Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR II 1-5

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know there is a big price difference between the two but how does the Burris XTR compare to the Vortex 1-6 Razor HD II from those that have seen or used both? Such as fov on 1x, clarity and retical? Would you be giving up a lot going with the Burris? I know it's about 4oz lighter. Thanks

Vortex makes a great product and they are a good company, however, for me, just looking at the optics themselves, I would be giving up a little going from the XTR to the Vortex. The XTRII has glass quality that is exceptional and the reticle is just about perfect for me. It is a LOT of scope for the money.

I use, and prefer the Mil reticle. If you have no bias, the Mil makes a little more sense IMHO. I used BDC for years on my 3Gun rigs while I used Mil on my Precision rigs, just made sense to switch when the option was available.

This may be a stupid question but how do you use the mil marks? Do you use those like tiny crosshairs for the different distances?

No stupid questions.

Yes, say for instance you have a target at 435 yards, shooting a 69 grain bullet at 2850 fps at the muzzle using a 200 yard zero. At the 435 yards, you are going to hold 2.2 mils for elevation. So you can see the "2" on the ladder, you would place the center of your target just below that. The bullet falls to the 2.2 mil mark from your center dot in those conditions.

Ballistic-CQ-Mil-reticle.jpg

Edited by MarkCO

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this scope. Sold my eotech + 3 x mag for it. I have a question on what Aero Precision mount I should get. I'm confused on the types which seems like regular, extended, and spr. The extended gives 1 inch forward, and spr gives 2 inches forward. Is this just a matter of preference of how far forward I want the scope to be? Which one should I get just to be safe?

Shinne, as MarkCO alluded, there are too many variables to make an accurate guess from the info provided to us. Stock pull, eye relief, placement of scope nobs and eye bell dimensions all come into play before you even get to the point of finding rings with the proper dimensions to match where you place your face on the stock relative to the eye relief that the scope provides.

Here's how you can fairly accurately figure out with some research and calculations:

1. Grab a standard single ring you already own (hopefully you'll have one) and mock it on your rifle with the XTR you already own to get an idea of where you want the eye releif; remember, this isn't to shoot with, but simply to mock well enough to go in the backyard to look at close and far targets from a variety of shooting positions (ie, prone vs. unsupported) to determine proper eye relief. That's your starting point. If you don't have a ring to use... I don't know which 3x magnifier you used, but aimpoint has a 1.3-3.5" eye relief, and the XTR has a 3.5-4.25" eye relief, so you can estimate where you'll want the rear of the scope based on your experience with the magnifier. (Or, for a BAD LAST CHOICE, if you have a 1" scope with a similar eye relief use that.) IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER is that the eye relief will "slide" slightly based on the magnification setting of the scope, so make sure you don't just set it on 1x or 4x and call it good-- don't settle on your scope position until you've really run it through the wringer from a variety of shooting positions, magnifications, and distances observed. Find the sweet spot... 'cuz you're gonna marry it, lol! The best advice I can give you is to excersize some patience and buy/borrow a cheap single ring and use your actual scope to figure this out. A couple dollars spent on a single ring in this stage will potentially save you a $100 in buying the wrong ring/mount later.

2. Find out the dimensions of each iteration of the Aero Precision mount, and using a ruler with the mocked rifle/scope combo you have, you can figure out exactly where the rings will place on the scope, and how the rings will relate to your picatinny on the rifle. You can even cut out fake mount silhouettes with paper if that's what you need to do. (NOTE: I've wondered the same thing with regards to Aero Precision mounts, and I haven't yet found mount specs from them to use. I contacted AP through their website and received no answer, but when I contacted them via FaceBook they got back to me in a few days. I only asked about ring height, so if I were you I'd ask for full specs on all mounts via FaceBook.)

3. Make your best informed decision after playing around with the mockup and paper silhouettes. Worst case scenario, there's a 10% chance you'll get the wrong mount but will know that the "the next one over" is the correct one, and you'll have to do a return.

Or, in my limited experience, the safest bet is to go with whatever mount will give you the farthest forward position. I've found that this gives me the most leeway in terms of back and forth movement both on the scope end as well as the picatinny end. Of course, I've also become slightly farsighted with age, which probably has something to do with my preference for forward mounts.

Hope this helps,

J

Edited by jkrispies

I have the XTR II and Aero Precision SPR. Gives the most forward eye relief, and you can always move the scope back in the mount and/or the mount back on the rail to get less eye relief. Seems the most versatile.

jkrispies,

Thanks for the write up man! I'll take a look into it. I unfortunately don't have a mount ring. The only thing do have is a primary arms magnifier on a larue QD mount but the eye relief on that thing sucks. I'm going to play around with it a little and try to get an extra of where I want the scope to be at.

I'm a little confused on why there are different mounts, couldn't you always move it a little farther forward on your rail if you needed too? I'm guessing that's if you don't have a lot of rail space and this helps with that.

Shinne, again it will depend on your setup. Most people have a standard upper receiver with a forearm that is attached to the receiver via some sort of a nut. It will create the appearance of a solid rail across the top, but there is still a joint of sorts. No matter for attaching flashlights and irons. However for a precision optic that joint can introduce flex on a scope mount so it's best to keep your mount solely affixed to your receiver. Now, if you have monolithic receiver where the forearm and receiver are truly a single piece, then you can mount it where ever you want on that top rail.

that makes sense now. I'm going to try to just hand hold the scope over the rifle and see where I like it at. I don't extend my stock all the way my rifle and keep my nose about 3~ inches away from the charging handle. that's why i'm leaning towards the extended.

• 1 month later...

The SKEL never had the ramps. But I do really like the new XSKEL.

The gun and optic in the video, I took off the SKEL and put the XSKEL in place. Torqued exactly the same and took it to a local match yesterday with no zero, no boresight. I fired one shot to the exact point of aim. Yes, I switched mounts and still had the same zero. Shot the entire match with only on miss (5 yards, trigger jockey mistake). Very impressive!