Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Revolver Nationals

So I had some free time at work today (don't tell my boss) and took a look at the numbers of what could have been major vs minor at this year's nationals.

Took times and hits from the stage winners, adjusted points for major scoring, and added reload times. For every standing reload I added 2 seconds, and for every moving reload I added 1 second.

I have the adjusted numbers for each stage if someone is interested in them, on paper of course, but the results were interesting. Major won 8 stages by my math: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, and 14. Stage 9 was a draw as it was shot perfectly with a minor gun. All those stages but one were short, 60 points or less, all under 10 seconds, and of course were all 6 friendly. Stage 14 was the lone long course that the 6 gun won. That stage really only forced a reload before going through the door, everything else was 6 friendly. The 8 shot guns averaged more than 96% on the stages that the 6 gun won, while the major guns only averaged 94% when they lost.

What does it all add up to? By my best math, minor scored 1120.34 match points while major had 1116.62. That's a second place finish for major, in this specific match right around 99.67%.

That's strictly numbers talking there. At the top a few standing reloads could have been quicker, and a few moving reloads could have cost less than 1 second. Wide open paper could have been split faster, as could partials not looking for an A.

But minor gave the upper hand in other places as well. Steel could be engaged faster without fear with spares in the gun. Make ups didn't cost more than a transition.

Edited by MWP

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a virtual dead heat, isn't it?

Obviously, that only applies at this particular match, where there was an obvious effort to bring the two platforms closer to parity. But it shows that with good stage design, that goal can be accomplished if desired.