Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

smith vs springfield

pickupman250

Both companies make several models. Have you figured out which specs you want (Full size/Commander/Compact, night sights/target, finish, range gun/carry, etc, etc. I'd focus on specs and then pick the brand and model rather than the other way around.

STI Trojan

LOL

As for the two mentioned in the top post, IMHO it depends on the individual sample you get more than the company's name. Mass made guns have a spread of quality at fit. If you get a good one, you'll be very happy.

I agree totally with this statement. I actually own of S&W's (pro series) But, all of the S&W are mass produced firearms ( The Pro Center having the most hand work done ) I dont have any experience with the Springfield, but there are a lot of guys at local matches that use them. STI Trojan would have been one I would have considered as well

I am looking at full size. and I do love the looks and feel of springfield guns. I own a xdm 5.25 9mm and a xdm 3.8 .45acp and I love them. I also like smith for I have a 500 and a 629. but no 1911 yet. all the years I have been shooting and it is along time I have never owned a 1911. I don't want to spend 3 grand but I also don't want to get a cheap model either. so I figured between 1200 and 1800 dollars would be a good start

I voted for the Springfield because they have been a supporter of firearms competitions for a very long time. I have shot several of the TRP's and they are very well put together. The Smith is nice, but Springfield got my vote because of their support.

I voted for the Springfield because they have been a supporter of firearms competitions for a very long time. I have shot several of the TRP's and they are very well put together. The Smith is nice, but Springfield got my vote because of their support.

S&W also supports shooting competitions and puts a lot of guns on prize tables.

My vote would be STI Trojan.

Edited by RigPig

Of the two you are considering one is railed and one is not, unless your looking at the E-series smith not the performance center. whichever you are looking for, i recently went thru the same dilemma and actually bought three .45 1911's, A Colt XSE (not railed), a SIG Scorpion, and a Ruger Navy Seal Foundation. Of the three the Colt is my favorite, but the SIG is an incredible value. Depending on what your intended purpose is for the gun you choose. Both the Colt and SIG are extremely accurate, more so than I expected. Colt has really stepped up their game and my plan for it is a full on custom gun, of which I've already started the process. The SIG with its rail, checkered front strap, night sights, and Hogue grips with the built in magwell, is gonna be left as is. Ive owned a few spring fields and one was good one not so good, and never personally warmed to them. I do have a XDM 5.25 that is awesome. I have no experience with the smith 1911. The Colt and SIG are both just about or slightly over $1000. The Colt also has the least MIM parts, if thats important to you.

Yes. Performance Center .45 Product Codes #170343 and #170344 use the Briley style spherical bushing(shperical bushing inside a 1911 bushing). The first I have seen with the Briley bushing.

The Performance Center used a spherical bushing inside a bushing threaded into the frame.

Early PC guns had barrels made by Briley I believe.

Tom

Just finally bought my first 1911 today, a Loaded Target SS that I got for a steal from the shop i used to work at. Took it out to the range and put a few through it beautifully. Its going to be my single stack gun so I'm gonna put a whole bunch into it. So excited with so many options

I'm a fan of the springers. I do have a smith but prefer my springers. I've only had to call customer service once and they are very good about taking care of you.

The TRP is one of my favorites. The 20 lpi front strap grabs my hand just as much as I grab the gun. I don't feel any slip with it. Very reliable and well put together. I also like the internal extractor look.