Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 steel grips

jmcqueen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Reading your posts with great interest but would appreciatte some advice please....I note the PT grip use the SVI trigger system, but I do see that SVI has a new/er setup which they note as the newer wider dimension trigger base (http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVITG&n=SVI-Triglide-Base-Titanium-Bow-Hi-Cap--Silver), is this the correct SVI trigger for the PT frame?

Also, does the std STI grip safety, main spring housing, magwell and mag release fit the PT frame or do you need to change this to SVI too?

Edited by AB1

I can only tell you my experience but I didn't use the triglide. I used the standard "new" one without the little bearing for the triglide. I think that one works fine as well but you may want to change the disconnect and sear spring to the triglide system. Here's the one I ordered.

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVITT1911&n=SVI-Trigger-Base-Titanium-Bow-1911--Silver

The standard STI/1911 grip safety is what this was designed for and what I used. I also used the STI plastic mainspring housing but any other MSH should be fine but could require a little fitting. If you have a metal MSH in a plastic grip it may not have required fitting due to the flex allowed with the plastic grip. With the steel grip it may be a little oversized and just need a touch of filing to get it perfect.

The mag release fits fine however due to the subtle change in angle of the grip on the right side you may find the little edge that sticks out to be sharp so you'll want to file that off. Again, super simple just some sandpaper, dremel, or file will do just take it out of the grip file a little and test it until it sits how you want. It will function fine when you drop it in.

I had the STI stainless magwell which required a slight radius on the back half of the grip. It comes completely square so if you compare it with a plastic one it is easy to see what needs to happen, just go slow. I don't have experience with other magwells but I don't think they need as much done as the STI due to the differing designs.

I can only tell you my experience but I didn't use the triglide. I used the standard "new" one without the little bearing for the triglide. I think that one works fine as well but you may want to change the disconnect and sear spring to the triglide system. Here's the one I ordered.

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVITT1911&n=SVI-Trigger-Base-Titanium-Bow-1911--Silver.

Ok, so Im a bit confused, the SVI trigger bow you bought seems to be the 1911 model, I would have thought for the PT frame I would need the hicap model ie. http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVITT&n=SVI-Trigger-Base-Titanium-Bow-Hi-Cap--Silver if I was not wanting to go triglide?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm a knucklehead

This is one, same thing but in 2011 width

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVITT&n=SVI-Trigger-Base-Titanium-Bow-Hi-Cap--Silver

If you go to SVI you can see they have the Triglide and the regular hi cap trigger and a writeup about the differences in them.

They show the triglide as a "system" with disconnect and sear spring. There is a little ball on the triglide that is different than the "regular" one

Sorry for the confusion, I'm a knucklehead

This is one, same thing but in 2011 width

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SVITT&n=SVI-Trigger-Base-Titanium-Bow-Hi-Cap--Silver

If you go to SVI you can see they have the Triglide and the regular hi cap trigger and a writeup about the differences in them.

They show the triglide as a "system" with disconnect and sear spring. There is a little ball on the triglide that is different than the "regular" one

Thanks, thought I had missed something for a moment...recon I will go for the std 2011 SVI bow as I see the triglide combo is out of stock anyway......

I really like the P/T stainless grip that I have on my Limited 5.5" gun. Went with the flat stainless grip. I felt SVs with the aggressive textured metal grips and didn't care for the feel. With the P/T grip I can shoot the gun faster and it feels more stable. The front sight kind of lazily lifts up during rapid fire strings and settles back into the notch nicely. The extra weight really helps soak up the recoil.

I must be the unlucky one when it came to installation, the install was an absolute pain the ass on my frame. If I had to do it again I'd either go with a PT frame from the start or pay a smith to install it. Or buy an SV......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to see if anyone has used this grip with a Manny holster I just can't seem to like the DAA with this grip. Don't wanna try it and it not work

I have had trouble with PT grip and RM DAA holster and sti insert. Draws needed to be perfect or the holster would not release gun.

I just upgraded the RM to the new magnetic with STI inset and things are much better. So far the STI insert did not need any modification and the magnet release helps. Much improved and so far smooth draws.

I also bought a Manny holster and I can tell immediately that this holster will provide the fastest draws. Works great but I have not settled on an adjustment yet. It will take some time to adjust correctly.

pt grips need no fitting 99% of the time on pt frames

pt grips need to be fitted to sti frames and can be a hour to 4 of work (sti frames over the years have very different dimensions)

if you doing a new gun go pt for frame and grip

I got my PT stainless steel grip with aggressive texture in yesterday afternoon. I had no issues with it fitting my STI frame. I did polish up the inside of the trigger channel and areas where the grip would slide over the frame. I also had to grind the bottom corner of the STI mag release so no sharp corners were exposed. I'm head to the range after work to live fire the gun. I did do some dry firing last night and while the aggressive texture may take a little getting used to, the gun stays firmly in your grip on draws and even mag changes.

I'm really impressed so far!

If your fitting a pt grip to the frame make sure it will slide on, if you have to hit it then your likely to have stress in places under recoil,

You might need to fit the front screw area or the area in the rear around the rear grip screws, the older sti guns need lots of work here and the newer ones need less.