Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt Carrier Group Lubrication

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is one of those deals where everyone has an opinion. I used to use rem oil when I didn't know any better. It was fast and easy to apply but dried when it got hot after a few rounds. Now that I have built my own AR and learned a thing or two, I use a grease I got from NAPA that has a high drop point. (this means it won't fail or lose its viscosity at high temperatures.) Thats just what I do. Im no pro and its just my own opinion. But...Its better than rem oil! Good luck to ya.

• 3 weeks later...

I have abandoned Froglube and Seal-1 for anything other than coating exposed parts for rust protection due to performance across the temperature range and stickiness that occurs after shooting and putting a dirty gun away. Rand CLP, FireClean, and Slip products remain at the top of the heap from my use in testing. They improve cleanup, keep the gun lubed for a long time despite round count or resting in a rifle rack, and really don't cost that much if you aren't one of those types who hoses ever crevice with a gallon of product. BF CLP is close to the last thing I like to use on guns and would rather use motor oil in its place.

• 3 weeks later...

lithium grease and 5w20 royal purple mix...on AR and shotgun with Zero fails since going to this combo...both guns are living in high wind heavy dust environment

...cheap and i am very happy...Thank you Red Neck Tactical for talking me into it!

• 6 months later...

I just use synthetic motor oil. It's dirt cheap and always in my car. My rifles do get disgustingly filthy, but I'm fine with running dirty ARs, I like to taunt wisecracking AK fiends with my grossly caked BCG that just keeps on shooting, round after round of steel case (another thing they tend to think ARs can't do.) At the end of the day it just makes me that much more confident that when I finally clean all the gunk off my rifle will run without incident.

Edited by Blowback

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what are you guys using to apply the synthetic motor oil?

Travel bottles for soap and lotion from WalMart or Walgreens work well.

I use Mobil 1 5w-40 synthetic on my AR's and pistols. I run my AR's dirty, never had any issues.

I use Ballistol on my guns with wood stocks as Im fearful of messing up the finish.

Shell Rotella T - full synth - 5W/40

If you are going to use motor oil (not sure why you would...) Rotella is a much better choice than Mobil1.

I have had fine results with Slip2k or Froglube though.

IMO, the Froglube lasts longer than anything else out there. Most oils have to be applied every few hundred rounds in a DI AR. The Froglube is still there doing its thing at 1000+.

what are you guys using to apply the synthetic motor oil?

Travel bottles for soap and lotion from WalMart or Walgreens work well.

I use Mobil 1 5w-40 synthetic on my AR's and pistols. I run my AR's dirty, never had any issues.

I use Ballistol on my guns with wood stocks as Im fearful of messing up the finish.

thanks ill give it try

I have been using Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil for about 6 months now. I have run a bunch of tests in hot to sub-zero, suppressed. etc. I have been very happy with it and I use it on just about everything now.

• 1 month later...