Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why are witness elite limited's so rare in uspsa?

3djedi

They seem like a good choice for limited over the plastic guns and half the price of 2011's so why are they so rare? Is it because of aftermarket support? Or is there something about the gun most people don't like? What is it? Maybe since Ben Stoeger is using a tanfo people will start looking at these babies. The elite limited's are damn sexy.

Are there any top guys in uspsa limited division using one? In my own limited experience in uspsa at the local level I've never seen one. It's mainly 2011's, glocks, and M&P's. I'm actually pretty excited to be using something that is not mainstream. lol

I don't know, but Ben shot the IDPA Classifer (there's a youtube video) with a Beretta and scored a 59 or something outrageous like that (anything below 90 or so is Master class). I don't claim to be a good pistol shooter compared to most of you guys, but anyone who can use a de-cocker Beretta and score Master is phenomenal.

Now that he's shooting a Tanfoglio I guess the sky is the limit. The prices are creeping up on the Tanfos here in the USA, so it seems that they're becoming more popular, or maybe the company is growing tired of trying to take its rightful place in the US market. :sick:

+1 on the EAACORP crappy service.

Don't get people started on the problems they have had working with EAA , or you may crash the system.

It would be incredible if we had another importer here for Tanfoglio products.

So product availability is the main problem for why you don't see more people using this platform.

I'm trying to remain positive for the future.

I'm actually pretty excited to be using something that is not mainstream. lol

Same here, but I think my area has discovered the secret... we had THREE Tanfoglios at a local match last month, and we typically only see around 15 competitors at our local matches. Having J.D. Sales close by for parts and support doesn't hurt though. :-)

The EAA Witness Limited can be an effective pistol for the Limited Division. I have used the EAA Witness Limited pistols for many years in the Limited Division with great success. I think there are several main detractors that keep shooters for using it though....

(1) Feeding Issues - The .40 Caliber magazines use to really suck causing endless nose dive jam issues. If you didn't make custom ammo and wave a dead chicken over you magazines before every match it would result in endless jams. The good thing is that Mec-Gar designed a new style of magazine which produces solid feeding so the issue is resolved. The bad thing is that there are many years of bad nose dive jam issues from shooters using the older style magazine. This jamming stigma will probably never go away.

(2) Lack of EAA Competition Support - Many shooters, myself included, have had significant issues with EAA's customer support or the support of EAA pistols that have been geared up for competition. If you never modify or change anything on the gun EAA will honor the warranty. But if you change ANYTHING to make the gun more competition ready they will immediately void the warranty and send you packing if you have any issues. I can understand their stance on this from a business perspective, but it does not make sense to sell a competition gun and then not expect shooters to swap parts or modify the gun to make it more competition ready.

(3) Lack of After Market Parts Support - There are only a few vendors providing after market parts for these guns so your upgrade options are very limited when compared to other platforms like the 2011. The few aftermarket parts that are available are fairly expensive given what you get. The other thing to consider is that EAA does not sell certain main components of the gun. For example, they will not sell you a stripped slide. You have to buy a whole upper assembly which is almost as expensive as a whole gun.

(4) Lack of local brain trust or gunsmith support - Since these guns are not commonly used in competition there isn't a lot of local brain trust to leverage for figuring out the best upgrades, ammo, or supporting equipment. You are basically on your own with figuring out what works and doesn't work as well as figuring out solutions when it does not work. Finding local gunsmiths that have competition level experience with EAA/Tanfo guns is pretty hard. You are usually forced into shipping your gun around for high quality gunsmith work or you need to do all of the work yourself.

All of these things combined make using an EAA/Tanfo Limited gun less appealing than simply using a 2011.

I had a couple guns imported by EAA. I sold both of them precisely because getting parts or support of any kind, even accurate information, from EAA was impossible. They suck.

Edited by lawboy

EAA does suck donkey nards. They have a terrible distribution chain in the US which means buying what parts they DO or MIGHT have results in you paying full retail.

Those friggin asshats had a limited pro conversion kit upper that they wanted 768 dollars for. I could buy a new damned gun for 200 dollars more...

Anyway, EAA bashing aside. What are you guys doing for magazine extension/basepads? The henning pads say they require "shaving of the back of the magazine" in order to fit the gauge. What in the heck does that entail?

Those friggin asshats had a limited pro conversion kit upper that they wanted 768 dollars for. I could buy a new damned gun for 200 dollars more...

That was my whole reasoning behind the Chop Shop: you want the top end someone else wants the frame, buy one and split it up! :cheers:

I didn't realize they were so rare. Beretta 92s or Para Ordinance double stacks are rare. :)

You didn't? Lol

I looked at thr 2011 limited national equipment survey. It was like 175 STi's, 35 glocks, 20 m&p's, 4 CZ's and 1 tanfoglio

Those aren't the actual numbers but I do remember for sure 1 tanfo. .. one of 200+ is pretty rare. Lol

Oh and there were 9 para's.....

Edited by 3djedi

it's a bit different in europe and here in australia too.

We have many guys shooting the tanfog standard division IPSC model here (called limited custom - looks just like your EAA limited but ours has the lightened slide).

price here for the limited custom ($2300 with 4 mags) is about on par with a base 2011 (STI Edge here is over $2K with one mag).

There is definitely less aftermarket support for the tanfogs, but for a basic standard division gun you can easily get a bolt on *thumb rest [generic]*, plenty of grip options etc. it's a pretty good alternative to the 2011's.

Limited_Custom_hardchrome2.jpg

You can't make a generic comparison between internationally distributed Tanfoglio branded pistols and USA distributed EAA or Tanfoglio branded pistols. These two brands of pistols are the same from a mechanical perspective with the actual differences being minor variations in slide cuts, grip panels, naming, and things like that. But the differences between the two companies who sell and support these brands is HUGE. Tanfoglio actually cares about the competition shooting sports and has very good customer service. EAA is the polar opposite of Tanfoglio in these two areas.

Since EAA is the "Gate Keeper" on all EAA or Tanfoglio branded pistols coming into the US we are pretty much screwed in the United States. For me, a big part of it comes down to wanting to support or represent a company that could care less about the competition shooting sports. There is no question that the EAA or Tanfoglio pistols are viable options for competition use, they are competitive. But do you want to be flying the flag of a company or brand that could care less about the shooting sports? Look at all of the 1911/2011 based companies that invest tens of thousands of dollars each year supporting the shooting sports. These are also the same companies that will bend over backwards to support their products being used in the shooting sports. These are important facts that shouldn't be ignored. Personally I am choosing to move away from the EAA/Tanfoglio brand of pistols for competition use for these two facts alone.

Comparing prices of the guns internationally is also irrelevant because there are many other variables that need to be factored into the total price of the gun. Importation Expenses, Customs Fees, Taxes, Shipping, and Accounting are all factors that go into determining what the final price of the pistol is going to be. That and every country has different rules or regulations around these expenses. So you can't simply say that a pistol imported from the US should cost the same as one imported from Europe.

Echo everything CHA-LEE states. I shoot a Limited in USPSA (9mm minor & 40 major) and steel matches and if I were starting over ... I would go with a 2011 for all the reasons posted above. EAA is terrible at every aspect of being a gun distributor in the USA and just the lack of parts availability is enough reason to buy a different brand for competition.

When I bought the Witness Limited for around $975, it was by far the most gun for the money in the limited division. In today's market with EAA Witnesses going for $1200, I would try to find a used 2011.

I just received my elite limited in the mail today. Very nice and it fits my hand better than the 2011.

I'm hoping that with a national champion like ben Stoeger using a tanfo the guns will become more prevalent in uspsa. Maybe with that will come more aftermarket parts and hopefully EAA support.

Edited by 3djedi

I just received my elite limited in the mail today. Very nice and it fits my hand better than the 2011.

I'm hoping that with a national champion like ben Stoeger using a tanfo the guns will become more prevalent in uspsa. Maybe with that will come more aftermarket parts and hopefully EAA support.

All I can say is ........ Don't hold your breath while waiting for EAA to change their ways.

All I can say is ........ Don't hold your breath while waiting for EAA to change their ways.

I'm not. I bought the gun knowing the situation. Hell, I never heard of EAA until maybe 2-3 weeks ago. When I first saw it I thought "when did electronic arts start making guns!" Lol

I just got a pretty good deal on the pistol and wanted to give it a try. I just got the gun today and shot maybe 20 rounds but man, seems like a sweet blaster!