS Charge Master... did not regret buying it... you usually get what you pay for ... !

This

I've been using the 0.05 grain scale http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1391

It has a resolution of +/- .05 grains, so 4.0 grains will read 3.95--4.05.

The other scale mentioned above has a resolution of +/-.02 scales, 4.0 will read 3.98--4.02

but can your powder measure hold those tolerances?

A five, or better yet, a 10 drop average is more representative of what your powder measure is dropping,

regardless of the scale you are measuring it on. 'it all comes out in the wash'

If your powder measure can hold +/- .10 grain (1 part in 4375 of an ounce) you are doing real good.

Like a real high power rifle scope doesn't make the gun shoot better, you can just see you target and shots better.

Edited by truborshooter

I just so happen to have a background in which I have acquired lab grade components such as highly accurate scales with draft windows, and certifications of mg accuracy. I recently purchased a Gempro 250 knockoff that apparently uses the same HBM sensor as the Gempro, similar layout, etc, just a different case (still with the adjustable feet, and the leveling bubble, etc), and it was surprisingly accurate after calibration compared to a multi-thousand dollar lab grade scale. I think all in I paid about $60 US for it. At the time I also saw the same scale without the AC adapter for $50 US. It reads to 0.001 grams and 0.02 grain. Fantastic when you're charge is around 4-5 grains. A tenth of a variation in many powder scales is not quite sufficient to me at 4-5 grains. But ya the Gempro from OWK is a great purchase at $150 with the noise suppressing adapter thrown in, and fantastic warranty as well.

So what brand is this and where did you get it?

Great idea. Thanks!

It has no brand marking on it. Looks like a white knock off Gempro. I saw someone selling one recently on one of the gun forums I frequent, and was going to make an offer but he had already sold it. I believe I got it from amazon or ebay, nothing exotic. Looks almost identical to this:

1.0x0.jpg

Probably the same unless they decided to use a cheaper pressure sensor. But it is very comparable to a Gempro. It's about 1/3 the price. However, it doesn't come with Gempro's, VERY good warranty. Pretty much unless it's your fault that the scale no longer functions, My Weigh will warranty the Gempro. But so far any Gempro or this knockoff has never been more than ~0.003 g or ~0.0463 gr away from a lab scale that costs over $4000. Granted I only use the AC adapter, never batteries, I have it sitting on a foam pad, leveled on my reloading table, I let it sit for a few minutes, then calibrate (I also use a dryer sheet for static, particularly in the winter when it is much drier, not just on the scale but the powder dropper as well), and knock on wood, so far it has been accurate. So accurate I want a second in case this one breaks for whatever reason.

Edited by DuplexAlpha

This is what I do as well, it works great.

I like this method for verifying that my powder drop is functioning well. However, I also like to pull the first few cases through my press, scale them before and after the powder drop. I not only want to know that the first 10 consistent ones are my intended drop X 10. It's also nice to see consistency between cases as well. Or also every 100 or so (whenever I need to reload primers) I like to check the powder drop. But good tip guys.

Edited by DuplexAlpha

It has no brand marking on it. Looks like a white knock off Gempro. I saw someone selling one recently on one of the gun forums I frequent, and was going to make an offer but he had already sold it. I believe I got it from amazon or ebay, nothing exotic. Looks almost identical to this:

1.0x0.jpg

Probably the same unless they decided to use a cheaper pressure sensor. But it is very comparable to a Gempro. It's about 1/3 the price. However, it doesn't come with Gempro's, VERY good warranty. Pretty much unless it's your fault that the scale no longer functions, My Weigh will warranty the Gempro. But so far any Gempro or this knockoff has never been more than ~0.003 g or ~0.0463 gr away from a lab scale that costs over $4000. Granted I only use the AC adapter, never batteries, I have it sitting on a foam pad, leveled on my reloading table, I let it sit for a few minutes, then calibrate (I also use a dryer sheet for static, particularly in the winter when it is much drier, not just on the scale but the powder dropper as well), and knock on wood, so far it has been accurate. So accurate I want a second in case this one breaks for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Once I started doing this I couldn't believe I ever measured one drop at a time. Another big time saver was when I realized I could remove the failsafe rod, work the powder drop manually and dump 20-30 charges in a few seconds before weighing my first ten.

That's Brilliant! I always learn something when I read through the posts on BE.

It's just one of those things, the guy who taught me to reload on a 550 just told me to pull ten cases out of station three and dump the powder back in the hopper, then weight the 11th charge, so that's what I did, then when I was setting up my own 650 it hit me like a ton of bricks: I could just remove the fail safe rod at work the powder throw by hand :blush: and I've found that the charge weight doesn't settle down until you throw 20-30 charges, ten didn't seem to be enough.

And I find the charge settles down after just 2-3 drops but I do something similar. I drop 2-3 charges manually and dump them back in the hopper, then I do five drops and weigh it and then do five more drops and weigh it. If those two are consistent and average my intended charge, i roll.