Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheapest plate rack

I manufacture some very nice AR500 plate racks. They're not quite as cheap as some of the ones here, but it's a heavy-duty plate rack designed for LOTS of heavy usage - comparable to the nicest Bianchi-spec racks. Our racks include features that many charge extra for, like a full width 3/8" AR500 guard plate, 3/8" AR500 targets, quick-pin removable targets, and a remote reset arm and paracord cable. I don't know where you're located, but we manufacture these just north of Charlotte, NC. You can see some pictures of them at: www.facebook.com/BestTargets

PM me if you're interested.

Edited by swhiteh3

Keep in mind that you really want quality steel. You are going to be fairly close to this thing and poor steel is a recipient for getting hurt. I'm as cheap price conscious as the next guy, but you shop for the cheapest heart surgery? I've seen enough crappy steel to know I don't want it.

Edited to add: This isn't about swhiteh3's post, we were posting at the same time, it is a generic comment on looking for the cheapest steel target. His stuff looks nice :)

Edited by Vlad

• 3 weeks later...

The guys up at Lead Farm said they would build a plate rack for $375. they were damn nice racks for that price.

I need to know more! I built my own for about $250 but for that price I might have saved myself the building and trial and error time.

Don't know that I want to shoot the cheapest plate rack I can find! If I were going to try to have something portable for one man use type stuff I think I would just get some plates with a hook on back and hang them from a long saw horse made out of wood with a protective cover on the front of the long board. Or just don't miss and shoot the wood up.

Mine isn't even a little portable, like 200lbs of stuck in the ground non portable. And the first thing I learned about using wood in my home brewed target systems is that you may not miss, but if you have a high traffic backyard range like I do, you'll swear everyone else is aiming for the wood. That and jacket/lead fragments chew faster than rabid beavers

on ecstacy.

• 1 month later...

I'm sponsored by a target company called Shooters Element. They have the cheapest rifle targets I've seen. The kit I use for a plate rack is about 13 IIRC per plate and I hang them from a bar. They have complete sets though that are also really cheap. I've been beating the crap out of mine for a while and they don't show any sign of wear.

http://www.shooterselement.com/rifle-series-targets/

Edited by DDustin

Yes they've been working on a good bit and he can also do custom stuff I believe. The owner just had a baby a couple weeks ago so he had been slowing down but he'll be coming up with new stuff soon. What did you have in mind? Anything specific?

I've been using the mid sized diamonds for rifle pistol and shotgun plate rack work and the mini IPSC torsos for longer range practice. He just came out with a rifle dueling tree which looks pretty cool and I hope to try out soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this one from Salute?

http://www.salutetargets.com/gravity-plate-rack.html

That looks like the same one that we shoot every month at the local action pistol match. It has seemed to stand up well to the abuse. I have seen it shot with everything up to .44 magnum. One dude even used a AMT in .30 carbine. They break a bolt every now and then, but it only takes a few minutes to get it back up and running.