Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you practice?

Ben Stoeger

Depending on what we're qualifying as "practice", I chose once a week, and it's almost always at a match. I typically shoot 3-4 matches/month, and don't have time for much live-fire practice. I do alot of dry-firing in my gun room several times a week, if that counts.

I hate to admit it, but I NEVER dry fire (okay, shoot me) and usually practice

in the middle of the week before a local match.

Nowhere enough to fulfill the limited potential I have as a shooter - but

I just can't force myself to practice more. :ph34r:

Guess I should never admit this, and say that I dry fire 3x/week and

live fire twice a week, but it ain't so ....

I am just curious about this:

I hardly practiced until I read your book. I now dryfire 5 days a week, and shoot a local match the 6th day. I take a 7th day off because I need to handle life's other issues, but I do practice my grip then.

nc19

I try to dryfire 45 minutes a day but my elbows are starting to dislike that so its every other day at the worst. Live fire 2-3 times a week. One match a week or occasionally 2.

Edited by RussellM

Dry= 2 to 3 times (3 if no weekend match)

Live = 2 to 3 times (3 if no weekend match)

I just switched to Open from Limited. So i will drop 1!live & 1dry after I get a grove.

Edited by a matt

Dry fire four to five days a week for a half hour or so, longer if it is a weekend day. Then I will mix in some reloading with dry fire. All of my week day dry fire happens after 9pm when the little one goes to sleep.

I try and live fire once a week. For a while that was me alone in a bay for an hour or two. Lately I've been trying to hit a local match for practice since switching to open. I find shooting full stages helpful right now and it is easier than setting up my own.

I picked most days, but its not completely accurate.

My problem is that this goes in patterns, I practice for big matches, like an area match, for 2-3 solid months, where not a day goes by that there is not live fire, dry fire or both. Then when its over, I drop to a couple times a week.

This is tempermant issue, not staying interested, and is why I remain mediocore. The long term goal is not important enough obviously.

I don't dryfire match days as it tends to be a long tiring day shooting and driving.

I dryfire pretty much every day, live fire once a week, sometimes 2 or 3 times if you count matches.

I have a hard time getting up early enough to do even 10-15 mins of focused dryfire before a morning match, but I have noticed a significant improvement in my performance in the weeknight steel challenge matches if I spend 10 mins or just on draws and transitions and trigger press between getting home from work and leaving for the match.

I take a few days off after a match I've been focusing on.

I shoot two-four local matches a week. I'm new so this is also my only competion as well for now.
I practice dryfiring and stretching two to three days a week.
Edit; at this time I don't have much time for live fire practice. :(
I shoot two weekday steel matches, each of which I run through twice.
I also shoot 3-5 Weekend USPSA paper matches per month.

Edited by Jaycwebb

I shoot two-four local matches a week. I'm new so this is also my only competion as well for now.

I practice dryfiring and stretching two to three days a week.

Edit; at this time I don't have much time for live fire practice. :(

I shoot two weekday steel matches, each of which I run through twice.

I also shoot 3-5 Weekend USPSA paper matches per month.

I need to move to rio salado...

4 matches a week!

Pretty much everyday: 1-2x a day dry fire except sundays. Livefire 2x a week including sundays... This was my routine before I developed tennis elbow. Its more than a year since :(

Eta. 1 dryfire session usually lasts more than an hour.

Edited by BoyGlock