Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to become an RO?

Bonzo

I did several searches trying to find a thread on the topic, but really didnt find what I was looking for. So here goes-

I am fairly new to the sport- almost two years in. I shoot local matches and have recently shot my first level two match. I feel like my club could benefit from having a few more RO's to help run squads. I pitch in grunt work, but thats about as much as I can do. I want to do more, and would like to become an RO but want to make sure I'm ready. I'm honest, fair, detail oriented and efficient. There are shooters that are on par with me skill-wise that are RO's but I'm not sure thats a good guage. At what point did you become an RO, and what made you decide that you were ready to run a squad? What questions should I be asking myself in terms of "am I ready"?

We try to get most of our people started within the first 6 months. RO's are the ultimate gamers of USPSA because knowing the rules gives you options on a stage unless the stage was designed by an accomplished RO. The knowledgeable designer/RO closes the loopholes and forces the shooters to compete on an even playing field.

There are two basic types of RO's. The ones who run shooters and pretty much stop there, and the ones who are interested in keeping the stages and shooters legal. The latter ones are the ones that specialize in stage design and troubleshooting of those stages.

IMHO, you have already waited too long. As long as you can keep up with the fastest shooters watching for safety and keeping the timer close, the rest of it will come. While I feel ROs should be competent active shooters, you do not need to be GM level at all. I ran supersquads at Nationals when I was a mid C class shooter...had no issues at all, except some butterflys. I had a few great mentors pushing me along as well. The RO courses will help you be a better shooter as well.

After writing that post, take the class the first time it is available to you. For most people, I think one should take the class as soon as they think they can be of help to the matches they attend by taking over RO duties. Read and study the rulebook until the class. Ask to run the timer and scoring device at matches before the class. The class is quite thorough about teaching the rules and making you learn to use your rulebook in detail. If the class, the homework, the openbook test and the range exercise don't prepare you to begin the OJT of running shooters, nothing will. Getting hooked up with experienced RO's to teach you the ropes of running shooters is of great value but you will learn the most by just running people through the COF.

Take a class. Finish the course work and become certified. Then seek out a few exceptional ROs and ask them to mentor you. Steal what works from all of them -- and realize that the class is only the beginning of your education....

.....then as soon as you are able, pay it forward.....

Even though i am not a certified RO, I have run plenty of shooters in local matches. lots of times it because no one wants to do it. I have about 7 years in the other sport and 2 in USPSA. I have run D-GM's with no issues. Truthfully i have RO'ed with some certified ones that did not seem to know what they were doing. If your club will let you hold the timer in a local match, just do it.

Be confident, but not arrogant. Take charge, but not pushy. Always be fair and if not sure of your call, grab the MD.

I need to take the next class :devil:

Edited by Sandbagger123

I signed up for the RO class before I even joined uspsa (i had shot 1 match, after shooting 4-5 idpa matches, and someone was organizing an RO class, so I jumped in with both feet). So I would say you are already behind the curve. It will help your shooting, and it will certainly help your club to have you as an RO, and unless you're a jerk, you'll probably learn alot and enjoy it.

Just remember, you *always* will have a lot to learn, and if shooter are jerks, you can just +2 them. ;)

Edited by motosapiens

Take the RO class as soon as you can. Work as a RO as often as you can. In two or three years, take the course again and see what you can pick up the second time around.

I have taken the course twice with two different instructors and got something different from each of them. Second time, i only took the first day of the course due to time constraints on my part and if nothing more than for a rules update, it was worth the time.

Even if you never take the test and get certified, I feel taking the RO class is beneficial to everyone. You learn a lot about the rules that will help make you a better shooter. Knowing the rules is important! How else would you know if you got unfairly penalized by an RO unless you know what he's SUPPOSED to know?

I got my RO certification done at approx the 2 year mark, CRO a couple of years later and I still learn something at just about every match I work. I think no matter how much you memorize the rulebook, the 'experiential learning' that you'll continue to gain from practical experience is worth many times more than just the classroom/book study.

So in my opinion, if you have the interest and are willing to take on the responsibility then there is no reason not to take the class. Even if you don't jump in head first and start working every major match that comes by, you'll still have a better handle on the rules that will make you a more informed competitor.

You'll make some mistakes, no doubt about it. RO's aren't perfect by any stretch, but those that have the zeal to keep learning and check and recheck themselves with the rulebook are the good ones.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a class scheduled here in central Fl for Aug but there is a 20 student minimum for some reason ....? At $72/student someone is making some money on this ...? We only have 11 signed up as of today so it looks like the class wil be canceled. Can't take what ain't offered ...

I think it would be nice if Area Championships had RO classes scheduled in conjunction with them ...

We have a class scheduled here in central Fl for Aug but there is a 20 student minimum for some reason ....? At $72/student someone is making some money on this ...? We only have 11 signed up as of today so it looks like the class wil be canceled. Can't take what ain't offered ...

I think it would be nice if Area Championships had RO classes scheduled in conjunction with them ...

in our area, the PNW, the cost for the class is $50.once a RO, if they provide proof that they have RO 5 matches, they get the $50 refunded. Also, an RO get a $ 5 discount weather they RO or not.

Edited by Sandbagger123

The 20 student minimum is imposed by USPSA -- they charge $800 ($40 per student x 20 students) to fly an instructor out to teach. The hosting facility is responsible for covering the instructor's hotel, meal expenses and ground transportation -- either by paying for a rental car, or by providing a chauffeur to ferry the instructor between airport/hotel/range.

A number of classes I've attended or seen advertising for provide lunch and snacks for the saturday portion. Add it all up, and it's not that hard to get to $72/head.......

FWIW there's a CRO class coming up in January in Columbia, SC and at some point in time there's plans to have an RO class in South Carolina in 2015 but I don't have any idea of dates yet.

Lake Luke in North Carolina is hosting an RO class next month.

I don't have any problem with covering an instructor's expenses to teach the class since I assume he/she is not getting paid to do it? What I do object to is a flat rate no matter what the actual expenses are ... in this day and age of "Expeida.com" it isn't all that hard to find reasonable airfare .... $800 seems a little excessive. Exactly how many folks in USPSA are allowed to teach this class that there is not someone certified who wouldn't need to be flown in?

From what I've heard in my area it's not so much that folks aren't interested, it's that there never seem to be any classes offered. Since I joined in Jan 2012 this is the first class I've heard about in my area & going to NC or SC is just not realistic when you live in central Fl, sorry.

well apparently whining about this is good karma since I just heard the class is a go. A friend of mine who also wanted to take the class called the instructor who said he had 19 signed up which was close enough since there was still 1 month to find at least one more student ...

looks like I'll be able to shoot several more big matches this next year if I can get accepted as an RO for them ... & mountains of free brass too .... )

I don't have any problem with covering an instructor's expenses to teach the class since I assume he/she is not getting paid to do it? What I do object to is a flat rate no matter what the actual expenses are ... in this day and age of "Expeida.com" it isn't all that hard to find reasonable airfare .... $800 seems a little excessive. Exactly how many folks in USPSA are allowed to teach this class that there is not someone certified who wouldn't need to be flown in?

From what I've heard in my area it's not so much that folks aren't interested, it's that there never seem to be any classes offered. Since I joined in Jan 2012 this is the first class I've heard about in my area & going to NC or SC is just not realistic when you live in central Fl, sorry.

IIRC the remainder -- think profit on airfare -- goes to fund the operations of NROI, including the annual instructor's conference. Essentially NROI has a mission to be self funding......

I have no desire to get into a quibbling contest with you, but not every club in this country is located next to Disneyworld and Orlando International. I fly out of a major hub and have ate up the majority of the airfare getting to some clubs with 1 flight a day and 3 plane changes to get there each way. That is why if it is less than 6 hours one way I will drive, but sometimes that is not an option. We have looked at pricing many times. We only raised our pricing when we got to the point we could not make the nut once you add in pricing for materials, shipping and other expenses.

One another point. Any Area match that is a Level 3 can get a half price class as part of putting on the match. Rarely do they take advantage of that option.

This is just my opinion.

Jay

fair enough. I know you can't force them to do it but that's why I made the comment about having classes at Area matches. If we want more people to be ROs than we should be looking at ways to making it easier for people to attend classes and combining events like RO classes with major matches seems to make sense ... something for the ADs to be doing ...

We need all the trained RO's we can get. I entered into the fray several years ago because there were always a certain few who always stepped up. Knowing the rules, and helping out, and having a solid cadre of RO's at your club is beneficial to the sport. At our club, we are growing the sport because of it. Biggest issue is trying to find a class to take. Do well and welcome to the next step.