Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you caught up on your powder inventory?

rdinga

Sitting on 11 lbs of Titegroup I've collected in the last 4 months. some local and some online , but at crazy prices . $ 30.00 - 38.00 per pound . Stupid I know , but at least I have it. Can go back to buying food now

Through prior proper planning I won't be low on powder until 2020 as long as I stay with what I currently use.

I am willing to bet most others . will learn the same lesson this time around

Through prior proper planning, I too, will have enough for a long time....however, I do like to experiment with new loads for new guns and/or old guns...finding powder to experiment with has been....difficult.

I recently scored 5 lbs of Titegroup and 3 lbs of WST to go alone with 2 lbs of 700x and about 1 1/2 lbs of N320 I still have. Unfortunately at 25,000-35,000 rds/yr I'm ok for the time being but nowhere near stable.

I have managed to stock pile 20,000 rds of 22lr so at least I'll be able to get through the US Steel Nationals without issue ...

E3,clay dot,red dot,bullseye and promo 8 lbrs all $117 or less here and in stock.

Just missed out on a big shipment of wst and wsf.

I have 45 lbs of pistol powders so only want more wst,wsf and 7625.

Wst for 45 and 7625 for 9mm are my go to but can't find more 7625 To Add To My stash Since Time Is Running Out On 7625.

I'm pretty flush with components. I have more powder on hand now than ever before, and I did not pay any gouger prices. With the boys starting to shoot more and more, the consumption this year has been a bit more than the past few years.

dkleskiw - You are making huge assumptions using innacurate/incomplete data...

45 lbs of powder is nothing for an active shooting family... 6 grains for a pistol charge? Depends on the powder and lot of other variables.

Shotgun and rifle powder charges are much larger... in the low to mid-20s...

Assuming your 52k figure was accurate... and it's not... that's not an unreasonable number of rounds to expend for an active shooter much less an active family....

Further... who says that we have to work on a zero base component system?

Not all shooters are alike... not all just load for pistol. A lot of us load for multiple weapons of multiple types for multiple people...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Really, 45 lbs?! And you want more!? Really?! Assuming even a charge weight of 6 grains that 52,500 rounds of loaded ammo!

We are creating our own problem here.

Snagged 32lbs of N320 a month ago, already had 30+lbs of misc pistol powders.

Most components are readily available now, pistol powder is the exception. I'd like 3-5 years worth of components if I could. Before I actually started reloading I had always thought 1 years worth of components would be nice, but recent events have proved this to be a poor plan.

Shoot about 20K rounds of misc caliber per year (pistol only), buying in bulk is the only way to buy!

~g

I don't buy powder from local businesses unless its an emergency or I really wanna buy just 1 pound to do some testing.

I was fortunate enough to stock up pretty well before the panic hit and I haven't run out yet.

I did buy a couple pounds of CFE pistol because my local range had them for $29 and I really want to try it.

Pistol powder seems to last forever, Im just now finishing an 8 lb jug of 231 ive had since before the panic. Still have plenty of bullseye and unique. 8lb jug of h110 still has like 20% left too. Im sitting pretty until powder valley is stocked up again.

Edited by darkmod

Really, 45 lbs?! And you want more!? Really?! Assuming even a charge weight of 6 grains that 52,500 rounds of loaded ammo!

We are creating our own problem here.

I have a family of shooters and 2000 a month is not uncommon at all.

I buy local and never overpaid for powder, the last WST i bought was $21/lb, bullseye &power pistol $16/lb and fed small pistol match primers are $30/k the real killer is tax.

I have been looking for pistol powder for a while, and now I think I have too much. At my current shooting level I have about 10 years worth of powder. Just came across some deals that I could not pass up.

Edit:

I should add that my current shooting level is quite low as I am loading on a single stage.

Edit2:

I ended up letting another shooter grab the 8lbs of n320. I am quite happy with my 10lb stash.

Edited by tylenol9999

I'm sitting pretty well on components overall, although somewhat of a mishmash on powders (and primers, for that matter). I've stopped looking for powder through at least the end of the year.

~40# of pistol powder, spread across Titegroup, Silhouette, 7625, WSF, 4756, CFE Pistol, and an oddball 1# of Clays. I'm loading only 9mm Minor, so wasn't particularly looking for Silhouette nor CFE Pistol (now that I've tried it), or the 4756, but - it'll work well enough.

Primers are likewise spread out, which is somewhat of a bummer as I've moved from striker fired to a re-sprung CZ, so I expect at least the Fiocchi and Tula SPPs may give me some issues, which account for a fairly significant ~30%+ of my current stash.

I'm sitting much lower on rifle components, but borderline enough powder for ~5 years, assuming my shooting doesn't increase (~2500rds/yr of .223 only currently), although that will drop as I start reloading .308...

Powders are again a mishmash, but all decent enough for the purpose - 8#+ of Xterminator, TAC, 8208XBR, then misc 1-3# of H335, BLC2, H322, AA2230, and 748. If I had my way, it'd probably be all TAC and 8208XBR, but really, no complaints there. Likewise, sitting OK on rifle primers, with less of a random mix - CCI #41 and Tula KVB556M, so good to go there.

Looking at my purchase history, nearly all of it was online, with a good chunk of powder back in January, some primers + CFE-Pistol when Grafs had a sale in April, bought out a former reloaders mixed powder supply who was stopping reloading in May (misc 1#-ers, mainly, gave some to friends cheap for powder I wouldn't use normally), then picked up 12# of Titegroup on a random 'stumbled across an OK deal and in stock' buy in May.

Eventually, working towards 3-4 years worth of loaded ammo, and 5 years components. I'm still low on projectiles and way low on loaded ammo, but probably have ~5 years powder, ~5 years primers, 2.5 years pistol bullets, and just about 5 years rifle bullets, although the latter is definitely a mix, meaning some I'd prefer to not use for most matches..

Pretty much time to sit back and let the market/availability settle out. I'll probably look to pick up 10-20K of Federal SPP, and some more TAC and 8208XBR around January or so, and see what's happened with pistol powder availability by then, and fill in on projectiles and loaded ammo as time and sales allow.

Just picked up 8 pounds of 3N37. Total now I have 7 pounds left of N320 and 12 pounds of 3N37. Out of town for work so I've been keeping an eye open online. Just nothing to be found and when it is it sells out fast. Only place I can find what I'd use consistently is Gunbroker at 4 times the normal price so I'm not doing that.