Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR II 1-5

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 1-4 MTAC and have been happy with it...except for the daylight visible illumination. The 1-5 is also supposed to be daylight visible. In looking at Burris's website it says that only the dual focal plane model has a black center dot. This would be your 100 yard aiming point. I called Burris and confirmed that this is the case. The person I talked to at Burris said that the 1-5 will be daylight visible. If it isn't bright enough then you'll have no 100 yard aiming point. Anyone look through one and can confirm how bright they are ?

How much of a pizza box target does the chevron cover up at 25 yards?

So, on 1x at 25 yards, there is about 4" of target on either side of the center horseshoe.

I ran a few drills from 5 to 200 yards today. Very happy with the optic. My 10 year old was hitting clays at 200 yards on the berm with it. I have not looked through a Vortex in about a year, that said, I am not sure there are any 3Gun suitable optics on the market brighter than this XTRII on 10. In full sunlight, I did not want it on 10. 8 was plenty.

These are etched reticles, if you have no illumination, you most certainly DO have a center dot, black.

Ran 2 box tests, perfect. I took off the MTAC/mount as a unit and put the XTRII in a Warne SKEL. It was about 4" low at 100 yards. Made one adjustment and I was putting 5 into an inch at least 4 or 5 times in a row.

I do not know, but even if they did, I do not think I would want it. The numbers are easy to see, the zero stop is very good and the turrets are not loose.

That said, if you really want them, call Burris and ask if you can order one with custom turrets. The Veracity line has standard turrets, and I suspect that they can put them on a XTRII. You will lose the benefits of the zero stop and being re-settable though.

Mark, so I guess the essential question is if this is finally a scope worth the bucks to upgrade from my MTAC. The cost/benefit of uber-priced optics didn't make sense to me shooting inside of 350 yards but the price point and quality of this scope seems like it may be.

Honestly, I don't know how you would decide, but I will try to break it down for you...MTAC 1-4 v. XTRII 1-5.

The XTR adds a few ounces, better accuracy (100 to 600), better illumination, dial per shot ability, better glass.

If I knew I would never shoot past 350, and only 3Gun, it might very well be a wash. I have shot the Tac30 and then the MTAC 1-4 for the last 4 years, so the holds are pretty much ingrained. I am having to think a bit with this new optic for holds and I think in a match, I would check my drops past 300 right before i shot to make sure. But that is more of a change in reticle I decided to make going away from a BDC to a mil configuration.

I did not feel the 4 ounces when I was testing it out on Friday and Saturday.

Hitting a clay at 75 yards and in was not a problem for me with the MTAC. 80 to 200 was a bit tough, but with the XTRII, I was able to make a first shot hit on a Clay from 5 to 300 yards (no timer). The horseshoe/illumination still leaves enough in the reticle to be fast, but a bit less clutter than the old XTR and the MTAC. They added enough to make it suitable for precision while still leaving enough to be fast for the hoser targets. Now we don't typically shoot clays out past 50 with the AR, but that is one of those confidence things for me I guess.

If illumination, and "daylight" visible is important to you, this alone might be worth the upgrade. It is probably twice as bright as the MTAC. It is the only illuminated reticle I have seen that is so bright I had to turn it down in full light.

I have seen very good riflemen dial for a target here and there in 3Gun, some just for one shot and some as a per shot. In most cases, I have not seen any real score benefit. So I tried with this against an MTAC so see if I could beat it dialing per shot...could not do it. However, when I shot some targets in the 200 to 400 range and then dialed for one shot at 550, I could beat it. Will I ever see that need in a 3Gun match? Probably not, but I know what I can do if the opportunity presents.

I am still on a learning curve with this optic, but so far, I am really liking it a lot. The glass quality is amazing and with my aging eyes affecting my shooting more and more, that is a very welcome as well. There is something like +/-2 diopters either side of neutral in the focus ring. I was about maxed out on the MTAC, now I have a bit more on the XTRII. Realize that if you run it at either extreme, you lose the true 1X from neutral. It is a feature wasted on youth, but if you have older eyes, nice upgrade there too.

So, is it worth the upgrade cost? To me, yes. The package offers some features that the MTAC can not and puts it right up there with some of the "popular" optics that cost a lot more. With the warranty and what I know about the QC/durability testing, I have every confidence that this will also be more durable than some of the higher priced optics. I think it is a homerun for 3Gun in the 1-5. I'll be trying out a 5-25 on the bolt gun soon and then maybe get a 2-10 for the precision AR. That is the main reason I went to the mil reticle from the BDC...to have the same reticle on multiple platforms.

Great response to probably the most ambiguous question I could have thrown out there. You hit on something that is really critical for me and that is clarity of image. I have, um, less than young eyes with multiple vision issues and seem to have more problems with image quality in scopes than the average shooter. Thanks for the info.

That is a locking or capped elevation turret. :roflol: Ummm, no.

I have never trusted exposed turrets, but I am not worried about this one. Burris has, in the past put custom turrets (target instead of capped, capped instead of target) on optics at the Greeley plant.