Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Shootoffs at Nationals?

B.J. Norris

I got the new Front Sight today and saw that there will not be shootoffs at this years Handgun Nationals. The Shootoffs were the perfect way to end the match and really top things off, its really fun to not only watch the top shooters go head-to-head, but also listen to the joking and teasing going on between them. :angry:<_<

If the shootoffs at the 2004 Nationals lasted 3 hrs max( i don't seem to remember them lasting that long though) then each one would be cut in half (basicly)...

Seems like they(Match organizers) could find 2 hrs to get it in before prize awards that evening?

Sounds to me like some body has decided not to even try too hard for this "Tradition" to go on....

I'm with ROB on this...

Hopalong

I'm surprised by this. The shootoffs seem to always be enjoyed by everyone although the RO's are past needing a break by then. In the early days the actual championship was decided by the shootoffs, the match was just a qualifier to get into the shootoff. I think the experience you gain from being in a shootoff at a big match can't be obtained anywhere else. I know I've never had the adrenalin kick my butt as bad as in a shootoff.

Each time I have watched the shoot-offs at Nationals the number of eligible shooters that actually show up seems to be declining, perhaps that is the reason for it's removal.

Also consider this; Usually the shootoffs follow the last day of the match and the prize distribution is done later that day. By removing the shoot-offs it means that the prize giving can be done the evening of the last day of the match, thereby saving everyone an additional night in the hotel.

This was an issue raised at the Membership meeting that was held in Quincy at last years Nationals. A night in a hotel is about $60, plus you are back home a day early.... Well worth it in my opinion.

what's up with that, no shootoffs. last year a good friend and customer of mine, john guida, finished 15th in limited. he called my wife and i to tell us how pumped up he was that he was going to the shootoffs. a few hours later he calls me back to tell me that they aren't taking the top 16 but the top 12. i thought that was the most ridiculous thing i ever heard. here is a guy that busted his ass all these years in this sport to get to that level and someone decides to change it all at the last minute and cut him and a few other deserving shooters out of some of the spotlight. what a bunch of crap, i think i was more pissed off than john was. now there is not to be any shootoffs at all, what the f!%* are they thinking, it's a tradition that should be kept in the match. who's idea was this and what's next.

Pasa needs a shootoff setup like the Frank Garcia's, it only takes one man to set all the steel. Each popper has an air cylinder hooked up in network to a compressor and surge tank, open a valve and presto, the steel sets itself! The only need then is to paint the steel. B)

Money talks gentlemen. It seems that the membership asked why the nationals was in the red. This may be on cost/time cutting effort.

If the membership wants auto reset poppers for the shoot offs, I would suggest talking to USPSA and have them budget them into the nationals expense. PASA is only a host club. I am for having it a Franks place............in the middle of July.

I am all for having the shoot offs, but if they are done the same as '04 you can have them. The '04 shoot offs were a joke. Include the top 16 from each division. As for the Ladies, well........set it up however you want, I will come watch.

When you talk about the nationals remember who is supposed to be the one in charge of getting it organized (dates, location, BUDGET). If you don't know the answer call Sedro.

It is all a prat of having two nationals back to back. If they held one big match again we could heve the shootoffs.

True the income for the two MAY turn out to be larger, but I feel the real reason was to allow some of the Top Doggies to compete twice.

Heck, I may try to do both as well, but only because the extra time is minimal and the only real expense is a couple more days in a Hotel and a few more meals.

Oh, and $250 more in match fees.

Jim

I would gues that it is a logistic/staff issue. 

Won't most of the staff be up on the range, working their stages over for the second half of the Nationals?

Do you really need all the NROI present to have a shoot-off? Why not a dozen or so members step up and volunteer to set it up? What's so hard about it? I'm sure a vast majority of the shooters at the Natl's are RO's or CRO's anyways.

Maybe we could get a little input from the Area Directors?

Only if we can get some input from the Pres.

I didn't know about the no-shootoffs until I read it here. My *guess* is that it is a logistical thing, because if you look at the schedule, one match basically starts at the same time the other is ending. There isn't a "free day" for the staff to change over the stages and all. But that's just a guess.

We have a Board meeting this coming weekend. I'll ask the question, and post what I hear back.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

I hope the weather cooperates. Even a half day rain out will put them off the schedule. I am sure people will be making their plans to fly out sunday morning. If the match gets delayed it's going to cause travel problems. With putting the shoot offs and awards on their own day then if there is a delay the cushion could be the cancelling of the shoot offs.

Thanks Bruce.

I hope the weather cooperates. Even a half day rain out will put them off the schedule. I am sure people will be making their plans to fly out sunday morning. If the match gets delayed it's going to cause travel problems. With putting the shoot offs and awards on their own day then if there is a delay the cushion could be the cancelling of the shoot offs.

Wouldn't rain in July in Barry be a blessing?

If USPSA covers me on the materials and shipping, I will build the auto reset poppers at zero labor dollars.

Eric thank you for offering to build them.

Now you need to contact Sedro and work out the details. I am sure Dave T will be glad to hear from you.