Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Suspected of Cheating in USPSA Matches

Well, you all know how to fix some of this....VOTE THE NEXT TIME BALLOTS ARE SENT OUT. Area 6 has more shooters than any other area, we can be heard...we can change things...don't like the comments left on FB? You guys know what to do....get involved instead of whining.

I'm somewhat a noob, but when and how does one go about voting?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup...USPSA/IPSC and many of its experienced/known members leave much to be desired. This is unfortunate as the game itself is quite exhilarating. Myopic and parochial views are quite abundant.

All I know is that some of the supporters comments have made me question the integrity of the supporters

This coupled with the good luck finding help at matches posts make me believe this is both accepted and widespread. Im just about done with this "sport".

"You can say what you want about Paul Hendrix but he has done a very honorable thing by his act of resigning saving our sport from having to deal with a potentially long and difficult process. I appreciate his courage and unselfish contribution in so doing."

Not in a million years is what he has done courageous or unselfish. By resigning and removing himself from the authority of USPSA he has done the equivalent of fleeing to a non-extradition country after committing a crime. It is a cowardly and loathsome thing to have done. What courageous actually looks like is remaining a member and writing to the board admitting his wrongdoings then standing tall while he takes whatever punishment is metered out.

"You can say what you want about Paul Hendrix but he has done a very honorable thing by his act of resigning saving our sport from having to deal with a potentially long and difficult process. I appreciate his courage and unselfish contribution in so doing."

Not in a million years is what he has done courageous or unselfish. By resigning and removing himself from the authority of USPSA he has done the equivalent of fleeing to a non-extradition country after committing a crime. It is a cowardly and loathsome thing to have done. What courageous actually looks like is remaining a member and writing to the board admitting his wrongdoings then standing tall while he takes whatever punishment is metered out.

Do you suppose he was laughing as he typed that? It's hard to believe that his supporters have continued to stand by him to such an extent. I am confident that the BoD will hand out the appropriate or at least full extent of punishment available to them. There are several others who have been lobbing shells for PVH for whom I have lost all respect. Anything in USPSA that they might run for I will support the other guy/gal by default. I will also be steering far away from at least one particular gun-related business who's owner has shown his true colors during this fiasco.

My USPSA dues are up in July. Thinking about dropping membership all together. What's the point in supporting a corrupt organization? I pretty much only shoot locals anyways.

What specifically makes you think the organization is corrupt?

My USPSA dues are up in July. Thinking about dropping membership all together. What's the point in supporting a corrupt organization? I pretty much only shoot locals anyways.

Beat me to it......

Having a section coordinator and former bod member thank the cheater for rendering a bunch of major matches meaningless isn't proof that the whole organization is corrupt, but it's certainly not confidence inspiring either.

Can someone explain to me why, with an official USPSA investigation (that was not announced on the USPSA page nor disbursed via email to membership or SC's) being conducted, that we have to read about it on the A6 Facebook page?

President appoints someone, we hear about it on FB. Investigator asks for information vie doodie and FB, "result" announced via FB with a resignation from USPSA - no ban, no punishment, just an allowance to slip quietly into the night, and membership is not being informed about it?

Crickets chirping, vast majority of shooters in USPSA remain clueless. As if nothing ever happened. One of the largest scandals to impact our sport and if you don't facebook, chances are you don't hear about it.

I am asking this as a USPSA member, not as a section coordinator because I don't want the issue clouded that in my "official" capacity as an SC I am speaking for the organization.

Furthermore, with implications so widespread and potentially damaging, why isn't the President or the DNROI heading this up? Isn't this the kind of thing Strader and Amidon get paid to sort out?

The President is supposed to run the National Matches. The DNROI is supposed to deal with misconduct of officials. So, to me, the appointment of an investigator was the appropriate action by the BOD. However, I do think that the communication should have been to the members and not on the internet, in general both initially and any interim or status updates.

The President is supposed to run the National Matches. The DNROI is supposed to deal with misconduct of officials. So, to me, the appointment of an investigator was the appropriate action by the BOD. However, I do think that the communication should have been to the members and not on the internet, in general both initially and any interim or status updates.

Was this not the misconduct of an official? Was this person not acting as an agent/representative of the NROI, especially in L2 & L3 matches?

Was this not the misconduct of an official? Was this person not acting as an agent/representative of the NROI, especially in L2 & L3 matches?

I think there is a difference in accused versus confirmed. But that might be splitting hairs.

I think there is a difference in accused versus confirmed. But that might be splitting hairs.

Wouldn't the director want to confirm if the accusations are true themselves? I know I would. Especially if I was getting paid to keep everything on the level with the membership. I would feel like this was on me.

Wouldn't the director want to confirm if the accusations are true themselves? I know I would. Especially if I was getting paid to keep everything on the level with the membership. I would feel like this was on me.

you mean by appointing someone from a different region to investigate the situation? That sounds like a great idea. Maybe someone like one of the western area coordinators who may be less likely to be personally acquainted with personalities involved....

What I've read on doodie is that Chuck Anderson is tasked (and I think put himself forward as having the type of experience needed) to do the investigation. It may be clear to us that PVH did what seems blatantly obvious on multiple videos, but sorting out how culpable others are might be much more difficult and much more time consuming.

If you formally delegate someone to do an investigation, you wait for the official report before making a decision. Otherwise you're are jumping to conclusions. Seems only fair that the President and DNROI would wait for Chuck to present his findings, and even then they will want to convene the BoD for the final say and only then make announcements.

They may yet ask for heads to roll, but only after being sure. They will not want to act on partial information, especially on other individuals beyond PVH himself.

spelling edit

Edited by kevin c

OK, all that makes sense. Did Strader or Amidon tell us, in official correspondence that this was the path forward? AFAIK, Chuck told everyone on Doodie and Strader put something on the A6 Facebook page. Not exactly official. But please correct me if I am wrong.

I think the communication should have been done via email to all members rather than Facebook or even USPSA's own website as the former would only be seem by members whereas the website and Facebook are open to just about anyone.

The members need to be informed of this but we should not air our dirty laundry in public.

you mean by appointing someone from a different region to investigate the situation? That sounds like a great idea. Maybe someone like one of the western area coordinators who may be less likely to be personally acquainted with personalities involved....

Exactly. I don't agree with Chuck on everything, but I trust his integrity fully and I think he was a good choice in this instance.

As a person who is in courtrooms and conducts investigations involving huge sums of money, fatalities and lots of emotions on a regular basis, I know that being emotionally detached from an investigation is important. The whole conflict of interest thing is also something we do not know about. I have had to refuse cases where I know, or have worked for entities involved in a case, and that may have happened here, so we should not be jumping to conclusions.

Exactly. I don't agree with Chuck on everything, but I trust his integrity fully and I think he was a good choice in this instance.

As a person who is in courtrooms and conducts investigations involving huge sums of money, fatalities and lots of emotions on a regular basis, I know that being emotionally detached from an investigation is important. The whole conflict of interest thing is also something we do not know about. I have had to refuse cases where I know, or have worked for entities involved in a case, and that may have happened here, so we should not be jumping to conclusions.

The party involved was very active in Area 6 and likely other surrounding Areas; so it would make sense that you would want a party as removed as possible to head the investigation.

Can someone explain to me why, with an official USPSA investigation (that was not announced on the USPSA page nor disbursed via email to membership or SC's) being conducted, that we have to read about it on the A6 Facebook page?

President appoints someone, we hear about it on FB. Investigator asks for information vie doodie and FB, "result" announced via FB with a resignation from USPSA - no ban, no punishment, just an allowance to slip quietly into the night, and membership is not being informed about it?

Crickets chirping, vast majority of shooters in USPSA remain clueless. As if nothing ever happened. One of the largest scandals to impact our sport and if you don't facebook, chances are you don't hear about it.

I am asking this as a USPSA member, not as a section coordinator because I don't want the issue clouded that in my "official" capacity as an SC I am speaking for the organization.

Furthermore, with implications so widespread and potentially damaging, why isn't the President or the DNROI heading this up? Isn't this the kind of thing Strader and Amidon get paid to sort out?

They don't give a rat's behind about the membership or what the membership thinks. Heck, they don't even communicate with us. Get with the program. Shut up, pay your dues, and shoot.

Is the full investigation concluded, or is it on going?

It is still ongoing according to what I read (wait for it) on the A6 Facebook page :).

Yep, Chuck Anderson wrote on the A6 FB page that he finished the investigation and the BoD now has it to read and act on. Chuck also stated many on the BoD have fulltime jobs so members need to be patient.

I agree with all of you who state communication from Hq is lacking. There is a USPSA homepage. Hq could have simply put a link to Phil's note on that and a blurb about an investigation taking place and closed with the BoD will take appropriate action upon review of the findings.

I vaguely remember USPSA asking for members to use the homepage and forums. This was a perfect opportunity for Hq to practice what they preach. They missed it.

I thought many of the comments made on A6 FB page and elsewhere on FB were melodramatic, if not inappropriate -- they were certainly hyperbolical. That said, as many have mentioned here, HQ's public communication has been inadequate. Not sure where the USPSA leadership acquired their management skills, but there certainly are more logical, effective methods to handle the situation that would have ameliorated membership concerns.

In the midst of all this, keep in mind that Hendrix's first public remark on the matter was an outright denial, in which he lied about any involvement and claimed he was just reading the numbers off of the timer. (See A6 Facebook last Thursday-ish)

That disqualified him from an honorable exit strategy, in my opinion. You don't get credit for admitting your crime if you only admit it after the entire world has seen definitive proof of your guilt. I'd imagine Hendrix, as a long time LEO, saw this play out from the other side many, many times -- telling suspects things would go easier if they told the truth.