Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to become an RO?

Bonzo

there is nothing worse than arriving at the first stage of a local match to discover that there is only 1 or 2 ROs and they will have to shoulder the duties for the entire match ....MD should look at match fee discounts for those who step up and RO level 1 matches, after all for level II & III matches you shoot free if you RO, why not a similar idea a locals ...

There are more than the NROI travel that is covered in the $800

The flight, the materials, and funding for NROI in general.

While the instructors are volunteers (except the DNROI), the are some expenses.. ALL certified range officials got new rule books after the NROI PUBLISHED the new book, this came from NROI funds as I saw somewhere.

As for classes, anyone can set one up.. I scheduled the Lake Lure one 6 months out to ensure we could line up the proper head count.

Some clubs are fortunate enough to have classroom space and shoot any day abilities. So RO classes can be challenging to schedule.

Edited by RadarTech

fair enough. I know you can't force them to do it but that's why I made the comment about having classes at Area matches. If we want more people to be ROs than we should be looking at ways to making it easier for people to attend classes and combining events like RO classes with major matches seems to make sense ... something for the ADs to be doing ...

There are some people who would like to become ROs but are not willing to give up 2 extra days of vacation time plus 2 extra days of hotel costs, 2 extra days of food, yadda, yadda, to attend the class. That is what people who travel have to do if the class is in conjunction with a LIII or Nats,

$72 per isn't that much now, is it?

WindowsSon683.

Don't hamstring yourself by saying that.... Put the word out to the entire area.. Set the date 6 months out.. Contact your AD and SC..

I planned one and had only 8 people interested to begin with.. Of the. 24 in the class, only 10 are local some are traveling 6 hours to the class..

Put the word out, Facebook, SC news, you might be surprised! I have people from other sections that just couldn't fit closer classes in their schedules......

• 3 weeks later...

WindowsSon683.

Don't hamstring yourself by saying that.... Put the word out to the entire area.. Set the date 6 months out.. Contact your AD and SC..

I planned one and had only 8 people interested to begin with.. Of the. 24 in the class, only 10 are local some are traveling 6 hours to the class..

Put the word out, Facebook, SC news, you might be surprised! I have people from other sections that just couldn't fit closer classes in their schedules......

My RO was local because we were the ones putting it on. I traveled 8 hours each way for my CRO course because that was the closest available.

One another point. Any Area match that is a Level 3 can get a half price class as part of putting on the match. Rarely do they take advantage of that option.

In Area 3, we do this every year. :) It is a great way to keep the price down, and hold a class even with a smaller number of people in it.

We try to make sure we advertise so people in surrounding areas can take advantage of it also, and we've been able to hold a class every year for the past several, in conjunction with A3. We plan on continuing this----we always need more ROs. We also try to hold a CRO class at the same time under the new CRO class setup. Didn't work this year (not enough folks), but we managed it last year.

(I wish we had been doing it when I got my RO ticket---I drove from NE down to Rolla for the class to get mine. And then got my CRO using the old online method.)

wish they'd do it like IDPA, study up on your own, take a pre-test, then the course itself is only one full day, part class and part range. weekends are precious! and if one has to drive 2-3 hours for the class, 2 day classes make it 2x the hassle.