Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge .40 Load - Starting Point - Load Long?

RaylanGivens

I just bought a STI Edge in .40 and plan to start shooting Limited, but have never loaded .40 S&W or for major power factor. I have been using VV N320 in my 9mm Production loads and would like to use it for my STI also.

My initial plans are to use Bayou 180gr poly coated FP bullets. SAAMI specifications call for an OAL between 1.085 and 1.135 with flat point bullets. I've heard that a lot of STI Edge shooters load their .40 rounds "longer" to feed better. Is loading longer worthwhile? How long is longer?

Do any of you have a major load using N320 and 180gr FP bullets for an STI Edge in .40 S&W that you would be willing to share?

I would buy a box of factory ammo and see if it runs in your gun. If it does, load around 1.133 and you'll be able to use your rounds in any .40 you eventually own. I started loading long (1.186) for my Edge and regret doing so because those rounds only run in that one gun. I now load at 1.133 and my Edge runs fine. Hope thus helps.

Where did you get the Edge from. Is the barrel chamber cut for long loaded ammo. I load my 40 out to 1.200 oal but the barrel is cut for long loaded ammo

N320 is great powder for the 40, that is all I use

I would buy a box of factory ammo and see if it runs in your gun. If it does, load around 1.133 and you'll be able to use your rounds in any .40 you eventually own. I started loading long (1.186) for my Edge and regret doing so because those rounds only run in that one gun. I now load at 1.133 and my Edge runs fine. Hope thus helps.

Good advice. My Eagle and Trojan both run fine with factory ammo and my loads at 1.140" which also runs in my Glock 35. They should run fine with factory ammo. Try some and load accordingly.

Thanks for all the good information... Very helpful.

I didn't realize that a new STI 5.0 Edge wouldn't accept longer .40 loads without having the chamber cut. Since that is the case I will indeed start out with some standard .40 rounds first.

Purchased my STI Edge at Shooters Connection. It is hard chromed and I assume it will have a standard barrel. I didn't see anything regarding chamber cut options, so I imagine it will come straight from STI to Shooters Connection to me... Hopefully, later this week!

Do people load STI Edge .40 S&W rounds long to improve loading from the magazine or for improved accuracy?

I bought a couple of STI 140mm magazine tubes with Grams followers and base pads. Grams followers seem to present the bullet at an increased angle over the standard STI follower. Hopefully that will lessen the need for loading long.

I go with n320. 5.0 grn. 1.175-1.180 long. 180 rnfp plated extreme cci primer

pf 171

I did send to trippfor reliability and their work was perfect so far

I load 10 rounds in the cobra mags and have shot about 250 rounds since I got it back. No jams at all

Running in a trojan and pleased as can be

My stock .40SW 2011 Eagle did not require any chamber or throat reaming to accept 1.180" OAL and moly FP 180 gr bullets. It fed them just fine. On a couple of custom builds my GS had to ream the chamber and throat a little.

I'm shooting 180 gr FP bullets from Leatherhead which uses the same hi-tek coating as Bayou. 4.6 gr of N320 loaded to 1.180" results in 170-171 PF out of a 5" or 175 PF out of my 6".

I don't actually have the gun yet, but it is a standard STI 5.0 Edge as manufactured. It will have the standard STI factory barrel...

Before you decide on an oal get the barrel out of the gun an head space it in hand. Then you will have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice. My Eagle and Trojan both run fine with factory ammo and my loads at 1.140" which also runs in my Glock 35. They should run fine with factory ammo. Try some and load accordingly.

+1. I tried long out of the box and then realized factory would work fine. No problems and never worked back. Try WWB first and then see where it goes.

take the barrel out of your gun and make a few at 1.18- 1.20 and do the plunk test. if they drop out freely then you are good.

that is good advice, not all chambers are the same length. i just got an sti and it has a shorter chamber than my para. had to shorten oal to keep the bullets from hitting the lands

The reason you want to load long is generally the gun will run smoother with 1.180 to 1.200 ammo.

2nd there will be less pressure due to having a slightly larger combustion area with the bullet seated out farther.

this will often times allow you to load faster burning rate powders that have a perceived softer push/recoil to them

Thanks for all the good information... Very helpful.

I didn't realize that a new STI 5.0 Edge wouldn't accept longer .40 loads without having the chamber cut. Since that is the case I will indeed start out with some standard .40 rounds first.

Purchased my STI Edge at Shooters Connection. It is hard chromed and I assume it will have a standard barrel. I didn't see anything regarding chamber cut options, so I imagine it will come straight from STI to Shooters Connection to me... Hopefully, later this week!

Do people load STI Edge .40 S&W rounds long to improve loading from the magazine or for improved accuracy?

I bought a couple of STI 140mm magazine tubes with Grams followers and base pads. Grams followers seem to present the bullet at an increased angle over the standard STI follower. Hopefully that will lessen the need for loading long.

I have found that with some lead or coated bullets loaded long, you may/could need the throat reamed. Those lead bullets should be mic'ng at .401 but some measure as big as .403 and when loaded long, those big ones will give you grief. Jacketed and plated should be fine as they almost invariably mic at .400.

My new Edge arrived. I had some old .40 ammo that I originally bought for a Glock 24 in the back of my safe, so I tried it. It's RNFP loaded to 1.125 OAL. It passed the plunk test and shoots well from the new Edge. I've shot about 400 rounds on two separate shooting trips. No misfires or jams...

Still waiting on a few pieces to start reloading .40. Hope to get going soon.

Doesn't all this throat reaming and lengthening hurt accuracy? It seems like increasing the diameter of the chamber and/or cutting away the throat area to allow a longer bullet OAL would affect the accuracy of the pistol.

If it plunked load long with a dummy. Crimp it proper. Run the seat die in .005 at a time until it plunks. Knock 10-20 thou off and it should be what you need oal. After that its load development for accuracy. Jmo.

• 2 weeks later...

Always nice to pop into the forum after many months and find just what I was looking for. I just bought an Edge after owning an Eagle for 6 years. I also hear the load long info, generally 1.18 is what I hear the most. My Eagle would run with either 1.13 or 1.18 just fine. Will be making some test loads and hitting the range the next few days to dial in the Edge. I plan to load about 5.5grns WSF under a Bear Creek Moly 180grn . I will end up loading at whatever is the most accurate. My only other 40 is an M&P and I do not need to make major as I run that in Production or IDPA so might even be easier to load the major PF longer so I always know which is which.