Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Revolver Nationals

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt, Jerry, and Cliff were spending some quality time together. They are discussing a new revolver sport, 6 shot only, clothing optional.

6 shot major/8 shot minor level playing field huh?

Edited by Pseudonym

Matt, Jerry, and Cliff were spending some quality time together. They are discussing a new revolver sport, 6 shot only, clothing optional.

I must have missed the survey that showed that the majority of the 100ish shooters at Nationals dislike 8 shot guns and are only shooting them to be competitive. Strangely enough, everyone I know has more fun shooting 8 shot minor, even the 6 shot diehards who finally tried it out of curiosity.

Edited by bdpaz

I must have missed the survey that showed that the majority of the 100ish shooters at Nationals dislike 8 shot guns and are only shooting them to be competitive. Strangely enough, everyone I know has more fun shooting 8 shot minor, even the 6 shot diehards who finally tried it out of curiosity.

It is not a question of dislike, in order to win you must shoot and 8 shot gun. It is not a level playing field period.

I would also like to point out to those people who were accusing Jerry of being the driving force behind this 8 shot minor rules change, that he has not shot a major revolver match since the change.

If the 8 shot minor was to increase revolver participation at major matches has it succeeded? If going by the nationals numbers no.

2013 First stand alone revolver match(no 8 shot minor) 119 participants

2014 Second stand alone revolver match(8 shot minor) 113 participants

2015 Third stand alone revolver match(8 shot minor) 106 participants

If it was to increase it at the local level has it done that?

Based on classifier scores 3% or so,

http://uspsa.org/doc...nualReport.pdf

It is not a question of dislike, in order to win you must shoot and 8 shot gun. It is not a level playing field period.

I would also like to point out to those people who were accusing Jerry of being the driving force behind this 8 shot minor rules change, that he has not shot a major revolver match since the change.

If the 8 shot minor was to increase revolver participation at major matches has it succeeded? If going by the nationals numbers no.

If you count IDPA, he did shoot the 2015 indoor nationals with the stupid 4" 625 at major.

I was very suprised he shot that match, but I think there is a sponsorship question at work there given the match is sponsored and hosted by S&W.

Aside from that though, i tend to agree. On every video clip I watch he complains of hand pain from shooting handguns. That combined with the payday coming from 3gun, what is the point?

Lot of people dropped off this year after looking at the weather forecast... But the weather at the match was actually very good.

Lot of people dropped off this year after looking at the weather forecast... But the weather at the match was actually very good.

I know that I, and a few others I shoot with, dropped out because we don't want to make the trip to Barry. It's a beautiful range but I would rather Nationals be someplace cheaper/easier to get to.

I know that I, and a few others I shoot with, dropped out because we don't want to make the trip to Barry. It's a beautiful range but I would rather Nationals be someplace cheaper/easier to get to.

Well, it is not about cheaper to get to, it is the Nationals. You either want to shoot it or you don't.

Well, it is not about cheaper to get to, it is the Nationals. You either want to shoot it or you don't.

Pretty much. I mean, I get it, for the majority of us cost matters. On the other hand, no matter where nationals or any big match is for that matter, its going to be far and expensive for at least some to get there.

I understand the sentiment, you kind want a couple options for places to eat and maybe a half decent hotel. For some people this is a deal breaker, I get it.

Never gonna make everyone happy. Before rev was attahed to SS, the last year there were a whopping 18 entries in the division, so while it isn't perfect its 10x better than what was before.

That's it. 100+ shooters for Revolver nationals in the last 3 years is a huge change.

As for hotels, I've shoot USPSA and IPSC Nationals at Pasa, Frostprof and Vegas. In each case hotels were about 30..40 min away from the range and food was equal so-so in either area. Only Vegas was close from the airport and for other two you had to drive couple hours to the place. I guess the same was for the Nationals held in Utah.

What I like about Nationals not being at Vegas is that it makes more about shooting...

I think it's possible that our next president could decide to hold Revo Nats (probably with SS Nats) at different venues in future years. I think it's also possible that the 1911 Society guys could hold a back-to-back major match in Barry regardless of what USPSA decides to do.

I think it would be great to have multiple major Revo matches in different parts of the country every year. (Sam bringing back the Memphis match is a great start!) To be taken seriously, these would need to be major events, with real sponsor support and real prizes on the line.

If you look closely at the stages from 2015 Nats you will notice they were designed to make 6-shot major an entirely viable option. Most of my "empty" moon clips still have 2 live rounds in them.

Edited by Carmoney

I think it's also possible that the 1911 Society guys could hold a back-to-back major match in Barry regardless of what USPSA decides to do

This seems pretty likely right? I have no direct information but by all accounts the SS nationals are an unqualified success story. If they could run more days they could probably fill 700 or 800 slots.

The people that run them certainly can get burnt out, no question, but the match is obviously very successful.

If you look closely at the stages from 2015 Nats you will notice they were designed to make 6-shot major an entirely viable option. Most of my "empty" moon clips still have 2 live rounds in them.
How many folks brought a major gun with them?

You finished well, do you think 6-Major would have improved your performance?

Well, while it is in Barry I choose not to shoot it. I did it a few times and now I don't need to go by plane, train and automobile to do it again. I can fly or drive to other matches for less and when I get there I will have more to do during the off hours of the match. I think I'll decide for myself if it is about cost or if cost is a factor.

This match didn't decide major or minor, last year's match did. The decision as to which gun to bring was based on last years stages. If these stages were at the match last year, the major minor conversation would have been a different one for the last 12 months.

Possibly the reason that the 1911 society released the stages early, an anomaly for them from my understanding of it, was to make it obvious that major was a contender. Major was a contender in this match, please don't let those results fool you. It's just that no one brought a major gun.

Go look at the % of points that were shot at the top, all hovering around 90%. Tons of Bs and Cs, because there were no shoots everywhere. This match favored major scoring, and in my opinion, it could have competed.

This match didn't decide major or minor, last year's match did. The decision as to which gun to bring was based on last years stages. If these stages were at the match last year, the major minor conversation would have been a different one for the last 12 months.

Possibly the reason that the 1911 society released the stages early, an anomaly for them from my understanding of it, was to make it obvious that major was a contender. Major was a contender in this match, please don't let those results fool you. It's just that no one brought a major gun.

Go look at the % of points that were shot at the top, all hovering around 90%. Tons of Bs and Cs, because there were no shoots everywhere. This match favored major scoring, and in my opinion, it could have competed.

Exactly correct.

Exactly correct.

Well I shot major and I shot it very poorly this year. We had 7 of the 13 major shooters on my squad. So yes there where major shooters just not anyone above a "B" I think. We decided our shooting team should be called "The Major Minorities" .

That's it. 100+ shooters for Revolver nationals in the last 3 years is a huge change.

As for hotels, I've shoot USPSA and IPSC Nationals at Pasa, Frostprof and Vegas. In each case hotels were about 30..40 min away from the range and food was equal so-so in either area. Only Vegas was close from the airport and for other two you had to drive couple hours to the place. I guess the same was for the Nationals held in Utah.

What I like about Nationals not being at Vegas is that it makes more about shooting...

We stayed in Pittsfield, IL, it was 17 miles away and only $55 a night for a great room......

That's after the fact though. That doesn't really help someone who decided five months before the match not to go because they only own a 6 shooter. :D

Summarizing my first Revolver Nationals;

Driving from CA wasn't all that bad.... (Got to visit gun shops that have really cool stuff wink.png )

Stages, although short, were set up well and we got through them before the rains came.

Staff and event were very well organized.

Happy with my performance: 7th / 25 in "C" class, 63rd overall. Had a couple of ugly stages that hurt.

Raffle Table; extremely disappointed. Other than a few guns (My cousin won one) A crappy hat, some kind of spray cleaner sample, and a grip sleeve is NOT a raffle prize at an event like this. Those are items the manufacturer gives out at their booths. With all the sponsers, I would have hoped for something better. If I had to guess, I would say the SS guys got the good prizes.

Will I go again? ............... Heck Yeah!

you did better then I did at the raffle, I won a pair of oakleys, which were pretty fugly, traded them off for a hogue cylinder release - which i'll use.

Stages were ok, I had five or six "top 10" runs at the top of the hill, I like the short stages , they really had a high disaster factor with the no shoots that were every where. I do which there were a few more higher round count field courses, but I sort of expected this from what we experienced at the 2014 nationals.

Finished 13th over all, 4th Master.... Aiming for top 10 next year.

Personally my reason for not shooting the revolver nationals after competing in 2013 (when my mother came on the trip with me) is that it is on Mother's Day Weekend. In a choice between spending time with my mother or shooting Revolver nationals, my mother wins. I have read on several message boards where this same reason caused others to not attend also.

I am not pushing for a date change, but I for one would make every effort to attend if it was on another weekend other than Mothers Day Weekend. The numbers are still really good for attendance, so I don't expect that the date will change. I do hope to see the return of the Memphis Charity Challenge, as that was a great match every time I was able to compete.

Edited by Blueridge

Moving it a couple of weeks later may also reduce the likelihood of rain, it was not an issue for the Revolver shooters but those who shot the Single Stack match on Thursday and especially on Friday had a miserable time of it.

The squad that I video'ed on Friday spent 11 hours at the range, the next day they were done and finished in 9 hours. The revolver Super Squad finished in about 7.