Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR II 1-5

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the intended use, I can't understand why Burris would have said "let's use exposed turrets." I'm not real familiar with a zero stop, but it's only beneficial AFTER you realize your elevation adjustment has turned, correct?

Just got the 1-5 with 556 BDC reticle. Haven't shot using it yet, glass looks great, illumination is brighter than an Aimpoint. Excited to zero it and put some rounds downrange.

Would this be a great " buy once and cry once" optic. For a new 3guner?

You won't cry. That is the whole point. It is not cheap, but it has some features that elevate it to the premium choice for 3Gun. Optics with these features have been in the $2K and up range, and they did not even have features as good as this one.

You will have to decide between mil and BDC. For most newer shooters, BDC is easier and faster. However, the Mil is a little finer allowing a bit more precision in the 350 to 500 yard range. The 300 to 450 is what tends to eat people's lunch at the 4 or 5 matches that use targets past 300.

The only thing scaring some people are the exposed turrets, which have traditionally been no-go for "must work" and 3Gun optics. This set up does not worry me in the least. I ran a few drills where I dialed for one or two targets and shot the close stuff off a tad. It has given me an option I had never even considered.

If you are sure you will stick in 3Gun, sure, it is a great choice. So too, get a 1-4MTAC for the first few matches and then pop that on an AR22 trainer, or a 16" gun and put the XTRII on the main match rifle at that point. I have a few MTACs, and I am not getting rid of them.

I've looked through the one RTR has. Brightness is not a factor for sure, it feels like you'll burn your eye out looking through this thing at high setting. 1x isn't bad but I do get a bit of fisheye around the edges when moving from target to target. The BDC reticle is too thick, the 400yard subtention would easily cover a target making it hard to aim at, haven't seen through the mil version yet but I heard the line thickness is thinner. I don't under stand the horseshoe on a Second Focal Point scope either, just makes the scope way to busy. Maybe one day they'll use a copy of the Steiner Rapid dot 5.56 reticle, if they did that these would sell like flap jacks!

Edited by DocMedic

The mil reticle is much thinner, and it is much better.

The "fish eye" is likely related to the focus. These have almost 4 diopters of adjustment and it is unlikely that someone else'e focus will be perfect for you. Once I got the correct focus point, the image through the optic went flat.

I've looked through the one RTR has. Brightness is not a factor for sure, it feels like you'll burn your eye out looking through this thing at high setting. 1x isn't bad but I do get a bit of fisheye around the edges when moving from target to target. The BDC reticle is too thick, the 400yard subtention would easily cover a target making it hard to aim at, haven't seen through the mil version yet but I heard the line thickness is thinner. I don't under stand the horseshoe on a Second Focal Point scope either, just makes the scope way to busy. Maybe one day they'll use a copy of the Steiner Rapid dot 5.56 reticle, if they did that these would sell like flap jacks!

In the optics section of Sniper's Hide there's discussion of the new Steiner T5Xi line, and the 1-5x with either 556 or 762 rapid dot reticle is supposed to cost $1299 with an estimated September delivery.

Mark, which scope view lever are you using on the XTR II? MGM dosent list this scope yet. Thank you.

Model 1762SV2N3V1

Same as the MTAC 1-4, Swaro Z6i

Edited by MarkCO

In the optics section of Sniper's Hide there's discussion of the new Steiner T5Xi line, and the 1-5x with either 556 or 762 rapid dot reticle is supposed to cost $1299 with an estimated September delivery.

You sir have peaked my interest.

Shot my first match with it. With a 200 yard zero on the main dot the second dot worked at 300, bottom dot is a bit low at 400 so put it on top of the target and it worked well.

Definitely an improvement over my ACOG TA-11 for longer distance work. Was quite impressed with it.

Scope came tonight. Very pleased with the look and feel, the reticle is very nice and much brighter than the MTAC. The turrets are firm and the clicks are positive. I am not worried about them getting bumped when throwing it in a barrel, plus with the zero stop it will be easy to make sure it's at zero.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it mounted and sighted in. I really like this scope, very clear and bright. The illumination is easily visible in bright sunlight. I really like the smaller center dot compared to the MTAC, makes getting a good 200 yard zero much easier with the dot doesn’t cover 4.8" at 200 yards. The turrets are firm and clicks are positive, not as good as a Nightforce but for the cost it really good.

Only complaint is the documentation, Burris doesn’t give a lot of info and they don’t explain the zero stop very well at all. After taking the cap of and seeing how it works it’s a very simple solution and should work well. I am not concerned with the zero getting changed by dumping the rifle in a barrel during a match.

I am going to take it out and confirm holds out to 500 this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. The reticle and extra zoom should make it really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have put a good number of rounds downrange and shot 2 majors with it now. Still very pleased with the scope. Dialing for shots out to 600 yards is very simple, even if I have to RTZ.

I put the 4-20 on my .260 bolt gun and have shot out to 1040 yards with it now. The illumination is not bright, but works well for night work.

• 2 weeks later...