Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The reason for shooting-specific pants

Cy Soto

the reason i wear shooting specific pants is because the get dirty, tore up, covered in lead and such and i don't want other pants to get this treatment. i like the 5.11 taclite pants as well. or the 5.11jean style pant. i like what synthetic fabrics get me over different tempurature and weather ranges. i like they have history in shooting. they are tougher and have loops in the right spots versus generic outdoor pants from rei.

I've bought several types of "tactical pants" to shoot in mainly because they are more comfortable than jeans to shoot in. To me they allow for more movement especially when running or having to squat down for a shot. Also as stated in the above post, they get all kind of stuff on them and tears and its better for me to have a pair of pants or two for this specific purpose. Plus they just make you look like you know what your doing!

I normally wear the 5.11 TacLite pants, plenty of room and pockets. I just picked up a pair of SOG tactical pants that are made of really stretchy material and they are the most comfortable pants ever! I can't see them being that durable but we'll see in time. The comfort level is just unbelievable so even if they don't last long, I may just stick with them.

I normally wear the 5.11 TacLite pants, plenty of room and pockets. I just picked up a pair of SOG tactical pants that are made of really stretchy material and they are the most comfortable pants ever! I can't see them being that durable but we'll see in time. The comfort level is just unbelievable so even if they don't last long, I may just stick with them.

They don't happen to be the new SOG pants that they are selling at walmart are they? I've looked at them but couldn't find any reviews. If they are one in the same i may pick up a pair based on what you say.

I use these REI pants. In the summer I wear the shorts portion. During Fall and Spring matches its very easy to convert when the day warms up. I have had one pair for over 4 years now. Holds up great and makes a good hiking pant too.

http://www.rei.com/product/861660/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-with-no-sit-zips-mens-32-inseam

I have recently picked up some of the Tru-Spec Simply Tactical Cargo shorts from US Patriot Tactical, going to grab some of their trousers to try them out. Good quality and at $23 a pair (shorts) and $33 for trousers a good deal I think.

http://uspatriottactical.com/tru-spec-24-7-series-simply-tactical-cargo-shorts/

Edited by terrydoc

Wrangler cargo pants from Walmart for me. They are tough, light weight, ripstop material and only cost $15. I can buy 3 pairs for every 1 pair of "tactical" pants. I have been using the same 2-pairs for 3 years and they are holding up well. The knees are just starting to show wear. The best part is there is a tool pocket behind the left cargo pocket that is open on top. It fits a 30-round Pmag perfectly or 2-M&P mags. I use the tool pocket for my make ready mag and to store my used mags after a stage.

I settled in to a specific set of pants without really meaning to. Once I caught on to the fact that I picked the same pair of pants for every match, I bought a few more pairs.

They're the Mountain Hardwear Piero pants. They're a slight stretch fabric, have well placed belt loops, are lightweight, and gusseted and reinforced in all the right places. Not a ton of pockets, but they are a 5 pocket pant (2 front standard, 2 rear standard, 1 right side zipped small cargo) and I've never had any problems with a lack of space. They're also water resistant, which has been a plus.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-piero-pant-OM4879.html?dwvar_OM4879_variationColor=203

Because we are gadget people by nature. My wife has a belly laugh when she sees me reading about & shopping for Techwear shirts, Spikecross shoes, or the best hat to shoot in.

It's nice to have a pocket for Barney mag at LAMR, but other than that, it's all show. But so is all the dress up in cowboy action. Different pants have some features that are nice, like the built in knee pad pockets, & the strap on 5.11 pants.

I have a pair of Truspec 24/7 pants with zip off legs that are great for transition weather.

The cowboys/cowgirls are actually wearing costumes though. I would have expected practical shooters to be, well, more practical in their garb selections. Some almost seem as if they are ready to race a criterium...

Edited by Hotchkiss

• 2 weeks later...

Wrangler cargo pants from Walmart for me. They are tough, light weight, ripstop material and only cost $15. I can buy 3 pairs for every 1 pair of "tactical" pants. I have been using the same 2-pairs for 3 years and they are holding up well. The knees are just starting to show wear. The best part is there is a tool pocket behind the left cargo pocket that is open on top. It fits a 30-round Pmag perfectly or 2-M&P mags. I use the tool pocket for my make ready mag and to store my used mags after a stage.

Same for me, they also have shorts in rip stop. And even better they have a fleece lined cargo for the colder months. As I've gotten older and dress for comfort and function I've become an even bigger fan of Wrangler. Their loose fit jeans are the only jeans that fit me.