Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm cases - How do you lube them?

jimreed1948

I just dump a whole bunch of cases into the casefeeder and spray some Hornady One-Shot in there, seems to work fine!

Without a casefeeder though, like others said...box, shoebox, cardboard, plastic, etc. anything will work. Just spray the cases and agitate it a little bit. I don't do anything to the cases when finished, just load them up and shoot!

In my experience, lubing cases makes a big difference on a progressive press vs. a single stage or turret press, YMMV. And OP, if you don't have carbide dies, I would suggest getting some.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When using Hornady One Shot I just leave the light lube on the finished rounds, might even help with chambering.

You might want to remove the lube from your loaded rounds. When a round is fired it momentarily grips the chamber. With the lube, you could possibly be creating excessive pressure on your pistols breach face.

When using Hornady One Shot I just leave the light lube on the finished rounds, might even help with chambering.

You might want to remove the lube from your loaded rounds. When a round is fired it momentarily grips the chamber. With the lube, you could possibly be creating excessive pressure on your pistols breach face.

Never thought of that, but very interesting,. thanks

I'm new at this, got a tip to use silicone spray. Cases in a plastic bag, spray a little and shake it around. (Will try using a towel instead.)

I personally won't use anything that could potentially contaminate the primer or powder, especially when there are perfectly acceptable and reasonably priced products available. I useHornady One Shot case lube for pistol and my lanolin/99% isopropryl alcohol home mix for rifle.

Removing media from HP bullets works depending on the bullet. I loaded some 9MM Starfire bullets and then tumbled them. Big mistake. If you wanted the media out of that bullet you had to use a pick.

Removing media from HP bullets works depending on the bullet. I loaded some 9MM Starfire bullets and then tumbled them. Big mistake. If you wanted the media out of that bullet you had to use a pick.

I just told someone else this recently on this forum, but the answer is compressed air, works so much better and faster than a pick.

I doubt if some tumbling media in the hollow point would have much, if any, effect on the reaction of the bullet at/in the target.

I would agree, but I wouldn't want the media falling out in my magazines or my action either.

Two drops of synthetic oil into a large ziplock bag, add about 300 cases, and toss them around.

I do wipe loaded rounds with my wife's least favorite towel. ;)

Carbide dies or not, makes resizing a lot easier.

I put a couple big handfuls in a large zip lock bag, spray One-Shot for 4-5 seconds and seal the bag with most of the air let out, roll and tumble the brass to completely cover it, let is dry 5-10 minutes and load it up, this works perfect for pistol and 223 brass.

I have loaded thousands of pistol rounds, and had never lubed my pistol brass. When I saw this thread I thought you guys were crazy. Well, last night I was having some OAL issues with my press so I decided to spray some one shot in the plastic container of brass and mix them up. Wow! The whole handle cycle goes so much smoother I couldn't believe it. It did solve the OAL issue as well. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm probably the only guy doing this, but I use a silicone spray from Lowes or Home Depot instead of 1 shot. Spray a bit in the inside of a 1 gallon ziploc freezer bag, dump in 200-400 9mm cases, zip it up and shake for a minute...then dump in tray and load....for those that think this will affect the powder, 30k 9mm reloaded and no squibs or under powered rounds. The advantage of the silicone spray is you can also use it to lube your door hinges, trailer hitch, it water proofs, etc. And it will dry to a film and not get gummy...I think I use Liquid Wrench spray...and you get MUCH more than just "a couple thousand" lubed cases from a $3.50 can of the silicone than the 1 shot.

Use a French fry metal strainer. Put in a hundred or so cases and spray( one shot), shake them up and spray again and you are good to go. Works great

Edited by JON

Have never lubed cases. Have cleaned cases probably to the extreme, and polished with Nu-finish.

Using a carbide die they should re-size just fine.

Might also want to clean the die out every now and then.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I throw 100 at a time (I reload in batches of 100 for obvious reasons) in the sandwich size ziploc bags, and shake the bag with a combination of Lee size lube and 91% isopropyl in a 10:1 ratio. In order to give this plenty of time to dry off, I rotate through 3-4 bags--one bag at a time. I started off with Hornady One Shot, and based on this method, I didn't find the Hornady to be more effective, but the Lee stuff seems way cheaper. However I keep the can around to lube the resizing die every so often, since I don't want to spray the mixed Lee concoction as it still contains a small amount of water and I don't want it to rust the die.

As a female shooter with limited upper body strength, it's a HUGE difference. I can't speak for any other pistol caliber since I only reload 9mm, but I can only imagine 9mm benefits way more than even say .40SW and .45ACP. Without the lube, I'd probably get tired out very fast before I loaded much.

Edited by hceuterpe

Quick spray of One Shot one the inside of a ziplock bag with brass. Shake well then done.

This is the method I've used for the last 30,000 rounds, Only using RCBS case lube. I remove the lube from the finished round with a towel. I might have to try 1 shot.

I just tumble 500 cases with a half a cap of Nu Finish in the media. Is that enough or should I spray? Given my experience with some virgin brass I have, I will spray them next time.

LOL!! My First read through of your post I thought you said a "Half a Cup" full of Nu Finish. Disregard