Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to get into 3 gun on a budget

aahunt03

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is expensive. Unfortunately but if you have or can borrow repeating shotgun semi auto rifle and semi auto pistol, you can try out the game. You'll need to borrow gear possibly to carry mags and ammo but you can try it out. Have no doubt it is expensive but worth it.

Run what you have. Shoot a buddies gun/guns if you need to. Find out what you like before spending a bunch of money. One beauty of this sport is how helpful everyone is.

I shot my first few matches with an AK-47, cheap 9mm pistol, 5 shot pump shotgun. I didnt do well but had a blast and worked my way to where I am now.

Any suggestions? Seems like 3 gun has a high monetary cost which is a bar to entry for many.

I think setting up a match winning set of gear is expensive, on the other hand I don't think plain gear is what holds most people back, as most of us can't run the gear as well as it can. Shoot whatever you have and replace bits one at a time as you know they are holding you back, not as the fashion dictates.

Any suggestions? Seems like 3 gun has a high monetary cost which is a bar to entry for many.

I think setting up a match winning set of gear is expensive, on the other hand I don't think plain gear is what holds most people back, as most of us can't run the gear as well as it can. Shoot whatever you have and replace bits one at a time as you know they are holding you back, not as the fashion dictates.

Plus one to what he said.....borrow until you know what you want....then replace a little at a time. Remember, everyone has an opinion on what you should use....it's a guy thing:)

Most people have 3 guns they will work to get them by. Shotguns tend to be the most specialized.

Lots of hidden costs in getting your "belt" set up for 3 gun. Many good options but I went with Safariland ELS specifically because I knew a lot of other shooters would be running that system and I could borrow extra gear at the matches and easily attach it. If you do go with Safariland then try to find a half off coupon and order everything but your shotgun caddies all at once.

As mentioned by others you can spend a ton-o-money but can start with borrowed gear. Bring factory ammo and I'm sure you can find loaner gear. But here are some specific suggestions that can get you started, at least shooting on a local level:

Rifle: if you don't have something suitable already you can get a entry level M4 clone for ~$600 and with an inexpensive red dot and some mags and ammo you good for under $700.

Pistol: High cap is better than single stack and takes less mag pouches. Glocks and M&P's are popular but anyting will work.

SG: Many people take an existing field gun and throw on an extension to get started. If you don't have one the sky is the limit but if you do need to buy one its hard to beat a used Rem 870. If you find you don't like the 3-gun game or if you do and move up to a semi-auto SG the 870 will hold its value pretty well and you can get close to what you put into it at a later date.

These options are how I started. About the only thing left of my orgianl AR is the upper and lower receiver and even then its now my back up rifle. I now run a tricked out Versa Max SG but keep the 870 as a back up gun. I stated with a Glock but have switched over to an M&P - just liked it better.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

• 5 weeks later...

Used and going unconventional are probably your best bets. A used mini-14 can be had for less than an AR and will work fine for a beginner. Any striker fired pistol will work (Glock, XDm, M&P Pro). These can easily be used for USPSA (one gun, two or more disciplines). Throw in a pump shotgun (Benelli or 870 are probably your best bet) and you're set. Look for deals and you can get all these for $1000-1200. Budget $200-300 for other miscellaneous gear and you're done. Replace gear/guns as funds allow and/or you outgrow it. Or just find someone that has extra stuff you can borrow.

I just got back from the Trijicon World match and I got to put about 70 rounds through the NEW Armalite 3 Gun rifle, it is fan dam tastic and MSRP $1500

Needs nothing but a scope! Great trigger (Timney) adjustable comp. 18" SS barrel. Brandy new sleek hardguard, and Luth AR stock.

Pistol Glock or Smith $600

Stoeger M3000 $500 plus a tube and your time.

That is about a cheap as one can go for guns that can WIN any major match.

Related gear 200 to 300 as Jakobi said.

I shot a 3 gun once with a $200.00 Mossberg 500, $300 ATI .45 GI, and a PTR 91 .308, well the PRT is worth a lot, but there are other ones cheaper you could run. I used to shoot a Glock 17 gen @ that I picked up for $150.00, Just use what you can get your hands on,

I shot my first match with a Marlin Camp 9, G22 and an 870 pump. Even at today's prices I had well under $1500 in gear my first match, and the equipment hardly affected my score.

I have a VersaMax that I have put 150 rounds through, but it has about 2500 on it, the rest from loaning it out. If you have the desire, you can get there begging and borrowing over time.

Look at P.E. Kelley's list, truth! I actually think you can get a competitive AR, with an optic for much less. I just sent out 3 uppers, really ready for 3gun with some customization and they were in the $800 to $900 range. Add a lower with a CMC trigger and you will be at about $1250.

I run a Production legal M&P with just basepads, so you don't need a tricked out pistol either. Been working on a set of M3000s and honestly, they are a killer value. I can see them being one of the most popular in a few years.

Find the local matches, go watch, ask questions, get a lay of the land. Don't take advantage of people loaning you guns for like a year, but for the first 3 or 4 matches, using loaners is what I recommend.

What guns do you currently own? Use what you have to get an idea of what you want then plan and budget accordingly. It's likely after a few matches you'll get a better understanding of what works and what doesn't, and as mentioned many will let you borrow their gun. But don't take advantage of their generosity.

Use what ever pistol, rifle, and shotgun you already own to get started! If you don't have any I would recommend like a Glock 34, stoeger M3000, and always check the classifieds for a used AR. As far as gear that's going to be a big spending. If you don't know what you like (as far as shotgun caddies), feel free to ask other shooters about their gear and more than likely that will let you try it!

The rest of the story is not the cost of gear...at least not in comparison to what it costs to go to matches and practice for a season.

We didn't bring any guns to The Trijicon World Shooting Championships and the bill for me was better than $2,000

That buys a shotgun and a pistol with holster set-up and caddies. And you get to keep it!

If your able to build a rifle, or know someone that can help you out with one you can build one for pretty cheap. Upper and lower receiver, give the the Anderson a look as they are well made and not very expensive at all. For the handguard a Nordic is nice if you want an extended one or even a DPMS rifle length free float can be had cheaper. Throw on an A2 stock and a decent barrel and run with it. For the trigger, a GI trigger with a pretravel adjustment screw for the grip screw and JP springs and a cutdown "speed hammer" will get you a pretty decent trigger for like 20 bucks or so. For the comp a good miculek works well and is about half or less what the others are.

On the Shotgun like others have said a stoeger 3000 and a tube and run with it.

Pistol, use what you have or go with a glock or MP a good 3 gun holster like the safariland ALS can be had for less than 50 bucks and the guns not coming out.

Pretty competitive gear can be had on a budget and still preform and not hold you back especially if just starting out. The areas that people usually spend the most on that dont really offer expensive stripped uppers and lowers and free float tubes when a much cheaper one will serve the same purpose.

• 1 month later...

Easiest way is to "Run what ya Brung" my first 3 gun match was an Iron Sighted AR15, Stock M&P9L and a remington 870. After my 1st stage, guys were asking me if i wanted to borrow their guns just to make the pain stop.

You have to start somewhere

This is my first year shooting 3 gun I now have my first 3 gun shotgun (Beretta 1301) My hand gun is a multi purpose gun I use it for USPSA limited its a SW core 40sw no optic, My Ar is nothing more then a cheap AR none major brand with a bushnel 1-4x24 scope that I found at a pawn shop for $78 tax included at the store same scope is $279

My thought is go to matches you will see what works and what don't Shop around looking for good deals... ask shooters if they have extra gear for sale. I picked up my uspsa set up for $200 cr speed belt holster and 3 mag holsters I've added another CR speed holster for different guns (CZ/tanfoglio) for $75 used

There are many Multigun clubs who offer a 2 gun class (rifle + pistol) at their monthly matches. This is popular with new shooters.

Most shooters perusing a web forum about competition practical shooting probably own at least one semi auto pistol and an AR, AK, or. Mini-14. Don't feel like you need to show up to your first match with tricked-out, advanced level gear. Bring firearms that you use regularly and know well.

If you dont already own, use, and know your guns, a 3 Gun match is not a place to learn firearm basics.