Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHAT DID YOU LEARN THIS YEAR?

Alright, my year is just now ramping up to where I have a 3-gun match or two on almost EVERY single weekend until late November, so I thought I would share some subtle things I've learned in shooting and helping out with a major match this year that help me work on stuff for the rest of the year as a shooter, and for next year.

1: You can design stages that YOU think are fun, challenging, simple tests of skill.....but you will NEVER make everyone happy. After hearing complaints about designing stages that had elements of what I thought should be present at matches, I tend to keep some complaints about stage designs at other matches to myself unless constructive criticism is requested. <----about stage DESIGNS, if I see how something is being handled wrong....well I'll get to that.

I will likely never volunteer to assist with a match beyond being an RO again, but appreciate the experience it provided, and appreciate the work others put into matches even more now.

2: Complaining about match admin publically will never be received well. Let it go and walk away! If there is someone you can talk to who has influence at a match or group of matches, privately bring it to their attention and rely upon them to work towards correcting things. I hate the "chain of command" concept of getting things resolved, but in a close niche group of shooters, it's probably best. If nothing changes about what you observed, you can avoid that match in the future....if things change, you come back and praise them for the changes they made.

3: Don't take things too seriously. Matches that I put my game face on, listened to FFDP on my way to the stages, and was dead serious about how I needed to do...well, I had issues that I overlooked. When I went out to have fun, joke around off the clock, and hang out with good people....I had more fun and placed better.

4: Body position makes a big difference. At one match, I missed like CRAZY with pistol, then watched the video to find that for some reason I had all my weight on my left foot and was barely on my right big toe. Another match/stage, I did the same thing with shotgun while standing straight up instead of leaning into the gun.

5: Skills degrade if neglected. Worked hard on pistol all winter and spring, and shotgun loading during lunches at the office, while taking rifle shooting for granted....wanna guess what let me down this year?

6: If you're going to try to help people....accept that some people will not like how you help others. I put out a youtube video with some tutorial on strong hand quad loading in the hopes it would help a few shooters speed things up....reception was great, but there are always some people who will have negative criticism that brings little to the table.

7: Bringing out a product will get you both praise as a genius, and opinions that what you invented is a useless add on tool. Also expect several people to request free product before you ever have product in hand. haha

8: Reaffirmation that the people in this sport....even if we disagree about LOTS of things....are still the best people around, and can be insanely generous! I watched 2-3 people GIVE prize table/raffle shotguns/rifles away to junior shooters this year. You guys rock.

I've also seen a local shooter offer up his shotgun to a junior shooter at more than one maor match....and let her and her dad walk away with his match shotgun while he wasn't on their squad.

9:Match etiquette should be taught to all new shooters. Not just the RULES....but how things should be conducted and done when on the range. Things like resetting targets, whether or not it is acceptable to touch a paper or steel target that could be challenged, coaching a shooter on the clock,.... Unfortunately, some new shooters feel alienated when they do something that they do not realize was a party foul.

10: Warm up a little. I've noticed that I tend to do better when blood is flowing after windmilling the arms, some knee raises, and getting my body moving before a stage. When I walk onto a stage cold, I just don't move as well. This is a simple things to do.

PLEASE: Not looking for popcorn gifs or people arguing and would ask that anyone who wants to argue about what someone has learned keep it between PMs, I want to hear what you have learned, because there is someone out there who is just getting started (like me mid 2012) and could really benefit from knowing a few subtle things before attending their next big match.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Working on a big match and thinking about how other people are going to shoot does absolutely nothing for my shooting. If I tell myself I need to practice, I need to get out and practice. I spent so much time this year working to make our matches the best I could, I didn't do one lick of practice, and didn't even have my head in the game when I shot. Note to self: Go to the freaking range and get some trigger time in!

2) Try not to get so defensive. Everyone has different opinions, and MOSTLY, they are valuable. I, too, am going to do less complaining at other matches. I just send an AAR if requested. I do my best! I will listen, take in good ideas, and keep doing my best on match design. (This is more about running matches than shooting them!)

3) Go with my gut! Sometimes, I listen to others on stage plans...and since I didn't practice, figure to try something new will help out. It usually doesn't. Try some new things out in practice or local matches...not at a match where I'm trying to do well. Also, don't change my plan at the line. (Okay, I've learned this one for the past 12 years, but...) If I change my plan, I need to walk it at least twice and then 3 more times in my head!

4) Remember to breath like I've been told! I am supposed to breath a couple times before I get in the ready position AND I'm supposed to breath while I'm shooting. I am a little high strung/type A. (Stop laughing!!!!! :angry2: ) I do better on stages where I have a plan, have it in my head, but breath a couple times before I start!

5) Stop talking so much and walk the stage more. Remember to schedule reloads with pistol. Know where the targets are BEFORE I start shooting. Take a minute. I am always willing to "just shoot it" and I do better when I really do have a plan!

6) Clean my choke!!! (Panicking to try to change chokes right before you shoot when it's glued in there, is never a good thing!)

7) I still need to drink more even back east where it's wet and humid. I was dripping in Missouri, but I needed more fluids to avoid headaches and over heat yuckiness! Oh yeah, and wear my hat even though it gives me hat hair!

8) I need to remember I SHOOT for FUN!!! I have more fun when I'm prepared, but also when I'm relaxed.

9) Keep clapping and appreciating the match staff - from RO's to Directors. It's an enormous amount of work! I have more fun shooting the stage when the RO's are smiling! It's a great feeling to have RO's stop and stare at you when your squad claps for them. After long days in the heat, every one's nerves are frayed, and the RO's aren't having as much fun as if they were shooting. If it weren't for the staff, I'd have to set up my own stages. Appreciation makes me feel good, and others, too!

10) Let it go! Bad stages, mean comments, bad plans, stupid moves...let them go! Too late to fix them now!

Thanks EaZeNu! I've got 3 more big matches this year! I think this was a good thing for me to think about! I may even go out and practice next week!

:wub: Denise

Oh yeah!

11) Keep talking up 3-Gun! I've been so happy this year at the number of new shooters I see at one of our matches that I see later at another match...and they've got the bug! This is going to help 3-Gun grow! But, do remember to teach by example on resetting and lending things, safety and all those other things we do every day! Remember how lost I felt when I got started and keep telling them they will get better!

Edited by Benelli Chick

I should have been shooting major with a 2011 instead of 4 years of glock minor

I could have handled a 12 ga when I was 11 instead of waiting till I was 13 to start 3gun

I should of had a serious pistol class before last Saturday. Thanks Damon

I learned I need 10 times the practice this next year to reach my goals

Edited by Maize

Thought of another one.......

11: Don't ALWAYS lean on a perceived strength. An option stage of shotgun/pistol on all targets, I went shotgun only knowing that missing only 1-2 shots would have locked my bolt back empty versus dumping the shotgun half way thru and finishing with pistol on 12-13 targets that were close with 24+1 in my pistol. I lost 5 seconds on a FAST stage at the ProAm.

I learned that there are fewer and fewer matches that are worth going to, even if they have gigantic prize tables. Target presentation, interpretive R.O.ing and poor stage design.

Even if you hate Peacocks they are still going to strut, so it isn't worth the effort.

Shooting over seas is more fun than most matches in the U.S. even though there are no prize tables and it costs a lot more to go.

I learned that I can shoot passibly well without a hangover, although it isn't as much fun. :)

I learned that most folks in a fancy shooting shirt whom I have never seen before really don't have much of a sense of hummor.

I learned that the more folks want to change 3-gun, the more discord is spread, just look at the change in posts on rules, how to put on a match and scoring from 2010 to now.....NOT GOOD!!!

I have learned that

1) I need to shoot more and work less matches. Out of 12 matches so far this year, I have ROed 10 and MDed 2.

2) I need to work on breathing also.

3) I need to work on shotgun loading more and work on awkward pistol positions. Last match I found myself shooting through a set of low ports and I would either try to rest the pistol on the barrier or I was choking up on my pistol. Shoot through the ports not in the ports.

4) Listen, pick up on what other shooters tell me. I learned how much faster it was to shoot shotgun arrays from strong to weak side so my weak eye can acquire the next target as i shoot.

5) overall, my transition to 3 gun this year was well worth it. I love the sport and have made some great friends.

With each passing year there are more lessons learned.

This year I jumped on the heavy bandwagon and played with different handloads for the 308. What I learned from the trials and tribulations is that no matter how well you prep your only as good as the weakest link - mine just happened to be using once fired brass that had primer pockets that needed a slight amount of prep. Not more and definitely not a lot more which is what happened. Loosing primers out the back is a disaster waiting to happen - and it did at the Ironman and NW.

I've learned that shooting a 1x or irons is just as fast if not faster than running around with a magnified scope (in many situations) and its a whole lot of fun.

I've learned that shooting 1x makes you humble and teaches patience.

I've learned that old guy ways are not always in need of changing and that the TV and the lure of money has turned some pretty cool people into Donkeys.

I've learned to take snapshots of threads or chats and save them for rainy days when a chuckle is needed. Peacocks and moderators have a tendency to scrub out comments like "ricardo cranium" which looses full character value of some.

I've learned several new recipe's of cider :cheers:

Shooting over seas is more fun than most matches in the U.S. even though there are no prize tables and it costs a lot more to go.

I've Just learned that Kurt makes more money then me <_<

Edited by DocMedic

i've learned that i have way more fun hanging out with my shooting friends than I do going to matches and putting up with all the crap that has come out of
"growing 3 gun"

and as Kurt said, the list of matches worth attending here in the states has gotten way smaller in the last 5 years, "bigger ain't better" ..........."better is better"

and like in most things, the need for more money and fame turns good people into

,.....what was that word, Sterling???

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Donkeys. I've learned that kurtm and trapr are always right about Benelli's.

I have learned that I haven't really missed much because of matches not so great.

Patience because of new hip, now I have two metal. And now I am having new eyes put in, so more patience.

I love working on my guns and keeping them running.

Most of all, the game will be there when I get back, so stop angsting so much.

And lastly, I have learned to love my two local USPSA clubs again and building stages there. Even though most of the last four years was spent doing 3 Gun. Faster, better, happier next year.

I learned a lot this year.

1. You can't load diapers in magazines and diapers take a helluva a lot away from the ammo budget

2. Shooting skills are perishable..

3. It is harder to balance family and shooting when you love to travel for shooting and your family wants to travel with no shooting involved...

4. Some people will never learn...

5. Too hard rarely equals fun.. Too easy never equals fun... The happy medium of to hard and fun is hard to achieve consistently, but awesome when it is achieved...

6. Effort will always be appreciated more than lack of effort...

7. I love to shoot.. 3 Gun is my passion, USPSA and IDPA bore me, Hopefully long range tactical precision will fill the void between the amount of 3 Gun I get to shoot and the amount I want to shoot.

8. Putting on a match is a helluva lot of work, but hopefully the sense of achievement of helping stage an event that all of my shooting friends will enjoy will be worth it.

9. 3 Gun does not need a ruling body..

10. Oh and there is nothing more humbling than being the shooter after the best shooter at the match in the shooting order.....

3. It is harder to balance family and shooting when you love to travel for shooting and your family wants to travel with no shooting involved...

Family in general, regardless of the addition of travel on top of it. ;)

7. I love to shoot.. 3 Gun is my passion, USPSA and IDPA bore me, Hopefully long range tactical precision will fill the void between the amount of 3 Gun I get to shoot and the amount I want to shoot.

Yes.

IDPA is too little shooting. Very nice, down-to-earth people locally though, so thumbs-up to them on that.

USPSA.....great for practice for my weak link, but not as fun as 3gun and could care less about membership there.

LR Precision......don't have a toy for it but looking forward to seeing what happens there.

8. Putting on a match is a helluva lot of work, but hopefully the sense of achievement of helping stage an event that all of my shooting friends will enjoy will be worth it.

Don't worry, already appreciated. Can you just go ahead and sign me up now? ;)

10. Oh and there is nothing more humbling than being the shooter after the best shooter at the match in the shooting order.....

LOL, indeed. Or even in your squad.

And along that topic, as EZ mentioned above also, just go have fun and shoot the best you can. Taking it too seriously can take you right out of being relaxed and focused appropriately.

Edited by AustinWolv

EZ , Can I have some free stuff ? :blush:

I'm the type who can't "just have fun" , what I mean by that if I'm doing anything, I give 100%. one of the reasons I gave up ATV racing.

At the time, as long as I did my best I'm happy no matter how I place, I learned a long time ago, there's always somebody better.

I also have a new favorite saying, "I'm happy if your happy . . . . If your not happy . . . I'm still pretty dang happy" :roflol:

I have learned that too many people make too many excuses for why they did not finish as well as they "may" have otherwise.

Keep that to yourself...the guy or gal who did win or finished in front of you does not need to have their achievement lessened

because you "think" you would have finished X or Y if Z had not happened.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I have learned that too many people make too many excuses for why they did not finish as well as the "may" have otherwise.

Keep that to yourself...the guy or gal who did win or finished in front of you does not need to have their achievement lessened

Good point!

Josh....I'll trade ya "free" stuff for "free stuff".......can I have a T&N shotgun? :devil:

Another that I learned.......there are groups of friends in 3-gun, and sometimes one groups members don't like another groups member(s). Sometimes this leads to internet hilarity, sometimes it leads to serious butthurt. I've resorted to just being nice to all parties, and while I may not be real close with everyone as a newer guy on the block, I hope there are few people who dislike me do to my associations.

I have learned that too many people make too many excuses for why they did not finish as well as the "may" have otherwise.

:roflol: That reminds me of a guy who was on our wrestling team waaaaaay back in HS. He would always say.

"I could have beaten that guy, if he wouldn't have PINNED me" :roflol::roflol:

And I could win every match if I shot better :ph34r: It has been right there in front of me all along. :sick: