Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are proper forum ethics?

I hate biting my tongue. I'd rather have the truth unabated. At the same time, I still want to show respect to the members and respect to the forum admin.

Many here know what allegations are afoot and exactly where I am from and what I am talking about.

At what point do we take the blinders off and discuss our true feelings?

I can't point to the rules but in general you should stay away from personal attacks, name calling, swearing, and calling others put in general. We could and should definitely talking about this in the context of how to deal with potential cheating in USPSA.

The forum guidelines prohibit almost anything derogatory. The USPSA forums have no such restrictions. I have always been torn using these forums. I try my hardest to respect the wishes of Brian and his staff but sometimes things go on that just should not be ignored. The strict rules here do make this a great place to hang out. I personally get enough political crap from the news and talk radio and yes I am extremely unhappy with our country's current state of affairs but nothing sparks an argument like politics!

If you want to get the real scoop on this current cheating fiasco check out doodie project forums, gun nuts or FB. You will never get any real info here. Everything will continue on here with everything in perfect harmony in the shooting world. Just like when the whole Tory thing happened.

It's tough. I wish we could talk about the negative things that go on that impact us without it getting out of control. But that is probably a pipe dream.

I like hanging out here but I do go elsewhere for the rest of the story.

It's Brian's house. We all are guests. If you're out somewhere, at a friend's house and he requests that you drop a topic, do you ignore his wishes and expect to be invited or allowed to stay?

From the forum rules:

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
• Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

And note that your post, avatar, and anything in your signature represent you, and your relationship with the Forum's Guidelines.

You all are in a tizzy over unproven allegations. Brian doesn't want the drama here -- so let's respect his wishes. If you find that you cannot, then you're certainly welcome to start your own forum, and institute your own rules.....

It's petty hard to say unproven allegations after a casual glance at the evidence being presented. While I understand that focusing on the negative is not desired it does raise someone important procedural questions for match management and shooter's expectations that should be discussed in a civilized manner.

Also, I see nothing on the list which you provided that would mute sensible discuss on this topic.

Edited by alma

It's petty hard to say unproven allegations after a casual glance at the evidence being presented. While I understand that focusing on the negative is not desired it does raise someone important procedural questions for match management and shooter's expectations that should be discussed in a civilized manner.

Also, I see nothing on the list which you provided that would mute sensible discuss on this topic.

You forgot one thing...moderators have the power to interpret as they see fit.

I understand that discussion about scandals is taboo but this is not about something done in a shooters private life that does not directly affect the sport, there is a challenge on the integrity of match officials and it is something that will affect this community in a very real way. To pretend that nothing is happening is doing a disservice to all here even though the way which went approach this topic on this forum must be a constructive and resolute.

Edited by alma

What are proper forum ethics?

I hate biting my tongue. I'd rather have the truth unabated. At the same time, I still want to show respect to the members and respect to the forum admin.

Many here know what allegations are afoot and exactly where I am from and what I am talking about.

At what point do we take the blinders off and discuss our true feelings?

Depends on the forum.

"At what point do we take the blinders off and discuss our true feelings?"

Not here. The forum owner makes the forum rules. There are lots of forums where anything goes.... but be careful what you wish for. Speaking from experience, you may get pretty tired of listening to morons rant and end up leaving that kind of place.

Edited by bountyhunter

Has anybody asked Brian if he wouldn't mind a well moderated discussion on this issue? Maybe he can post a statement. I know I'd like an opinion from one of the sport's founders. Just sayin'.

I've looked at the evidence and it speaks for itself. Honestly, the actions of one person do not have me project those same actions onto the sport of all other officials of the sport. I see no reason why a productive conversation about how to safeguard the sport would be forbidden herein. Complaining and accusing are one thing, but finding solutions is always good.

In the FWIW area, there are numerous personal attacks herein. Does not make it right, but they are certainly present.

AGREED.

I have said it about other topics. This is NOT the USPSA forum. It is a place to share and improve what and how you play the games. I do not think it has a place here and I think the forum rules support that. There are at least three other places I am aware of that this can be discussed and you can get your fill of it.

It's sad that this happened and I am pretty convinced the allegations are true. My focus has now switched to what will HQ do about it and how will they handle it. This goes back to the whole transparency thing and whether or not they elect to inform the membership of their findings and the course of action taken.

If the rumor that it is being investigated by the BOD and not just NROI is true, that seems to me like it is being taken pretty seriously. Probably proper to let them get through it before anyone jumps too far in any one direction.

<with USPSA shooter hat on> The allegations are serious and the effects are potetially terrible if true. It'd be nice to be able to talk about certain things

<with Mod hat on> This is a hot enough topic that people can't or won't be civilized about it. Names will be called and that will be end of it. There are indeed plenty of places to talk about the issue in depth that I have seen the past couple days.

If the rumor that it is being investigated by the BOD and not just NROI is true, that seems to me like it is being taken pretty seriously. Probably proper to let them get through it before anyone jumps too far in any one direction.

I think Chuck Anderson has posted he will be leading the investigation for the board....

AGREED.

CORRECTION: The Moderators have "the power to interpret" as we all (me and all the Mods) see it. Without exception.

While there may potentially be more unvarnished information at some other forums (some true, some not), the childish name calling, chest beating, mob-mentality and alpha dog shenanigans leave me so terribly weary.

I have seen countless polite, well-reasoned disagreements on this forum that did not disintegrate into the kind of trash I have seen elsewhere. To that, I give my thanks to BE, the mods, and the stand-up members of this forum.

I like my home clean.

While there may potentially be more unvarnished information at some other forums (some true, some not), the childish name calling, chest beating, mob-mentality and alpha dog shenanigans leave me so terribly weary.

I have seen countless polite, well-reasoned disagreements on this forum that did not disintegrate into the kind of trash I have seen elsewhere. To that, I give my thanks to BE, the mods, and the stand-up members of this forum.

I like my home clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZG8KQJni8&list=RDMFZG8KQJni8